Jadera

Aviator - freefly helmet

I use the Aviator, and really like it. Secure fit, has slight noise reduction when wearing it, and it's very aerodynamic. It protected my head once when an off-heading opening slammed my head against my 3-rings. It protected my head again when I had a downwind landing not too long ago.

I think you'll like the helmet a lot. I sure do ;)

Skydiving: You either learn from other's mistakes, or they'll learn from yours.

I've been using mine for quite a while and really don't like it. Very poor fit, can barely hear the audible in a sit and zero forhead protection. Laugh...but when you head-butt another jumper (on her forhead that's not covered by her aviator)....it gets bloody. BUT....it was cheap!
my pics & stuff!

I've jumped one for about 100 jumps until I bought my fullface.

I loved the look, the feel, the audible pockets, but the one thing I hated, what the cheapness of the finish.

Everytime I hit my head, the paint would crack, and chip off. Doesn't hurt it structurally, but looks like crap.

I think they've since fixed the problem (bad batch of helmets). They actually offered to replace it free of charge, but I just haven't foudn the time to mail it out.

Will

I bought mine from Square 1 on their eBay store, and got it for $89. I've used it on the last 20 jumps and I like it, for the most part. It's a shitload quieter than my Protec-style helmet (Sq. 1 Brand X, $28 on eBay!), and it's cool to be able to pull your goggles up onto your forehead after opening. I like doing that rather than pulling my goggle straps down over my ears - ouch, twice.

Having said that, I think it could use a bit of refinement: the neoprene panel over the forehead needs to be higher on the forehead - there's just too much material there, if you ask me. It takes on perspiration and doesn't dry fast enough, IMHO.

I do know that my Aviator saved my left ear on my 13th jump - I'd much rather lose some helmet finish than some skin, you know? All in all, its served me well so far.
T.I.N.S.

Don't worry about it - try it on when you get it, and if you don't like it, you can always return it. Square One is really good about that kind of thing.

Oh, and it won't take that long for you to get the helmet - I didn't have to wait more than a week.

Best of luck. :)

T.I.N.S.

Bought mine at Square 1 when I was out there for the tandem instructor course in March. Really needed a helmet and was on a tight budget. Definitely got what I paid for. Crap. Cheap paint job that chips and scratches when you even look at it the wrong way. After the first jump I noticed the the rubberish trim was peeling off. I actually had to reglue the entire seal. I will say it's comfy, but I also agree that it sucks for audibles.

it was cheap and looked nice online, but the coating started to crack after about 15 jumps, ive been really careful with it, ive never dropped it or anything, but just from the tiny bit of stretch that is required to put it on has caused cracks, i wish i would have paid a little more for something nicer. Also the inner liner is only attached with hot glue and i noticed as soon as i got it that the edges of the liner were peeling away. This helmet has been discontinued by the manufacturer for a reason.