Everon

Complete brainlock!

This afternoon, I attempted my AFF level 3 and failed miserably. I've heard level 3 is where some jumpers run into trouble, but not the way I did.

The exit went beautifully and I concentrated on arch and body position while in the hill and was feeling confident and comfortable. I did my COA well (so I thought) and for the first time saw the videographer very close to me (I didn't see him on either of my first two jumps, as I was concentrating on other things). Dumbass that I can be mistook him for a skydiver too close (brainlock) and moved forward to get away from him. In the meantime I didn't do my PHTs, but was wondering why they were still holding me. My main JM shook my wrist and showed me a COA signal, and then shortly thereafter showed me her altimeter - but by this time I was on Mars and it didn't register. Then she shook my wrist again some seconds later and gave me the pull signal, and this did register - and the rest went smoothly. It wasn't until about 1000 ft. or so that it finally sunk in that I just made the biggest asshole of myself!

The good thing is, I guess, is that I explained to them that my only brain cell malfunctioned and they were very understanding of this. In fact, the RS JM (5,200 jumps) asked me to look him up for a re-try, and the MS said she will jump with me again anytime. Both were very emphatic that my body position was excellent, and the videographer told me he would have paid to have such good body position at my level - so I am not discouraged by this jump (as I was for a few minutes after the disaster).

Funny event aside, I have questions for which some of you experienced jumpers may [:/]have insight to offer. During training, I'm always a tad nervous, and my instructors can see this and are always telling me to relax. This is also true in the plane, but when I do the checks and step out, I'm no longer nervous at all (and wasn't today - I just brainlocked). I can tell you honestly that I am not nervous about the possibility of injury nor death, rather it's making a mistake that flusters me, as I am somewhat of a perfectionist even when I know I cannot perform to the best of my ability. If there is some way I can get over this, it would help me tremendously, because going from nervous to immediate relaxation still leaves me vulnerable to the brainlock I experienced today :(.

I know the feeling. It seems like such
simple things trip us up, sometimes.

But brainlock happens. You're squeezing lots of
work, all the "what if" stuff, the sensations, the
sounds and visuals into 40 or 50 seconds. And
you're trying to acquire new skills.

Just replay the events in your head until you jump again.

My guess is that it'll go like clockwork next time.;)

shall
B|

Hang in there.

Way back when I was learning how to skydive, the only way to do that was by S/L. BSRs state that the student does 5 S/L jumps. I hold the record for the most number of S/L done before being cleared to do freefall.
May your trails be crooked, winding, lonesome, dangerous, leading to the most amazing view. May your mountains rise into and above the clouds. - Edward Abbey

Funny event aside, I have questions for which some of you experienced jumpers may [:/]have insight to offer. During training, I'm always a tad nervous, and my instructors can see this and are always telling me to relax. This is also true in the plane, but when I do the checks and step out, I'm no longer nervous at all (and wasn't today - I just brainlocked). I can tell you honestly that I am not nervous about the possibility of injury nor death, rather it's making a mistake that flusters me, as I am somewhat of a perfectionist even when I know I cannot perform to the best of my ability. If there is some way I can get over this, it would help me tremendously, because going from nervous to immediate relaxation still leaves me vulnerable to the brainlock I experienced today :(.

Sounds like a decent jump overall. You were stable, you were aware of your surroundings, you pulled, but brainlocked on what you were there to do. Good job. I have yet to meet any skydiver who had a perfect skydive. Don't get tied up in a "must do everything perfect" aspect, because while you will have great skydives that will be the highlight of your weekend, you will also have complete cluster-f**k jumps that you'll just have to learn from, laugh about, and take as an experience in itself. Don't let the bad jumps fluster you, you're going to have a lot of them, it is unavoidable and part of the learning process.

One of the reasons instructors say "relax" is because you will have the greatest success in stable freefall when your body is relaxed with the wind, not tense and fighting to get into it. What you may find can help you is to rehearse the jump in your mind several times. It works well for me, it has a noticable effect on my students, and overall it can get you in the mindset to be a success. When I say rehearse, I don't mean review the checklist of things you want to do in 15 seconds, I mean take 60 seconds, close your eyes, and walk yourself through it in real time. Take a deep breath and visualize the paces... think about what you are going to do, and how you'll do it. Do it on the ground a few times, and if you have any questions or thoughts, that's a great time to grab an instructor, before you're on the plane. Then do it again a couple times on the way to altitude, take a deep breath, relax, and rehearse what you want to do, from climbout to exit to freefall to pull, to canopy, to landing. MAke it real in your mind, and then you have rehearsed enough to know what to do when you get there.

You will notice a lot of jumpers will do that, even some 4-way teams, flailing their arms around like mimes on crack. You can't stop and restart a jump, so no harm in preparing yourself to do your best.

And don't wory about bad jumps... sounds like you've already got good stability early on, and that is one of the hardest things to get control of.

Hang in there.

Way back when I was learning how to skydive, the only way to do that was by S/L. BSRs state that the student does 5 S/L jumps. I hold the record for the most number of S/L done before being cleared to do freefall.

So Mar, Your the dope rope Queen? :P

Hang in there.

So Mar, Your the dope rope Queen? :P

At least here in the state of Colorado:)
May your trails be crooked, winding, lonesome, dangerous, leading to the most amazing view. May your mountains rise into and above the clouds. - Edward Abbey

Well dude! Its like this. If we strapped you to the roof of a NASCAR and asked you to tie your shoe laces whilst it raced around the track at about 120MPH you could be forgven for making a less than perfect attempt the first time.
Sure in retrospect its a simple task and you may feel like a bit of a D*** but you were essentially plummeting toward the earth like a human meteorite. Mistakes happen and having another dude with 5000 jumps next to you at the time is an excellent opportunity to get those out of the way.

Skyant

P.S. No lie. Stage Four and Five were without doubt the greatest non-chemical highs of my life.

"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."
Edmund Burke (1729-1797)

Don't worry, just keep trying.

youll get there within no time.

i had brainlock where i froze cause of panic and failed to respond.

ive read it happens to a lot of students so its definately normal, all be it still unpleasant.

Good luck with your repeat,:)
mike

You know, after having a day to reflect upon it, I look at it now as well needed experience - as I'm sure you do - I learned, and I guess that makes it worth it (and of course I still had fun). - Thanks to all for your useful input!. Cheers, Dale.