Vallerina

Following up an interview

I don't really know the right thing to do when it comes to trying to get a job in corporate America, so it never hurts to ask you guys! Basically, I had an interview last Friday, and I sent a thank you email on Monday. Usually, I hear right back from the person saying, "It was great to meet you to, blah blah blah." I haven't heard back from her.

Where do I go from here? Is it too soon to email again?
There's a thin line between Saturday night and Sunday morning

Did you discuss what next steps were? Usually that's the last question I ask in an interview. I would say it's not too soon to call or e-mail again, especially if you just want to check on the next steps. One thing I was taught is try to pin down your next point of contact each time you talk to someone. That way, when they don't call or e-mail you, you can get in touch and say "Hi, Jane, this is Valerie. We'd agreed we would talk on Wednesday - just thought I'd check in."
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke

You could try calling someone in the department, a receptionist or assistant and inquire as to the status of the position...i.e. has a hiring decision been made yet.

You might send a second letter/e-mail re-iterating your interest in the position and that you look forward to hearing what the next steps would be. Include in that note a statement to suggest "I can provide additional information such as references or samples of work to assist you in making a good hiring decision".

Good luck!

Did you discuss what next steps were?

Yeah, it basically sounded like she was looking at a few people and wanting to hire someone quickly. She is basically the only person who is deciding which candidate to hire. I interviewed with her on the phone, and on the phone she said she'd like to bring me in.

You could try calling someone in the department, a receptionist or assistant and inquire as to the status of the position...i.e. has a hiring decision been made yet.

I'm a bit weary about doing that because I have a feeling that they will tell me if I was not the one they picked. I don't see them not telling me when they've made their decision.

You might send a second letter/e-mail re-iterating your interest in the position and that you look forward to hearing what the next steps would be. Include in that note a statement to suggest "I can provide additional information such as references or samples of work to assist you in making a good hiring decision".

That sounds like a good idea!

Why does interviewing feel like game-playing? :D

All depends on the job vacancy, if they advertised it or if you just sent your CV and covering letter on the off chance. If they advertised, I suspect they'll have a few more people to see first. Then they will need to make a decision, then they will call you back.

One job interview I went to, they rung me on the day to tell me I got it (not advertised) and the other one I had recently was a larger company and left it two weeks before they rung me back to tell me I got it (advertised).

Its always I good sign if the interview goes on longer than planned and/or they say "we will be in-touch, see you soon", at the end.

Even if you don't get it just keep banging out the CV's.
I went through the phone book and sent one off to anyone that looked even slightly involved in Music. Then you just keep a record of who you sent them to.

I think it's 50 CV's sent for one reply roughly. 50:1 just for a reply regardless of whether it's an interveiw or rejection.

I wouldn't worry either way. Stressing doesn't help anything. I'm sure you worrying for nothing. They'll probably ring any minute you'll see.

Good luck!

i'd say dont do anything and just sit on your hands.most of the time i never get an email back.. but usually a call in 1.5-2 weeks. 'quickly' could really mean next week or 3-5 weeks down the line! Depending on my week i dont really see or process emails until a week later.

Where is my fizzy-lifting drink?

Someone from their hr department contacted me about the position, so I don't know how widely advertised it is. I know that one of the other people I interviewed with (who also seemed to REALLY like me and even slipped and said, "She'll let you know when you start...errr...if/when." :D) said that she had interviewed several candidates.

So, I guess I'll email her again...

i'd say dont do anything and just sit on your hands.most of the time i never get an email back..

I think that's why I'm getting a little nervous. I've always heard back from them within 24 hrs of sending them an email..... Maybe she didn't get it?

I've always heard back from them within 24 hrs of sending them an email..... Maybe she didn't get it?

then you are unique. I'd rarely hear back from people within a few days... especially from corporate jobs.

Where is my fizzy-lifting drink?

I've always heard back from them within 24 hrs of sending them an email..... Maybe she didn't get it?

then you are unique. I'd rarely hear back from people within a few days... especially from corporate jobs.

I'm not unique for my industry. I don't mean hear back about the job position...I mean hear back at all. It's weird that she hasn't replied.

I would call. Folks appreciate the forwardness. That's how I got my next job lined up. It shows that you're motivated and a self-starter.

I thought the thank you e-mail was good but it's been a week so a phone call is definitely appropriate! Go for it!!!:)

Katie
Get your PMS glass necklace here

For everyone's else's benefit:

Tell her you know she's busy but you thought you'd give her a ring to touch base. Let her know you have a few other options but this one is your top choice.

Peopl have a hard time saying no personally or via phone. It's much easier on an e-mail.;)

Katie
Get your PMS glass necklace here

Personally when I interview people I normally say that I'll be back in touch within 3 or 4 days. That gives me time to contact the successful candidate and the back up if the first one turns me down, and then have time to write to the unsuccessful people turning them down. That way no one gets too annoyed/disappointed if they don't hear from me within 24 hours. I would howver get pretty annoyed if someone started chasing me to find out what my decision was unless I had invited the correspondence.