skron

Advice on good intermediate canopy

Big Air Sportz Lotus
or
Big Air Sportz Samurai if you want an elliptical canopy

They will not collapse like a Stiletto in moderate turbulence B| (seen it happen quite a few times)
“The sum of intelligence on the planet is a constant; the population is growing.” - George Bernard Shaw
He who dies with the most toys, wins.....
dudeist skydiver # 19515
Buy quality and cry once!

You're advocating a samurai for someone with 300 jumps? Also you shouldn't be jumping in turbulence that will collapse canopies anyway, and airlocks are a pain in the $%^after a cutaway and after landing in high winds, so they're not all that great, trust me i jump a vengeance. Also since the OP wants a small rig, why advertise a canopy that packs a size bigger :S

ciel bleu,
Saskia

You're advocating a samurai for someone with 300 jumps? Also you shouldn't be jumping in turbulence that will collapse canopies anyway, and airlocks are a pain in the $%^after a cutaway

The cutaway is a crapshoot. Lots of time they land on the dropzone.

and after landing in high winds, so they're not all that great,

They're fine landing in high winds. You just need to read Brian's instruction manual which tells you how to deal with it (basically diving the canopy into the ground so it lands on its topskin and just floats there).

trust me i jump a vengeance.

I jump a Samurai.

Also since the OP wants a small rig, why advertise a canopy that packs a size bigger :S

It's not a full size; about 5% more which is within normal manufacturing variances for canopies. Seems less than the difference between a Spectre and Sabre. Brian used to use 0-3 CFM on the ribs which helps get the air out when packing, you'd have to check and see if that's still the case.

Thank you all for all the advice and info.

I think after considering it all I will demo a Nitro, Safire and maybe one or 2 others in about the same size as my current canopy. Then when I'm ready to downsize I will know which one I like the best.

Thanks again
Blue Skies
Well behaved women don't often make history.

Thank you all for all the advice and info.

I think after considering it all I will demo a Nitro, Safire and maybe one or 2 others in about the same size as my current canopy. Then when I'm ready to downsize I will know which one I like the best.

Thanks again
Blue Skies

Good call. Just be ready for the fun ride.:)
50 donations so far. Give it a try.

You know you want to spank it
Jump an Infinity

No I'm not really advocating a Samurai for someone with 300 jumps. I just missed to put the ";)" after that sentence, my bad [:/]

However regarding the turbulence.
I jump at a DZ where we always have a certain amount of turbulence since we have a lot of forest surrounding the DZ and also a couple of peat bogs that creates a lot of thermals. So for us turbulent are a common thing, and that's why I recommend an air locked canopy. I get scared shitless when someone’s canopy collapses.:S

When it comes to a cut away (hasn’t had one YET) I don't think that I give a shit (initially) what happens to my main as long as I get back on the ground in one piece after a malfunction.

Landing the canopy in higher winds and dealing with it inflated after that is a small price I'm willing to pay for it's flight characteristics.

“The sum of intelligence on the planet is a constant; the population is growing.” - George Bernard Shaw
He who dies with the most toys, wins.....
dudeist skydiver # 19515
Buy quality and cry once!