tsalnukt

reserve closing loop fingertraps

I think Tsalnuckt means a different material for the pull cord, not the closing loop itself. But while Cypres made it mandatory to use their loop braid, Vigil at least until recently mentioned that their cutter will cut virtually all kind of synthetic braid able to go thru the cutter hole. Vigil cutter has a circular blade, it cut the loop at both ends of the hole and melt the middle of the loop indide of the hole.
Learn from others mistakes, you will never live long enough to make them all.

I have seen the use of a pull cord using another piece of braid (same kind) fingertraped in the middle. Being lazy, using 2 pull cords side by side is easier for me and offers the advantage at the end since you can remove them one at a time saving a bit more the closing loop.

I think Tsalnuckt means a different material for the pull cord, not the closing loop itself.

Cypres specifies that you use only their pull cords, Cypres user’s guide page 36. If an AAD is used in a rig it must be maintained according to manufactures instructions. Jmo

Sparky
My idea of a fair fight is clubbing baby seals

You are right. I never noticed it. Don't you think Cypres is pushing a bit too much by making mandatory the use of the pull cord made of their braid? In a way, that makes sense to use the same material but using a 550 sheating will even damage less the closing loop since it is made of nylon which is a softer material than spectra and provide a larger surface area decreasing the possibilityy of loop damage. A pull cord of 550 sheating is able to go thru the cutter hole.
I am not surprised of Airtec doing so since at the 2007 Reno Symposium rigger's forum SSK (Airtec Cypres USA) representative said it was a question of safety to install a Cypres unit into a Cypres pocket. We know that most of the manufacturers install other AAD brands into a Cypres pocket since it is made of Spandex and that this practice has never resulted in any problem. At that forum as an answer to that statement, a well known harness/container manufacturer said that he was testing half a dozen of reserves for his rig and was assuming that other reserves that fit the container and do not interfer with the rig function were OK as well. There is a limit to impose blindly some way to operate when common sense show that it is not necessary. In rigging 3 major things have to be considered, Function, structure integrity and compatibility.

Hi Andre,

I am not surprised of Airtec doing so since at the 2007 Reno Symposium rigger's forum SSK (Airtec Cypres USA) representative said it was a question of safety to install a Cypres unit into a Cypres pocket.

They also said that a rigger could NOT install a CYPRES into another mfr's pocket.

At which Bill Booth stood up and said that Sunpath ( Javelin ) and he were going to start making their own AAD pockets and if AirTec wanted to lose their business that would be their ( AirTec's ) choice.

Kudos to Bill for his statement and where he stands on this type of silliness,

JerryBaumchen

You are right. I never noticed it. Don't you think Cypres is pushing a bit too much by making mandatory the use of the pull cord made of their braid?

It depends whether you have to pull the pull-up cord through the Cypres cutter. If the cutter is above the pilot chute, it is difficult to slip anything more than Cypres cord through the cutter.
when packing Javelins, Dolphins, etc. with the cutter below the pilot chute, I tend to use the next larger diameter of pull-up cord (e.g. 500 pound Spectra/Microline) because it spreads the loop slightly wider, making it easier to insert the pin and decreasing wear on a new closing loop.

But - to dumb it down - when in doubt, use the same material for closing loops and pull-up cords.

I know Jerry, when I said << a well known harness/container manufacturer...>>, it was Bill. I understand you were at the same seminar than I. I was sitting just beside Shlomo. But you don't know the best: Just few hours after, one of my European contact told me that when the Cypres 2 came up on the market, the BPA banned the installation of the Cypres 2 into a Cypres 1 pocket. It was making sense since both Cypres 1 and Cypres 2 are different in shape and dimensions. Right away, Airtec issued a waiver authorizing that installation for UK only. Therefore at Reno the SSK representative was contradicting the Airtec decision in that matter.