heidihagen

does anyone have sugar gliders?

how old are they? i have 2. the first one i got in jan '97, the second a year later. the older one is starting to act old. like when i feed them, she just hangs out in the hammock and looks at the food dish accross the cage. it's good food too, so it's not like she's being picky. the the one is fine, but he's a year younger.
my vet doesn't knows very little about them. i've only had to bring them in 3 or 4 times-- he specialized in exotics, but they're the only gliders he has ever treated. same goes for other vets in the area last time i checked (last april).

so, i'm wondering if she has arthritis. what do arthritic pets act like?
i didn't lose my mind, i sold it on ebay. .:need a container to fit 5'4", 110 lb. cypres ready & able to fit a 170 main (or slightly smaller):.[/ce

What the hell is a sugar glider

Google is a wonderful thing.

Although sugar gliders (Petaurus breviceps) are native to Australia, they have not been exported from there for many years. The ones we have in the U.S. are descendents of gliders that were imported from other places, mostly Indonesia.

Like many animals from that part of the world, they are marsupials, similar in size to our American flying squirrel (but much cuter). Their name comes from their affinity for sweet things like the sweet sap that leaks from wounds in trees. At the moment they are considered an "exotic" in the U.S., and a federal license is required to sell them. Unfortunately, it is illegal to even own them in some states, notably California. Before purchasing a glider, it would be a good idea to check with the USDA's Animal Care Sector Office for your state and make sure of the laws in your area.
I don't care how many skydives you've got,
until you stepped into complete darkness at
800' wearing 95 lbs of equipment and 42 lbs
of parachute, son you are still a leg!

I don't have a SG but I do have a dog with arthritis and old age. It's not uncommon for her to go a whole day without eating, I only worry if she has gone more than that and offer her treats to get her in the mood to eat. As for the arthritis part, she just moves slower and sometimes favors a leg when walking but for her the arthritis is in her hips and front paws..

What to look for is it favoring part of it's body and or licking that area, they will let you know when something isn't right.
Fly it like you stole it!

Here's a link to some pics of my son's sugar glider. He bought it this summer.

http://missionsjournal.blogspot.com/2005/06/buzz-lightyear-to-rescue.html

The guy he bought it from knew a lot about them and he said that his dad knew quite a bit more. My son's email address is in his profile on his blog. Send him an email and ask him for the guy's contact info. If I remember correctly there is a vet in the North Texas area that they recommend.

I've done a fair bit of research, in preperation of a purchase, and I'd suggest you look at the diet, it sounds like a deficiency of some sort. I know you said you feed a good food, but I'd take a read over http://www.skinhorse.net/gliders/diet.html, and pay attention to the calcium part.

If I ventured in the slipstream; Between the via-ducts of your dreams.......could you find me?

thanks. that's what i was looking for. i know cats & dogs move around less because of arthritis -- so, this would be similar, i think. but i'm just guessing.. i know what it isn't. she's eating & moving more, so maybe she was just being lazy... i hope!:$

schroeder,
i know the health issues you're talking about.. neither have had eye issues or paralysis probs. they're both on a low fat diet. i follow the same regime the san diego zoo uses (ledbeaters recipe) + my fruit leftovers. it makes feeding easy & they like it.
i didn't lose my mind, i sold it on ebay. .:need a container to fit 5'4", 110 lb. cypres ready & able to fit a 170 main (or slightly smaller):.[/ce

Do they make good pets?

I dont think they do, but thats mostly because

A. they are an exotic animal , and exotic animals are harder to care for then domesticated ones.

B. Harder to find a vet that can take care of them in an emergancy.

C. They also spray, and it is worse then any cat smell you can imagine.

D. They are nocturnal and make quite a bit of noise.

E. They do not like to be alone, so you shouldnt have just one. We have 6 in our ed dept. However we do not handle them often because they can get away very easy. On the other hand they are so flippen cute.

Do they bit often?

If its got teeth it can bite. It is all a matter of how they are raised and how far removed from the wild they are. From what I understand even if they bite it doesnt hurt much.

Are they destructive?

The ones I am exposed to are not, however they stink, and the cages are cleaned every day and they still stink. The whole room they are in stinks. The pouch is also washed daily and they still stink. These animals stink. Just incase I havent told you yet , they are smelly and stink, they get lonely so you have to have more then one and one stinks , two stink more, and 6 stink like no tomorrow.

I know they are illigal in GA to own, at least last time I checked. I had wanted a few, even though they stink.

At the zoo ours are fed a combination of fresh veggies to include carrots, lettuce and other greens, hard boiled eggs (they love the eggs) monkey chow and supplements stashed in the mix. They dont eat much but the food is weighed before and after, and they do go through phases of not eating much. The zookeepers say it isnt much to worry about unless it is excessive. These animals are wild, and in the wild they do not eat everyday. That continues when caged. You know them best Heidi so if your worried because of extended time between eating, take her to the vet.
Sudsy Fist: i don't think i'd ever say this
Sudsy Fist: but you're looking damn sudsydoable in this