alanab

best way to remove fingerprints from photos?

my 8x10 shots from bridge day got passed around a bit too much saturday night and there are a ton of finger prints on all my photos. how can i remove them without ruining the pictures? i tried using soft tissues and rubbing, but the marks are still there!
any ideas?

Or got to one of those photo machines they have at Wal Mart and Target that has a scanner. Scan the picture you have, and make yourself a new one.
May your trails be crooked, winding, lonesome, dangerous, leading to the most amazing view. May your mountains rise into and above the clouds. - Edward Abbey

Or got to one of those photo machines they have at Wal Mart and Target that has a scanner. Scan the picture you have, and make yourself a new one.

If it's not copyrighted.:|

Guess I'm lucky, I haven't been stopped when ever I do it.
May your trails be crooked, winding, lonesome, dangerous, leading to the most amazing view. May your mountains rise into and above the clouds. - Edward Abbey

Go to a photo shop and buy PEC-12 emulsion cleaner. This stuff is used by pros to clean non-water stains from prints and negatives. It will even remove ink w/o damage

Careful there. We don't know what kind of photo it is.

Some digital prints - especially prints from HP inkjets - use water soluable inks. PEC-12 solution will definately screw up the image.

Other prints - like those from high end Photo printers used by retail outlets, and some Epson inkjets wil be fine.

To answer the original question - a thick white sock or absorbant cotton fabric will absorb many oils. Rubbing gently with such a fabric will probably remove a lot of the oils.

Unless you know how the photo was printed, don't use any liquids.

_Am
__

You put the fun in "funnel" - craichead.

The reason you wore white cloves was to prevent getting prints on the pictures. The oil from our hands is acidic so when we touch pictures the acidic oil is transferred to the picture eating away a small amount of the emulsion. Essentially, a finger print is an acid stain and can't be removed.
Keith

Don't Fuck with me Keith - J. Mandeville

It's pictures that I was given by the photographers. When I ask if I can make copies they say it's okay.

No one can say "no" to me;)

If the owner of a copyright picture finds out where you've made copies of that pic, you can be fined as well as the place you scanned them.

Yeah..............just like all those scum that try to download free music! Bastards! :D

That is true.

I worked in management in a chain store for a photo lab. It was my job during college. The district manager would pretty much threaten our lives if he found out we allowed copyright material on our scanners. One of our stores was nailed hard by someone that came in and scanned copyright material.

I'm not preaching. I'm just saying be careful.

It's pictures that I was given by the photographers. When I ask if I can make copies they say it's okay.

No one can say "no" to me;)

Cool... still have to have a written release.:P

I'm not going to go round and round with this. I have done it, and haven't had a problem. I won't say where I've done it;)

Guess I'm just lucky:)

Edit to add, if it doesnt say it is copyrighted on it, it is free to copy. If not, use a scanner and print yourself a copy at home

Not true. Copyright on photos is automatically assumed. Copying photos without permission is theft.
Keith

Don't Fuck with me Keith - J. Mandeville