steven1981

weight loss

hey guys and girls

as some of you know i'm trying lose a bit of weight anyway i was wanting ideas on what i should do i'm already on a all chicken diet and i'm walking on the weekends anyway ideas would be great
The blue sky is pretty but the blue sky with fast air is better

gotty love wind tunnels

Here's how I lost 40 lb, 5 lb per month for 8 months, and have kept if off for over 2 years:
1. Exercise (bike, walk, whatever), at least 2-3 times a week for 30 minutes, to start. Start slow and build up to longer, harder, more frequent workouts. Get in an extra one when you can. Also, work on building muscle with weights, that helps metabolism.
2. Cut out sweets/fats almost entirely for 2-3 months, and reduce portion sizes of everything else. Once you're on the right track, you can add in an occasional treat. When you start eating less regularly, you will find that you don't NEED to eat so much to feel good.
3. Understand that this is a new way of life, not a diet. Learn to actually enjoy NOT eating that candy bar or whatever indulgence you crave. Learn to enjoy your new smaller body. Go buy some new clothes to show it off.
4. Stay away from "fad" diets, or diets that don't allow you to eat certain foods. It's all about balance. It's not what you eat, but how much, that matters.
5. Weigh yourself regularly so you can monitor your progress. What I did was, everytime I lost 5 lb, my new goal would be the next 5 lb. Don't overwhelm yourself by focusing on your total weight loss goal, take it one step at a time. This worked for me, hope it helps!

What I did was, everytime I lost 5 lb, my new goal would be the next 5 lb.

My weight varies by 10 lbs on any given day, usually at its lowest after 14 hours of sleep (I need that once week so I can run 4 hours of sleep on weekdays). How do you set the mark? Subtract 5 lbs from the lowest weight during a day?

i eat only once a day

Very bad! That will make your metabolism CRAWL. Now..........I can't eat 5 or 6 times per day like a lot of people advocate. But eating at least 3-4 really small meals has worked for me. I ate once a day for about a year. I didn't really do it on purpose. I was in Korea and I would wake up late. The club opened at 1130 so I would go over there for "brunch." then have beer for dinner. No...........I'm NOT advocating this as a good diet. :D I had just stopped lifting "heavy" weights after 2 years and was in a strange transition. I lost a lot of weight. About 15 Lbs in the first 2 weeks. No doubt some of that was muscle. I felt great though. It worked for about a year until I just all of a sudden started to gain weight again. I guess my body took that long to adjust. You may be able to starve your body for a while and lose some weight but that won't last. Eat LESS more often. You just have to figure out what works for you.

Chicken can actually be more fattening than a lean steak, depending on preparation.

Talk to your doctor and ask him/her to refer you to a dietician/nutritionist. You need to learn how to eat right, and store labels can be really decieving.

Next, find an athletic activity you enjoy. Local Ys generally have adult athletic teams, if you like baseball, football, basketball, or soccer. Or, try taking karate lessons. That way, you get in shape and learn how to defend yourself at the same time. Or, find a female friend or girlfriend and take swing dancing lessons. Just find an activity where you have to be at a certain place, certain time, certain day. That way, you work your schedule around your exercise, rather than trying to squeeze exercise into an already busy schedule. A group activity makes you accountable to other people, which is more motivation than doing it on your own, because people will know if you don't go.

Ultimately, the only secret to losing weight is "eat less, exercise more."

Personally, if I get the exercise, the eating just falls into place, because I end up craving fruit and healthy food rather than junk, because I'm active and my body knows that junk food won't provide the proper fuel, so sweets don't even look appetizing.

Take the opportunity to try new foods. Sushi is very nutritious and low fat. Indian food is another interesting type of food to explore. Variety helps you stay healthy. If you eat the same thing every day, you'll miss out on nutrients that are in other foods.

Oh...go somewhere like GNC and get a really good multi-vitamin. I've had good luck with their "untra-mega" line. Just pick one that looks as complete as possible and includes minerals too. If you start getting enough vitamins and minerals, you'll start to feel better and have more energy. When you have more energy, you're more likely to exercise, and when you exercise, you burn calories and start wanting to eat healthy.

Or, you could just do what I did and go to law school. I've gone from a size 14 to a size 6 without even trying. I'm just too busy to snack and I have to walk all over campus. :P

The biggest thing for me is water -- gallons of it.

I find that if I keep myself constantly hydrated ( urine should be almost perfectly clear ) all day, I eat a lot less, but several times daily -- just what you need to get by.

This also helps when you sit down to eat, because you are bloated, you eat less ( you already feel full, which is when most people stop eating -- feeling full means you ate too much by nutrionist standards )

Best of Luck to you.
-
-
"Baseball is 90% mental. The other half is physical."

Well, if you are interested in dance classes like swing or ballroom, you could call a school in your area and tell them you're interested but don't have a partner. Chances are, they get a TON of girls calling saying the same thing, because lots more girls are interested in dance than guys are, so there is always a shortage of guys.

oh... Grilled chicken is probably good for you, provided you don't use a fattening or calorie rich maranade. However, a healthy diet has variety, so explore other foods too. Lean steak, fish, sushi, alligator :P

Here is how I lost 30... It was 40, but I have hovered at 30 for a year now...

Find that thing you crave that causes all the shit to hit the fan.

I found I craved (diet) Coke so bad, I would end up at Mcdonalds eating all that crap, just because I love Coke and Ketchup.

I gave up Coke cold turkey, and am going on 2 years. Can't even touch soft drinks anymore... Too sweet. Now I find healthier lunches because I am no longer getting Coke.

But, now Mcdonalds offers bottled water with their burgers, so I find myself eating fast food once a week or so, the reason I gained 10 back from the 40 I lost total...

Oh well, a new thing to work on. :P

THe main goal is to obviously burn more calories than you consume...

Do things you would consider "exercise" everyday- take the stairs instead of the elevator, do some crunches while sitting in front of the TV, take the oppourtunity to "move" whenever you can...

Try not to snack and overindulge- DONT grab that handful of M&M's or chips as you pass the kitchen, well actually try not to even have them around.

Purchase some healthy alterntives, such as carrots and celery- cut them up and leave them in the fridge to snack on.

Carry water around and try to consume at least 8 glasses per day.

Avoid empty calories and non-fiber carbohydrates.

There are some suggestions, good luck!
Blue skies and SAFE landings!
~Amanda~

This irresponsible diet worked for me. It's probably incredibly unhealthy and I have no expertise in the field of nutrition, diet, or medicine. Actually, probably no expertise in anything now that I think about it. I did this for 5 weeks and lost 25 lbs. I've kept it off, but only due to increased physical output and a more responsible diet...
Sugar crisp & fat free soy milk at 0500
Weight training 0530-0700
soy based protein shake after gym
garden salad & diet pepsi 1130
cardio 1700-1730
tofu & rice noodles 1730
No snacking.

Is it abnormal to pass out when you bend over to tie up your shoes? :S

It worked for ME. But like I said, probably very unhealthy.

I should add that it was fat that I peeled off. I retained what little muscle mass I had.

Simple.

Go to a nutritionist, who will put you on a diet to match your height/weight. You don't want to eat once a day, you want to eat at least five times a day, if not more.

See a nutritionist. Seriously. Helped me.

yall guys skydivie i don't so yall get workouts

You've already said that you walk on the weekends, you just need to make a point of walking every day and probably add some weight training to that. Just get off the computer during the week and go for a brisk walk instead.
She is Da Man, and you better not mess with Da Man,
because she will lay some keepdown on you faster than, well, really fast. ~Billvon

I'm no expert ... but lost 1.5 stone following Atkins...O.K O.K so its a fab diet but it worked for me.... I then watch a doumentary (UK: Horizon)about it and their bottom line was the same as people have been saying for years and years...... EAT LESS CALORIES.

Now, Atkins says dont count calories, but the documentary showed that by eating less Carbs and more Protien, your body does in real terms modify it's input to reduce calorific intake.....

So, Shove Less Energy into your body... expend more Energy via exercise = Lower Body Mass...... simple.. till you try and cut our Beer and chocolate.
>:(

Good luck,

(.)Y(.)
Chivalry is not dead; it only sleeps for want of work to do. - Jerome K Jerome

But eating at least 3-4 really small meals has worked for me.

Wheres my boyfriend and why are you posting with his name? The Clay I know, not only can eat his own food but the stuff I scrape onto his plate from mine....
Sudsy Fist: i don't think i'd ever say this
Sudsy Fist: but you're looking damn sudsydoable in this

I work about 10 miles from where I live, so when I took my truck down for lets say an onging prodject I had to ride my bike back and forth to work. It takes me about 40 minutes to ride, and so far I have saved hundreds of dollars in gas. Also my state of mind on my way to work is much better. Instead of me complaining of those slow moving drivers I just curse at the headwind that I always seem to have and keep pedeling my ass there. Also I don't get stuck beind school busses... the only drawback is now I have to wake up extra early, but hey you win some you lose some... I am also hungery like a wolf at about 1000
Divot your source for all things Hillbilly.
Anvil Brother 84
SCR 14192