SuperKat

proof read help: I need your opinion on this letter

to my landlord. I don't want to seem hostile. I'm not fighting the rent increase. The main reason I'm writing this letter is to request to have repairs made on the home and to notify him that I will no longer maintain the upkeep on the home (repairing, mowing the lawn, shoveling snow from pavement, etc.). I want to keep it professional and peaceful. Please let me know if this is what my letter conveys.

The letter:

Here’s a recap of the repairs that are needed to make our living conditions up to par:

1. The roof is leaking on the 2nd floor apartment from the hallway roof and bedroom roof down to the hallway floor and bedroom floor down to the living room ceiling. It looks like it can sustain some serious damage to your house if this is not addressed. It’s also an inconvenience to have to clean up during these leaks.

2. There is a shorted circuit with the hallway light on the 2nd floor. Water was dripping from the light fixture. The leak from the roof may have triggered the short. There were sparks coming out of the wires when I removed the fixture. I almost got shocked.

3. There is also a bad fixture in the kitchen down in the basement apt. There was a small fire from the light fixture. Luckily I had a fire extinguisher to put it out. Fortunately, this did not happen while no one was at home; otherwise, a fire could have ensued for sure.

4. The cabinets on the upper floor unit need attention. They’re falling apart and the drawers are difficult to open and some drawers are missing handles. You have to lift up the counter to open some drawers. The corners of the cabinets have been chewed off.

5. There is a leak originating from the bathroom tiles down to the kitchen ceiling. The leak is causing mold build up in the walls and in the cabinets. There are 3 tile pieces that had fallen off. These tiles need to be re-grouted and reassembled. This may or may not fix the leaking problem.

6. The garage door and garage ceiling have serious termite damage and needs to be replaced.

7. The garage contains a large amount of personal belongings that were never discarded by Iman and Cynthia. It’s really an inconvenience because we cannot utilize the garage because there is no room for our cars in there. They appear to be items that the sanitation department might not be able to pick up or there may be fines issued if we leave them out to be picked up and what not.

8. I had mentioned it to Iman two years ago that the new motor installed to the boiler was leaking oil a few days after you had it installed. He never brought it to your attention and now I believe the motor is defective. I attempted to fill this motor with oil. There was a leak coming from the motor and it was not retaining the oil. I tried using RTV silicone to seal up the leak from the motor but it was then leaking from another part of the motor.

9. We have not had heat in the basement apartment since two years ago. We’ve been using a portable heater and it’s getting too costly with our electricity bill. This needs your immediate attention.

10. We feel that this rent increase is not fair to us because we maintain the upkeep of your property. When we complained about issues, we made repairs to those items that needed repair as you had advised us to. Therefore, we can no longer mow the grass or shovel and clear the pavement when it snows.

We have been living under these conditions for two years now and we feel that this needs your attention asap. As we had waited very patiently for these concerns addressed.

Please let me know how we should approach these issues.

Please get back to me at your earliest convenience.

Thanks for hearing our concerns and I hope you can address them as soon as possible.

What's the most you ever lost in a coin toss, Friendo?

As long as you're not interested in leaving you don't have much bargaining power. One thing you could do would be to look at the rental property guidelines and show how each of these items violates them.

Then say that you like the location (it's OK to say that) and would like to work with him. You might find out who will cart away the stuff in the garage and provide the name to the landlord (you don't want to cart it away yourself probably in case the previous tenant is a suit-loving jerk).

It doesn't look hostile. It really doesn't look firm enough as far as I'm concerned (and I'm pretty much a softy). Maybe put down when each of the problems started or was first reported.

Good luck -- sounds like it's really cheap.

Wendy W.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

Thanks but does it sound hostile? I need to stay there because the rent is pretty cheap already.

No, not hostile at all. You made your points rather succinctly. Is this a rental house?
"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

I forgot to mention, as for #7, can the items in question be burned? I have a certain spot set aside for small bonfires on my property. Great for getting rid of stuff that wouldn't go in the garbage container... Mostly wood stuff though...
"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

It doesn't look hostile. It really doesn't look firm enough as far as I'm concerned (and I'm pretty much a softy).

Good. I just want to get my point across and not do anymore work for him, since he's increasing my rent.

This is a rental home. It's not an apartment. From what I heard in NYC, there are very few laws protecting tenants that rent homes. Apartments have better tenant protection.

What's the most you ever lost in a coin toss, Friendo?

I graduate from law school on December 2nd. I will be taking the Bar exam in the states of Pennsylvania (my home state) and New Jersey in February. I can not give you legal advice until I pass the Bar exam. I can not give you legal advice after I pass the Bar exam unless you live in PA or NJ because each state has their own laws. However, I would be allowed to discuss general legal principles.

There are a lot of legal issues in your situation and I strongly suggest you speak with a lawyer in your state. If you can not afford an attorney you should contact your local Bar association and ask them about free legal aid. Another option is to contact a local law school and to ask them about free legal assistance programs in your area.

You should talk to a lawyer BEFORE you send the letter. You will be a lot happier knowing your rights. You do not have to tell your landlord you are talking to a lawyer. However, when you do communicate with your landlord at least you will know your rights as a tenant.

Thanks and good luck

the overall tone does not sound pissy. however, to make your point more effectively, you might start off with your statement regarding the increase, THEN list the repairs / reasons. It comes off stronger and more organized. If you wait until the end, the landlord may not even read that far.

(You may want to check your lease regarding lawn maintenance and snow removal.... you may have no bargaining room there.)

example:

We feel that this rent increase is not fair to us because we maintain your property. We made repairs to those items that needed repair as you had advised us to. As property maintenance is not in our lease, we will no longer mow the grass or shovel and clear the pavement when it snows. Handymen or repair technicians will be required for any future repairs.

We have been living under the following conditions for two years and these needs your attention ASAP:

(EDIT - the location of the leak seems confusing to me, but I've never seen your building)

1. The roof is leaking on the 2nd floor apartment from the hallway roof and bedroom roof down to the hallway floor and bedroom floor down to the living room ceiling. It looks like it can sustain some serious damage to your house if this is not addressed. It’s also an inconvenience to have to clean up during these leaks.

2. There is a shorted circuit with the hallway light on the 2nd floor. Water was dripping from the light fixture. The leak from the roof may have triggered the short. There were sparks coming out of the wires when I removed the fixture. I almost got shocked.

3. There is also a bad fixture in the kitchen down in the basement apt. There was a small fire from the light fixture. Luckily I had a fire extinguisher to put it out. Fortunately, this did not happen while no one was at home; otherwise, a fire could have ensued for sure.

4. The cabinets on the upper floor unit need attention. They’re falling apart and the drawers are difficult to open and some drawers are missing handles. You have to lift up the counter to open some drawers. The corners of the cabinets have been chewed off.

5. There is a leak originating from the bathroom tiles down to the kitchen ceiling. The leak is causing mold build up in the walls and in the cabinets. There are 3 tile pieces that had fallen off. These tiles need to be re-grouted and reassembled. This may or may not fix the leaking problem.

6. The garage door and garage ceiling have serious termite damage and needs to be replaced.

7. The garage contains a large amount of personal belongings that were never discarded by Iman and Cynthia. It’s really an inconvenience because we cannot utilize the garage because there is no room for our cars in there. They appear to be items that the sanitation department might not be able to pick up or there may be fines issued if we leave them out to be picked up and what not.

8. I had mentioned it to Iman two years ago that the new motor installed to the boiler was leaking oil a few days after you had it installed. He never brought it to your attention and now I believe the motor is defective. I attempted to fill this motor with oil. There was a leak coming from the motor and it was not retaining the oil. I tried using RTV silicone to seal up the leak from the motor but it was then leaking from another part of the motor.

9. We have not had heat in the basement apartment for two years two years. It’s getting too costly to continue heating this space with a portable electric heater. It is the landlord's responsibility to maintain a minimum temperature of 68 degrees. This needs your immediate attention.

(EDIT: You need a strong finish here)
The list above is a serious detriment to the health and safety of your tenants. Code violations may force us to get county inspectors to ensure our safety until our lease expires.

ypu may also want to toss in a statement or two regarding your williness to resign the lease.

Here’s a recap of the repairs that are needed to make our living conditions up to par:

1. CASCADING WATERFALL - A magnificent stream of water usually runs from 2nd floor apartment. At its current rate, it shall create a hole the size of the Grand Canyon in about half the time. I am not much an outdoors person, so I would like to postpone this Canyon Construction during my stay here .

2. ELECTRO-STIMULATION DEVICE - We appreciate the water-driven defibrillating light fixture, however it's location above the floor makes it unusable during a heart attack. We would prefer to have this feature disabled from the electrical system.

3. PYROTECHNICAL SHOWS - A light fixture near the basement also doubles as a pyrotechnic device, producing small fires at will. We were fortunate enough to witness the last show, however, if it continues the show at random times, the fire department may be the next audience.

4. ANTIQUE CABINETRY - We appreciate the historical value of the cabinetry. As we understand, it is made from remnants from the Mayflower. We have made arrangements to have these important historical pieces to the Smithsonian as soon as you provide a replacement unit.

5. TROPICAL FORESTATION - Yet another of the beautiful indoor cascades is triggering the development of Rain Forest atmosphere, complet with mold and vegetation. We would appreciate if your gardner could come by and retrieve all the growing vegetation.

6. OPTIONAL VENTILATION SYSTEMS - The garage door and garage ceiling have become the McDonald's of sorts to certain members of the Isoptera family. The additional ventilation is welcome during the summer, but it's causing distress to the ANTIQUE CABINETRY (See 4) and the TROPICAL FORESTATION program.

7. SMITHSONIAN MUSEUM OVERFLOW - The garage has accumulated a significant number of historical artifacts of relevance to others than me. Could we arrange to have these items shipped to their final resting place along with the ANTIQUE CABINETRY previously mentioned?.

8. JIFFY LUBE DUTIES - I have been performing preventive maintenance on the heater's motor my replacing its oil as needed. However, it seems like the motor is sick as it keeps throwing up the oil. Could you please schedule a motorologist appointment as soon as possible?

9. THERMODYNAMICS LABORATORY - As you know, Hot Air Rises and Cold Air Sinks (al other things been equal). Our basement s living proof of this law, and we don't see why further experiments on this topic are required. The only heat in this space is from the PYROTECHNIC SHOW previously discussed. Our only recourse is to move the basement to the top floor, but that's another set of Laws of Physics we would have to violate to keep the building structure intact.

10. TRUMP TEST - We think that you are entitled to become a Zillionare like Mr. Trump. Given the extra amenities we have received and listed in this letter, we believe that you have not raised the rent high enough. We believe you should raise the rent to such levels that would allow you to hire an attorney, pay the necessary fines, pay for our attorney and still have money left for jury trial and sizeable settlement to us.

Please let me know how we should approach these issues. The Fire Chief, Environmental Protection Agency and Housing and Urban Development Agency have a few ideas, we would be more than glad to have our attorney put you in contact with them.

Again, thanks for all the amenities we have received. We look forward to doing unto you as you have done unto us.

~ Go confidently in the direction of your dreams. Live the life you have imagined.
Y yo, pa' vivir con miedo, prefiero morir sonriendo, con el recuerdo vivo".
- Ruben Blades, "Adan Garcia"

It sounds like he's been using you as a super in exchange for a break in your rent, and now he wants to increase the rent. Having HIS cake and eating it too. Why would he deal with all the various issues in the building when you've been doing it and/or putting up with it for two years?

I don't care what city you live in or whether its a house or apartment building- the mold, termite and electrical problems are all potentially serious building code violations. If reported, the owner could get hefty fines for any of them, and be legally required to make repairs. And the no heat thing HAS to be illegal. It could very well be that the basement apartment is illegal with or without heat.

I realize affordable housing in New York is hard to come by. Rest assured, your landlord knows it too. He can get in trouble for the violations, but you could end up homeless. I think you should speak to an attorney and figure out what your rights are, then go from there. Go ahead and send the letter, but I doubt the landlord will do anything about it.

You need a building inspector to file a complaint for you .

DON'T DO THIS!! Your rent will go thru the roof, and you may even be evicted.

After 10 years on city council, in the 'college ward' of Rock Island I can tell you this. Most states have some sort of rental group. In Illinois they are very active, and are great at lobbying for new laws to protect the renter, the property and the neighborhood. If a home in my ward was not up to code, I always recommended that a renter contact the code department of the city, and ask for any building codes that pertain to whatever the complaint is. You can get this information without giving your address, many times on line.
For instance. You do not currently have central heat. Many places require it.
If you do not have a storm door, it may be against code in your area.
If you have an electrical outlet that is shocking you, it may (OOPS IT IS!!) against code.
Your letter should clearly state which items are code enforcement issues. You should clearly state which code is in violation, you should let your landlord know that you have checked the rental statutes pertaining to the codes.
In my city, my advice was
let the landlord know that you know the code, and are requesting the repair of the violation. If he does not repair the violation within a reasonable period of time (and in some cases that is 48 hours) hire a contractor, get it repaired and subtract the cost of the repair from the next rent check(s). This is the statute here, and it works.
Many times people would call the inspection department, who would come out, find that the wiring, heating or foundation were 'life threatening" and the renter would be evicted immediately, until the item was brought up to code by the landlord. This would take it completely out of the hands of the renter and leave them homeless.
DON"T INVITE AN INSPECTOR IN, unless you plan to move. Then he can come in and shut down your landlord from renting to anyone else until the place is fixed.
skydiveTaylorville.org
[email protected]

OK, so what's the option? Live in a death-trap and have your heirs file a lawsuit?

Yikes!
B|

Well, she said she needed to stay there, the rent is cheap, but she DOESN't have to live in a death trap. That is my point. She has options, and the money that she pays to the landlord can go to him, or to a contractor (at least in Illinois) so she can let her landlord know that, and the ball is in his court.
I have been a landlord for many many years, and I can fix a running toilet for 89 cents. A plumber would charge 40 bucks. The average landlord is gonna say, "gee, maybe I should spend a day over at SuperKats house and save my self a bundle of money" She just isn't a priority with him at this point. She has to make herself a priority
skydiveTaylorville.org
[email protected]