Slappie

Let's drink and drive in FLA

IDEA: How much extra would you be willing to pay a cab that comes with an extra driver to bring your car home too?

I'd say close to double, assuming I'd have to pay for a cab to get back to my car the next morning when I've sobered up (of course, depending on where it is, I might have friends who can drive me back or public transportation as an option. But that takes time...)
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke

IDEA: How much extra would you be willing to pay a cab that comes with an extra driver to bring your car home too?

I'd say close to double, assuming I'd have to pay for a cab to get back to my car the next morning when I've sobered up (of course, depending on where it is, I might have friends who can drive me back or public transportation as an option. But that takes time...)

Exactly. Convenience is king, my friends. :)

you've got to ask yourself one question: 'Do I feel loquacious?' -- well do you, punk?

From Personal Experience:

1) In CT, refusing to take the breathylizer is a "statement of guilt" and carries a worse punishment than failing the breathylizer.
2) Field breathylizers are generally not admissible in court because of the different variables (temp, humidity, etc.). It does constitute as failing a field test, and they can arrest you and take you in for an official breathylizer.
3) My boss had his thrown out of court because the breathylizer hadn't been cleaned or tested in 2 years ( he also had the money to hire a lawyer for over hours of work ).
4) In CT, when you apply for a license, you are agreeing to submit to the breathylizer when told to do so. If you refuse, you aren't issued the drivers license.

In CT, for your first offense: both the court and the DMV can suspend your license. The court may or may not depending on your sentence. The DMV automatically does for either 120 or 90 days depending on BAC regardless ( you can appeal, rarely works ).

If you are granted, you take an alcohol education class and a victim impact panel and, provided you don't get another offense in a year, your DUI charge is dropped. If you refuse to take the breathylizer you are automatically charged with DUI and it does go on your record. You are, in CT, better off blowing a .211 then refusing.

As for not drinking and driving -- in a perfect world that would be great.

Now over a month sober, I hope to never do it aain, but when plastered, rational thinking doesn't prevail.

My sincerest apologies for the wrongs I have committed and am glad that I got a DUI and didn't hurt or kill someone.
-
-
"Baseball is 90% mental. The other half is physical."

I was also not looking for a discussion on drinking an driving. It was more about the laws and how Florida is being considered a test bed for the defence of revealing the source code of the breathalyzer machines.

We've been down this road before.

At one time, there were "experts" who made their living extrapolating from the breathalyzer test results to determine exactly how intoxicated someone was at the time of the stop. It was a real racket, because they charged big bucks, but their clients did often get the charges thrown out.

Eventually, the legal system wised up and fixed the loophole.

But what's the difference if the defendant is given full discovery? Is disclosure of the source code really going to change the overall results?

rl
If you don't know where you're going, you should know where you came from. Gullah Proverb

But what's the difference if the defendant is given full discovery? Is disclosure of the source code really going to change the overall results?

The software *will* have bugs of some kind. This is a statistical fact and a characteristic of software in general. And a Defense *expert* can always argue that if the code had been written that way rather than this, the device would be more accurate/bug free/reliable/blah. The next obvious question is whether or not the bugs (read imperfections) are relevant, if so how relevant, etc. Meanwhile at least 1/12 of the jury, most or all of whom regard software as an obscure black art, will drift off into utter confusion. And this is the real objective.

Device manufacturers cannot reasonably be expected to exhaustively test and provide lifetime certification for every single unit produced. Nor can the State be expected to pay for endless trials in which each unit must be submitted to an *expert* to get an opinion on whether or not it is correctly constructed, especially if it contains software. And if a new version of the software is introduced into the field, does the comedy begin all over again?

The software question is a red herring. The relevant question is, Does the unit perform within specifications? And there should be a rapid and inexpensive means of answering this question. Speed guns have been down a similar road. Then the argument can shift to specifications which pertain to all units and away from ambiguous questions pertaining to a single unit.

What we have here is variant n on the OJ defense regarding DNA. "What? You mean there is a possibility that the DNA belonged to someone other than the accused? How can you say there isn't some doubt?"

The law imposes a vague, undefined term called *reasonable doubt* as a basis for jury verdicts. Smart defense lawyers, and not so smart, have learned that if they can confuse just part a jury sufficiently - not so difficult these days - they can parlay the confusion into doubt and a not-guilty verdict or hung jury. Defense then becomes primarily a matter of introducing a sufficient amount of chaff into the proceedings to create confusion.

The core issue in a jury trial is never really detecting *true* guilt or innocence. It's effective manipulation of the jury. That's a principal reason why defendants request jury trial in the first place rather than submitting arguments to a judge. So here we have just another instance of tired, but often effective, tactics disguised as a search for truth and justice.

"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have found out the exact measure of injustice and wrong which will be imposed upon them."

but when plastered, rational thinking doesn't prevail

Agreed...but no matter how blasted I am, I have never once even thought about driving, let alone tried to. Even totally drunk, one can control at least a few minute things, and one of those is the decision to not drive.

As I said above, we've been down this road before.

It won't last long.

rl

P.S. I agree with everything you wrote. I even understand it. I've had a DWI (that's what it was called where I come from) file pass through my hands a time or two. ;)
If you don't know where you're going, you should know where you came from. Gullah Proverb

but when plastered, rational thinking doesn't prevail

Agreed...but no matter how blasted I am, I have never once even thought about driving, let alone tried to. Even totally drunk, one can control at least a few minute things, and one of those is the decision to not drive.

Some people are...inflicted with an inability to learn. I know someone who has had three DUIs. This person has spent time in jail...three weeks not so long ago, as a matter of fact. After this person's release, the usual "I won't drink and drive" refrain echoed resoundingly from the rafters. This person's car recently spent some time at the body shop as the result of a close encounter with a tree. One does wonder how that happened, right?

I won't even talk about the night the house nearly burned down, because that has nothing to do with drinking and driving.

An alcoholic has no self-control while under the influence. That's the point of being under the influence for such people. And because they drink and drive, the rest of us need to be very fearful and extremely cautious when we venture out on the road.

Please note that the antiseptic flavor of my response is the result of more self-restraint than I have ever exercised in posting. This subject makes me livid, and if I had my way, people who drive under the influence of anything would spend long periods of time locked away from the rest of us.

rl

How about not drinking and driving. What is sooo hard about that? If you drink-dont drive. Simple concept to me. I would be more than happy to be the designated bitch for a night to keep my buds out of jail or in the worse case alive!

I wish more people were like you.

I get a Mike hug! I get a Mike hug!

Some people are...inflicted with an inability to learn.

Sad but true. The fucker that killed my sister had 9 priors. Why the fuck did he still have a license?

It is stories like Robin's, Sunny, that make me wonder why we do not lock these people up and throw the key away.

I'm so angry.

I'm so sorry.

rl

I would be more than happy to be the designated bitch for a night to keep my buds out of jail or in the worse case alive!

Pizza Bob's. Your wedding night. You're the DD. Make sure you have enough room in your front seat for a pizza and two pitchers of beer.:P
Shit happens. And it usually happens because of physics.

You know what I love.. I love the holier then thou people.

How is what I said holier that thou?

If you can't get the SARCASM in my post then please refrain from replying with a "I'm better then you, because you're stupid" attitude in my posts.

How did I give a "I'm better than you because your stupid" in my post. I dont know if you have gotten a DUI or anything. I was just replying from your post and the info I read the way people are now trying to get out of getting a DUI. I didnt sence any sarcasm in your post so I will say "I'm sorry" for not catching it.
If you find yourself in a fair fight, your tactics suck!

It was preaching.

You picked up my preaching by mistake like I missed your sarcasm. I hope you understand.

***I was also not looking for a discussion on drinking an driving. It was more about the laws and how Florida is being considered a test bed for the defence of revealing the source code of the breathalyzer machines.

Drunk driving and the breathalyzer go hand in hand in my book.

The point is you are entitled to all the same protection as anyone else in your jail cell (legal representation, non-self incrimination, etc.) UNLESS you piss away all of these rights by blowing, bleeding, staggering down the white line or giving them any other iron clad evidence to instantly convict you. If you hold out, the burden of proof is still on them.

How about not drinking and driving. What is sooo hard about that? If you drink-dont drive. Simple concept to me. I would be more than happy to be the designated bitch for a night to keep my buds out of jail or in the worse case alive!

Who the fuck is this guy? Why is he beating around the Bush? What's wrong with him. Beer gives you better perspective!
jraf

Me Jungleman! Me have large Babalui.
Muff #3275

Pizza Bob's. Your wedding night. You're the DD. Make sure you have enough room in your front seat for a pizza and two pitchers of beer.

If your still willing to jump into my wedding in Hawaii I can promise we wont be going to Pizza Bob's.

Who the fuck is this guy? ***

I'm Rick James Bitch!

Why is he beating around the Bush?

Beating around the Bush about what?

Beer gives you better perspective!

Perspective about what? Like lowering your inhibitions and waking up next to a woman you wouldnt be caught dead in public with?

Who the fuck is this guy? ***

I'm Rick James Bitch!

Why is he beating around the Bush?

Beating around the Bush about what?

Beer gives you better perspective!

Perspective about what? Like lowering your inhibitions and waking up next to a woman you wouldnt be caught dead in public with?

Next time you call me 'bitch' sonny...better watch your ass.

Gawd I love fresh meat!
jraf

Me Jungleman! Me have large Babalui.
Muff #3275

i got done for drink driving in january 1998. I was almost 4 times over the drink drive limits in England. I got a good solicitor who did a good job for me, and all i got was a 30 month ban (which i drove through anyway) and a £500 fine. The judge said if it wasn't for the arguments my solicitor put forward (said it was the fist time i'd ever done anything like that...yeah, right ;)) i'd have gone to prison

i was so pissed that when the pigs stopped me, i fell out of the car when they opened the door, i'd also parked the car half way up the curb :P

my alcohol level only came down below legal level at 4pm the next afternoon :D

A cab ride with in the city of DeLand is usually less than $6 (yeah, it's a small city). I did it from Daytona to DeLand once years ago (about 25 miles) and it was $40 - a shitload less than a DUI and worth it a million times over having an accident or hurting someone. The cab system is not great here by any means but not sure why more people don't go that route over driving drunk or driving with a seeminly less drunk friend.

Gets my vote. Wholeheartedly.

Why, oh why, do people drink and drive?

I have the same question of why. Once I decided to walk home (about 2 miles) from a bar 1 night and somebody called the cops cause I was stggering down the sidewalk. When the cop got there he asked what I was doing. I told him I was to drunk to drive and I left my truck at the bar and was walking home. He told me to get in the car, I thought I was going to jail but he took me home and wished me a goodnight. I have also called a friend in the middle of the night and woke him up to come get me from the bar. If they are anything of a friend to you they will do this. Better than having to come bail you out of jail. People who get DUI's get no sypathy from me and I hope they get the harshest punishment. Just my opinion.

Chile cheers and claps! I'm with'ya man, all the time I spend on the road, its bad enough the way some folks drive sober, add alcohol and its a nightmare.

ChileRelleno-Rodriguez Bro#414
Hellfish#511,MuffBro#3532,AnvilBro#9, D24868