quade

Lost In Translation - Movie Discussion

That's exactly why I hang out with dudes like you, actually: I get the hot one, you get the gross friends. Everybody wins. B|

*laughing too hard to be mad* sudsy, you WISH you had my leftovers! B|

Hey, if you go to town on their blubber layer, leaving not a morsel of fatty goodness, your leftovers might be right up my alley!

What was interesting to us is the way it captures the alien-ness of the day to day japanese culture. without understanding the language, and the signs around them, they are disconnected and disoriented. In that limbo like feeling, that hangs on even as the jet lag wears off, they found each other and managed to have fun and real contact, even hanging out with the 'real people' in town.

i loved the karaoke club....that is so japanese....and the crazy folks at the party.....maybe some skydivers in that crowd???

I bet your question was, "What did he whisper in her ear?"

My answer...I don't know. I saw an interview with Scarlett Johnson and she wouldn't say. It was kinda like the briefcase in Pulp Fiction, nobody knows.

Someone once asked Travolta what was in the briefcase. His answer: "A light bulb and a bunch of batteries."
"There are only three things of value: younger women, faster airplanes, and bigger crocodiles" - Arthur Jones.

I bet your question was, "What did he whisper in her ear?"

My answer...I don't know. I saw an interview with Scarlett Johnson and she wouldn't say. It was kinda like the briefcase in Pulp Fiction, nobody knows.

Someone once asked Travolta what was in the briefcase. His answer: "A light bulb and a bunch of batteries."

Actually it's suppose to be the big boss dude's soul.

I saw an interview with Quinten Tarantino and he stated that "whatever you think it is" was in the suitcase. He said different people have different opinions of what was in there and none of them are wrong. They are all right because he left it open to anything. ;)

I wonder what Quade is waiting for? It's been two years and he still hasn't asked his question. :|

I absolutely adorred this movie for it's boozey, dreamy, everything-looks-familiar-but-wtf-is-happening quality that you get when you visit a -really- foriegn country like Japan.

Well, you had correctly guessed the question; "What did he say to her at the end of the movie?"

I have a -very- strong opinion about what I think is the ONLY thing that makes sense from a writing/storytelling standpoint, but I'm curious to find out what other people think before saying what I think it is.

Here's my criteria; it has to make sense from a writing/storytelling perspective and (this is more difficult) is something that -could- be left unsaid to the audience (as done in the movie) and -still- make sense.

I think it's a terrific movie and that moment actually has a bit of personal meaning to me which I keep re-discovering.
quade -
The World's Most Boring Skydiver

Earlier in the movie they discussed a prison break m(leaving the country).

Bob: Can you keep a secret? I'm trying to organize a prison break. We have to first get out of this bar, then the hotel, then the city, and then the country. Are you in or you out?

Charlotte: I'm in.

Maybe he said something about it's time for the prison break.

Just my 2 cents.

B|

Ok, for me the only thing that seems to make any sense at all is for Bob to wrap up the entire story, validate what has happened between him and Charlotte, close that chapter yet leave the possibility of another chapter to continue at a later date.

Just to put this into perspective . . . ever see "Annie Hall"? If so you'll get the drift of this in a second. If not . . . come on . . . it's a classic.

I'd like to think that even as boozed up as Bob was, he realized that there are some moments in life that are actually unique and that any attempt to recreate them is destined not only to fail, but also cheapens the original experience.

So, to me, this is the -perfect- line.

I would like to think that Bob quotes something back to Charlotte that she said earlier in the film;

"Let's never come here again because it will never be as much fun."
quade -
The World's Most Boring Skydiver

One of my favorites, I own a copy and just watched it again a few nights ago.

I like the "premium fantasy" hooker who demanded he "lip my stockings!". Also the the samurai TV director shooting the Suntori commercial "Cutto - cutto - cutto !!"

It is dreamlike and reaches the right places inside my head. Oh, and one final thing - that COOL tall glass building with the moving pictures, like the dinosaur. WHY don't we have anything so amazingly cool here in the US ?!?!

Your humble servant.....Professor Gravity !

I really liked the movie the first time I watched it. I bought it...and watched it about a year later. I loved it even more the second time. It's just a really cool movie. The Bill Murray out-takes (DVD extra) are hilarious.

I cannot remember where I read it...but...Bill Murray said that the whisper was completely ad-libed. So, it's pretty much what you want it to be.

-Cory
Skydive Radio!!!

It is dreamlike and reaches the right places inside my head. Oh, and one final thing - that COOL tall glass building with the moving pictures, like the dinosaur. WHY don't we have anything so amazingly cool here in the US ?!?!

I'm tellin ya, they keep the best stuff for themselves! My trips to Taiwan and Japan have been nothing short of Blade Runner realized, I kid you not.

I really miss Japan....

"Let's never come here again because it will never be as much fun."

I actually rented this again last night but it skipped. Although the "making of" didn't skip. It appeared in the making of that Bill Murray add libbed a lot. Unfortunately I couldn't see the ending so I couldn't try to read their lips.