gravityizsexy

No DZ's in China???... anyone know why not?

Until very recently, China was poor country. Few poor countries have serious skydiving scenes or snowboarding scenes, etc., ...and if they do, it is only for the wealthiest 1%.
Now that the Chinese middle class is expanding at rocket rates, they are starting to buy cars, etc.
In the next few years, we can expect to see skydiving schools opening near large Chinese cities.

Because Chinese people don't skydive! :D

Seriously.............it's a communist country. They really discourage fun for the general population. [:/] Welcome to the real world.

Actually, I find there is a lot more fun to be had in Shanghai than there is in LA. Even though it's true that there is no sports skydiving in Mainland China. Mostly because last I checked, privately owned DZs usually try to make money, and the pool of potential skydivers was too small to justify sinking money into such venture. This will change with time, I hope, as I am moving there next month.:)Also, people who have never been there would be amazed at the level of personal freedom being currently found there. Still room for improvement, but a long way from the Cultural Revolution.

"For once you have tasted Absinthe you will walk the earth with your eyes turned towards the gutter, for there you have been and there you will long to return."

Also, people who have never been there would be amazed at the level of personal freedom being currently found there.

I have also seen cases of it being rather easy to piss off the "authorities." [:/] Yeah they are getting better but they still have their "Secret Police." :S

Also, people who have never been there would be amazed at the level of personal freedom being currently found there.

I have also seen cases of it being rather easy to piss off the "authorities." [:/] Yeah they are getting better but they still have their "Secret Police." :S

Not that secret, really. It's true that there are restrictions on free speech that we are not accustomed to. But once again, these are being eased out almost yearly. People make publicly fun of Mao, wear "FBI" T-Shirts, etc... China is creating its own brand of capitalism (much more pure than what we have in the US right now), so it is certainly not a communist country anymore. But I agree that there is more to be done (and it is happening) regarding free speech. However, the amount of fun to be had is quite amazing.B|

"For once you have tasted Absinthe you will walk the earth with your eyes turned towards the gutter, for there you have been and there you will long to return."

I remember (late 80s?) a Chinese government sponsored team of really young girls. I believe they were between 13 and 15 years old and they average around 1500 jumps each. They are being groomed to compete in the classic events.

The Russians, in the 1950s or so, realized rather than keep large standing forces of paratroopers they'd just subsidize skydiving for civilians. For just a few kopecks, if anything at all, you could start sport jumping. I think by the 1970s there are three million fun jumpers in Russia. The only rub is if the cold war had gone hot you'd be packing up your old kitbag . . .

NickD :)BASE 194

I remember (late 80s?) a Chinese government sponsored team of really young girls. I believe they were between 13 and 15 years old and they average around 1500 jumps each. They are being groomed to compete in the classic events.

The Russians, in the 1950s or so, realized rather than keep large standing forces of paratroopers they'd just subsidize skydiving for civilians. For just a few kopecks, if anything at all, you could start sport jumping. I think by the 1970s there are three million fun jumpers in Russia. The only rub is if the cold war had gone hot you'd be packing up your old kitbag . . .

Exactly. China has Armed Forces teams competing, as well as government sponsored teams. These people, as they retire from their teams, are the ones who are now pushing for sports skydiving in the country. Should take a couple of years before we see DZs popping up left and right...:)

I have also seen cases of it being rather easy to piss off the "authorities." Yeah they are getting better but they still have their "Secret Police."

Talk about SECRET POLICE!:S

My wife is in Berlin this week, at the same hotel at the Pres of China....
She said this morning that it would be easier to get in Fort Knox than the hotel lobby!:o

~ If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn? ~

>>My wife is in Berlin this week,<<

That's funny, Julia is going to Moscow on Sunday. If they both defect we're going to be a couple of lonely old guys . . .

Like THAT'S something new for us huh?!;)

~ If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn? ~

I was there a year and a half ago for around a month. It is becoming more free but don't expect it to be like the states, it still has a lot of the trappings of a communist state. Our tour bus company was not allowed to stop at any site not "gov't approved". We all wanted to stop at a grocery store to stock up on some chinese beer (mmmmm Tsing Tao and that other Beijing beer) bu tthey couldn't because it wasn't gov't approved, so they drove us a block up the road to a museum that was and we all just walked back to the store. :S Hey while you are there when you buy bottled beer make sure you return the bottle, you get like half the 50 cents it costs you back :)

Dixie
HISPA #56 Facil Rodriguez
"Scientific research has shown that 60% of the time, it works every time."

>>My wife is in Berlin this week,<<

That's funny, Julia is going to Moscow on Sunday. If they both defect we're going to be a couple of lonely old guys . . .

You lonely? Unlikely....

"Besides, no matter how much you like her, you'll like the next one too. Women are like buses, just wait ten minutes and another one will come along . . .

NickD
BASE 194"

they couldn't because it wasn't gov't approved, so they drove us a block up the road to a museum that was and we all just walked back to the store. \.

who can shop at the store??? and whats the penalty for this? I mean, from this I am getting that the store is illegal or something... not really sure how it works there.

"'Someday is not a day in my week'"