fpritchett64

Question about jumping Sabre1 170

Hi

I am planning a trip to Alabama over Mem day weekend to my hometown, Elberta, AL, home of ECSC, by coincidence, they happen to be hosting the Memorial Day Beach Boogie. If I get to make any jumps while I'm down, it will have to be at the dz and not at the beach....no B license yet. I don't have my own gear yet, and have been jumping a Tri190 at a wingloading of 1.08 for quite some time now with great landings, no problems whatsoever.

Since I don't have a rig yet, a friend of mine has offered to let me jump his rig with a Sabre1 170, if I feel comfortable jumping it. I am familiar with the dropzone, just not familiar with the 170 as I've never jumped it and just curious as to whether it would be too dangerous yet to attempt if I'm opening high, say 5 grand and using a very conservative straight in final approach. Is losing 20 sq feet and going from a 1.08 wingloading on a 7 cell to a 1.21 wingloading for 2 jumps max on a 9 cell too radical for my experience level? Would this be too big of a difference in speed for me to mess with if say the flare and timing aren't exactly perfect? I'm only asking because I've never jumped this canopy and not sure what to expect and I'm sure some of you experienced guys have the knowlege to share with me. I'm asking because I wnat my jumps to be safe, and if you guys don't feel it would be safe, then I'll definately take that advice. I haven't noticed any big differences in speed so far downsizing, but this could be the one, so I need to know before I get in the air with it.

Please let me know what your thoughts are.

First jump at a new dz (that's having a boogie, no less) and first jump on a smaller canopy all on the same jump?

Doesn't seem like a good idea to me even if a 1.2 wingloading is appropriate for your ability (which, judging by your questions, doesn't seem real likely).

Hi

I am planning a trip to Alabama over Mem day weekend to my hometown, Elberta, AL, home of ECSC, by coincidence, they happen to be hosting the Memorial Day Beach Boogie. If I get to make any jumps while I'm down, it will have to be at the dz and not at the beach....no B license yet. I don't have my own gear yet, and have been jumping a Tri190 at a wingloading of 1.08 for quite some time now with great landings, no problems whatsoever.

Since I don't have a rig yet, a friend of mine has offered to let me jump his rig with a Sabre1 170, if I feel comfortable jumping it. I am familiar with the dropzone, just not familiar with the 170 as I've never jumped it and just curious as to whether it would be too dangerous yet to attempt if I'm opening high, say 5 grand and using a very conservative straight in final approach. Is losing 20 sq feet and going from a 1.08 wingloading on a 7 cell to a 1.21 wingloading for 2 jumps max on a 9 cell too radical for my experience level? Would this be too big of a difference in speed for me to mess with if say the flare and timing aren't exactly perfect? I'm only asking because I've never jumped this canopy and not sure what to expect and I'm sure some of you experienced guys have the knowlege to share with me. I'm asking because I wnat my jumps to be safe, and if you guys don't feel it would be safe, then I'll definately take that advice. I haven't noticed any big differences in speed so far downsizing, but this could be the one, so I need to know before I get in the air with it.

Please let me know what your thoughts are.

I went to my current Sabre 170 at 1.1 wingloading at 59 jumps, and have been jumping it ever since. It was borderline pushing it even back then. You'd be way more radical than I'd be doing. One can easily break an ankle doing a staged flare incorrectly on an unfamiliar canopy... (When going to ZP above 1.0, a proper multistage, or rather, nonlinear flare is critical)

Hey, thanks a lot to the both of you for the great information. Looks like it would be a little dangerous to attempt right now. I think if I do get a chance to jump this weekend, I'll just rent some gear and jump something I know I can handle.

Thanks again, your information was very useful:)

have been jumping a Tri190 at a wingloading of 1.08 for quite some time now

Jumps: 52

Not massively current either then?

You're right, money has been tight lately and I've been staying current according to USPA's standards, making a jump or 2 every month or so, but I'd feel much better if I could jump a little more often.

Hey, thanks a lot to the both of you for the great information. Looks like it would be a little dangerous to attempt right now. I think if I do get a chance to jump this weekend, I'll just rent some gear and jump something I know I can handle.

Thanks again, your information was very useful:)

Consider the Square1 payment plan for a new rig. You get free gear rentals (at that dropzone, i.e. Perris) while you make instalment payments towards a new rig. Ask them if they still have this deal. Should be perfect for you if you are close enough to a Square1! Eventually you have much more money for jumps.

If in school, concentrate on that first. You need to get that education for that job that will pay for your skydiving hobby. :)

Hey, I didn't realize that was available, I'll have to check in to it definately. It's not really the money for jumps and gear rental that is killing me, it's the drive, although it's only about 80 miles one way, we all know how gas prices have gotten, so I can't make the trip as often. I usually pack enough while I'm out to offset the cost of gear rental, and the jump, it's just that due to my fiance's work schedule (only have one vehicle), I usually don't have enough time to pack enough to offset the cost of the drive...if that makes sense.

I guess I could always get rid of her, throw up a tent Friday night, and hang out until Sunday afternoon jumping and packing my ass off:ph34r::ph34r:...theres a plan!!

I think if I do get a chance to jump this weekend, I'll just rent some gear and jump something I know I can handle.

Good call.

For the future, when making these decisions remember that most incidents are not the result of a single mistake, but rather a series of events, decisions, or conditions that put someone in a situation that's beyond their ability to handle.

You were looking at a new canopy, a smaller canopy, a different DZ, a boogie, low jump numbers, and being somewhat uncurrent. That's a lot of factors that individually are small but add up to a lot of risk. You can't remove all of these, but the decision you've made wipes out the first two. Very cool.
"Some people follow their dreams, others hunt them down and beat them mercilessly into submission."

Kind of amazing reading the reply's, should have made the trip, E-Coast has many outs and a very large landing area. Jumping at different DZ's is one of the best experiences a person can have and meeting alot of nice people. I jumped at about 7 different DZ's my first 100 jumps and it was great. Sorry you missed it, im sure someone there would have taken you under their wing and made a safe time for you.....Just my thoughts.
HKS