Dumpster

Towing with a Tacoma -

Wondering if some one out there has experience beefing up a Tacoma to tow a serious (4000+) pounds (I.E. another vehicle - ) cross-country (about 750 miles or so - ) Mostly "level " terrain - (Hills here and there but no mountains)

What I'm starting out with is a 2004 Tacoma, V-6, Prerunner/ SR5 package. Auto trans.
I know it won't tow that much in it's present configuration, but any idea if it's possible and/or cost effective to have the factory tow package installed? Options?

Easy Does It

I can't answer your question but:
I have a 2004 SR5 V6 TRD(stick) that I drove 3,000 miles in 3 days. I had a BIG dirtbike in the back along with several hundred pounds of personal belongings, 3 guys in the cab and it made it over 2 mountain ranges including the Rockies with ease. Any Toyota Dealership will be able to instal the tow kit for you.
With the proper towing equipment and 4,000lbs I think youd make it fine, just stick to the slow lane[:/]

EDIT: Oh, if you have $1,200 laying around you could slap on the TRD Suppercharger and get there in record time....

The pic was taken a week ago the camera date was not set.

You trying to say the Taco wont make it?
It'll do fine..

Yes, it'll be fine, but the gas mileage will suck with all that extra load. Figure to add about 20% or so to gas expenses...
"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

A factory tow package doesn't increase the amount the truck can safely tow. It gives you most of the stuff you'll need to tow with (hitch, maybe springs, tranny cooler if appropriate, trailer wiring).

Towing capacity for the '06 Tacoma is 3500 lbs per their website (the "capacities" tab). I DEFINITELY don't recommend you try to pull that type of weight with that truck.

Do you have a friend with a full size 1/2 or 3/4 ton pickup that could help you out? It would be MUCH, MUCH safer.
Mike
I love you, Shannon and Jim.
POPS 9708 , SCR 14706

Yep - 3,500 pounds regular, then with the tow package supposed to take it up over 4,000 pounds which is what I need to tow an '89 Jeep Cherokee out to New York State from Illinois. I'm not sure what the tow package includes, but I'd like to think that along with springs, wiring and so on it would add beefier brakes, trans cooler, etc.

Some one else mentioned having it trucked out there, too. Said it might only cost a few hundred? Anyone know about this?

Easy Does It

Yep - 3,500 pounds regular, then with the tow package supposed to take it up over 4,000 pounds which is what I need to tow an '89 Jeep Cherokee out to New York State from Illinois. I'm not sure what the tow package includes, but I'd like to think that along with springs, wiring and so on it would add beefier brakes, trans cooler, etc.

Some one else mentioned having it trucked out there, too. Said it might only cost a few hundred? Anyone know about this?

A quick Google found this site.

I looked on the Toyota website and saw one mention of over 4k lbs, but couldn't find any mention of heavier springs or the like. I've towed near-max loads with my pickup before, and you really *DON'T* want to do it unless you absolutely have to. Handling, acceleration and braking DEFINITELY suffers.

I also didn't see any mention of the tongue weight being upgraded with the tow package. Tongue weight less than 10% of the towed load (in your case, ~400 lbs) can make things squirrely. You'd need at least a Class III hitch for a 4000 lb trailer and I'd definitely recommend a weight distributing setup.

A quick search on Etrailer didn't bring up any hitches that would fit the Tacoma with the Xrunner package.

For what it would cost you to buy the parts to upgrade the Tacoma for the towing package, the heavier hitch and weight distributing setup AND the vehicle trailer, you'd get away cheaper to either hire a vehicle mover, or drive the Jeep yourself and fly back.
Mike
POPS 9708 , SCR 14706

Yes I've thought about that, too, driving out and flying back. I know I can make it out there in about 10-12 hours, if I'm driving solo. I just might do that.

I don't forsee towing anything with the Taco that would make it worthwhile doing all that work to it. I'd like to get a smallish camper, but nothing big enough to load it to the max like that.

Thanks for the help, Folks!!

Easy Does It

The truck will do fine. Have the dealer install the towing equipment, and re-check your fluid levels and you're off. The 2004 Tacoma with a V6 is rated to about 5,000 pounds of towing, so you'll be okay.

The factory tow package should consist of a hitch attached to the chassis, under the rear bumper. I don't know how much it would cost to attach it, but likely less than a one-way rental truck.

Toyotas are bulletproof.

edited to correct stats.
So I try and I scream and I beg and I sigh
Just to prove I'm alive, and it's alright
'Cause tonight there's a way I'll make light of my treacherous life
Make light!

I saw that on the Toyota page, once I figured out how to look for it - I gave you bad initial info.

With that said, the towing package does nothing to upgrade springs/shocks (I looked, it's hitch/lighting/cooling only) - I certainly wouldn't take it over the "standard" towing weight if it was me driving it.... and I still feel you'd come out cheaper with the other options we spoke of, up-thread.

Good luck, whichever way you go with it!
Mike
POPS 9708 , SCR 14706