Zeppo

Riggers Course

I am interested in becomming a rigger. I have currently arranged to be instructed by a CSPA rated rigger, my question is do I have to take a rigging course that purely CSPA, or can I get my training, and then cross the border to take the course, and become FAA rated?

I'm not really sure how it all works, so I'm just seeking clarification.

If it's possible, is there any central location where courses are posted, or people who might know when courses are being held?

Thanks.
What goes up, must come DOWN!!!

I am interested in becomming a rigger. I have currently arranged to be instructed by a CSPA rated rigger, my question is do I have to take a rigging course that purely CSPA, or can I get my training, and then cross the border to take the course, and become FAA rated?

I'm not really sure how it all works, so I'm just seeking clarification.

If it's possible, is there any central location where courses are posted, or people who might know when courses are being held?

Thanks.

So I presume you'd like to be an FAA certified rigger.

As far as I know, there is nothing in the FARs that state you must do your training in the US. In reality, the only thing the FAA has anything to do with is the testing and evaluating. So... you show up to an FAA certified Designated Parachute Rigger Examinor's (DPRE) place and do your oral and practical examinations, go to an FAA testing site and do the written test, and you're officially a rigger if/when you pass all three examinations.

Part 65.115 does stipulate, however, that you must have been documented as being supervised by someone holding the type rating of hte rigs you packed before taking the tests (so that person supervising your pack jobs would technically have to have an FAA riggers certificate for the type of containers you're packing)...that's my interpretation of part 65.115 though.

Cheers,
Travis

Hi zeppo,

For anything that you have done for training and for a letter stating such, it will have to be under an FAA-licensed rigger.

Now, if you plan to take some additional course here in the USA, then you're OK.

Sorry, the US FAA does not recognize any other country's ratings.

If your CSPA trainer is a FAA-licensed rigger, you're good to go.

JerryBaumchen

Well that's certainly unfortunate to hear. I was mostly curious because There is only one individual (so I've been told) in Canada who currently teaches a Riggers course (and he's out West) - several thousand miles away.

I guess I'll just have to fly out there when he holds the course then...I don't think I really have any other choice.
What goes up, must come DOWN!!!

Riggerrob has come out east from time to time for a course, but not every year.

Another jumper in Ontario went to Chicago for a course, and does all his rigging here in Canada under his FAA certificate. Despite the course, he still found it very useful to have apprenticed a little with someone here first.

One minor issue is that he feels much more constrained to do things "by the book", because that's a requirement of the US rating.

Send me an email buddy and I will give you more information than you want to know on the subject. There are more people than just Rob that do rigging courses in the Country. There are a couple of people closer to you that could help you out with it.

Another thing you could do is talk to the TSC or Barry directly and get information right from the horse's mouth.

There might be a guy real close to you, (Toronto) that could be doing a course. Will give more in an email don't want to be throwing names and emails out on here.

I did my course in Farnham with riggerrob. He was a grouchy old guy but once you buy him a bag of apples he's just fine. It was a very good technical course - by no means a walk in the park.

I did a lot of prep work - read and studied all of Poynters until I understood a lot of the technical and historical stuff before even showing up to the course. Most who took the course described it as brutal.

-Michael

I just don't like putting people's names or information out there if I don't have there permission to do so. Any new rigger or person aspiring to be a rigger has access to the TSC and they can email them for information. After all CSPA rigger courses do have to be registered and such with them.