rehmwa

Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire

Saw it last night. It was really pretty good. They are figuring out which parts can be let go for the movie version. I think each has been better than the last. And the 3 kids are becoming really good actors.

No details from this source, sorry.

I hope they keep it up.

(We had a friend give us advance show tickets - pretty nice of her)

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

And the 3 kids are becoming really good actors.

They're also becoming really cute. Not that I would notice Daniel Radcliffe as an attractive young man until he turns 18, of course.;) (Though someone recently told me his girlfriend is 23 or something).
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke

Sigh. I didn't like it all that much. I wasn't a fan of the last one though. I guess its really hard to cram a book that big into a movie. Things have really digressed as far as which parts of the story they tell.

Dixie
HISPA #56 Facil Rodriguez
"Scientific research has shown that 60% of the time, it works every time."

this part of the story isn't light and charming. This is the book were the most evil wizard of all time is reborn. Don't expect the rest of the movies to be anything like the first two. They will be as dark or darker than this one....atleast they should be.

I thought they did an ok job of transfering it to film but i HATE it when they add some stupid thing that wasn't in the book. Thats precious minutes they could deepin the story line more or explain a couple things. The fuck up in the last movie about not explaining moony, wormtail, padfoot, and prongs comes to mind(would have taken 20 seconds).

I loved how Voldemort looked, but his eyes could have look alot more evil
I swear you must have footprints on the back of your helmet - chicagoskydiver
My God has a bigger dick than your god -George Carlin

I loved how Voldemort looked, but his eyes could have look alot more evil

Yeah, I think in the book, his eyes are yellow slits, or red slits, like a snake. But I suspect they didn't want to change Ralph Feinnes eyes because that would make him harder to recognize (maybe it's in his contract or something). I thought the way they did his nose was awesome, and made up for it.

Can't think of much that they added in this movie that wasn't in the book - the tongue-flick thing by Crouch Jr. But it has been a while since I read the book - almost 8 months :D OTOH, what they left out of the movie could make a complete second movie - like Kill Bill.
Trapped on the surface of a sphere. XKCD

Are Harry Potter fans gay ? Or am i for thinking so ?
:D

edit : No offense, i think a lot of things are gay. :S

You have to stop asking people that. They'll start getting ideas.:P

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

All in all, I think they did a pretty good job with the movie knowing they had to cut a lot out and still present a lot of information. The movie stands on its own as well as being a part of a bigger story.

I'm with you on Voldemort's eyes- the eyes are the window to a person's soul. Voldemort has lost so much of his humanity, that even though he's regained human form, he doesn't look quite human. I think altering the eyes would have been a much better way to convey that than what they did with his nose.

Extras? I could have done without the study hall scene and Snape disciplining Ron and Harry. It was out of character for Snape AND I felt like Snape's role in this movie was reduced to him lurking and sneering in corners. I think that's a waste of an excellent actor and character. Plus, in terms of the bigger picture, I think that was the wrong part of the story to cut because Harry's relationship with Snape is such a huge factor.

But, that being said, I thought the director did a very good job of conveying other relationships and plot twists in very subtle ways, alluding and hinting at things without full exposition. The scene where Barty Sr. recognizes his son is a good example of that- effective even though it was the Cliffs Notes version....

I saw it yesterday. I had just finished the book last week so it was still pretty fresh in my mind. I think they did a pretty good job of doubling up story lines to make the movie a little shorter but it was a little bit of a let down because I had just finished the book and was expecting more I guess. I imagine it's damn hard to make a movie out of such a big book anyway.

A couple of things that bugged me were that they cut the entire beginning out of the movie and they left the stuff about the reporter out in the end (unless I left too soon and they showed it after the credits). They also left out all the classroom stuff with Hagrid and I really wanted to see that.
Edited to add: What happened to all the giant stuff and the death eaters? And the house elfs? And Sirius Black as a dog?

All in all though, I think it was a great movie. It's getting so much darker and at times I even jumped from fright. I think some of the kids in the theatre had to leave because they were too scared to watch it. It's not a little kids movie anymore.

--------------

(Do not, I repeat DO NOT, take my posts seriously.)

Yeah, I definitely missed Sirius in this movie- only one scene with his head in a fire?

And at the end of the book, when Dumbledore is essentially gathering his troups and realizes the ministry won't work with him- that's so crucial to the next installment. I think they definitely missed some opportunities, but all in all, they did a good job. The next one's going to be even harder to translate to the big screen!

At one time I believed Harry Potter Fans were gay...

Now I know otherwise :)

Thanks Arthur!

your welcome lol i knew reading all the books over the phone would have some kind of effect good or bad:D:D:PB|
I swear you must have footprints on the back of your helmet - chicagoskydiver
My God has a bigger dick than your god -George Carlin

I enjoyed it but I was a bit disappointed that they didn't do anything with the Rita Skeeter character. Why mention her at all if they were gonna have her in the movie for 2 seconds?

Also, I think they should of explained the scene with Harry and Voldemorts wands locking at the end...it made sense to me but not so much to my hubby who has not read the books...

Also, the maze...I thought that they were in there for about 2 minutes with very few obstacles before they found the cup...

Overall, though, I really enjoyed it...:)

Most of us posting here read the book, so we knew from the get-go that a 2.5 hour movie couldn't possibly capture all the storylines and still be good. We knew some stuff had to be omitted, like the house elves and other stuff peripheral to the TriWizard Tournament.

Now that it's here though, I would have liked a bit more even if it were longer.

Do y'all think an extra 30 minutes or so would have been better to flesh things out a bit? Do you think a Kill Bill - style 2-volume flick would have worked?

As is, I really liked it. Saw it twice already. :)

you've got to ask yourself one question: 'Do I feel loquacious?' -- well do you, punk?