JanuszPS

does it need to be relined???

Can some experience guy/rigger advice if the canopy requires reline, I would really appreciate that. Definitely I should change the steering ones (F - middle steering lines) as on the full flight there is still some input on the tail.
Regards
Janusz
Ps
I posting again as previous post is more related to hard opening.
Back to Poland... back home.

I am not a rigger but i am curious as to know how one could tell if it needs a reline just fromt he information you have provided in this thread.

I am not trying to be funny either, just interested to know.

.Karnage Krew Gear Store

Can some experience guy/rigger could advice if the canopy requires reline,

No, you need actual measurements for that.

I would really appreciate that. Definitely I should change the steering ones (F - middle steering lines) as on the full flight there is still some input on the tail.

Even when they start out at a reasonable length, spectra steering lines can become too short in a few hundred jumps.

Instead of just replacing the brake toggle lines to get more slack, you should measure the existing brake lines and replace both the lower steering and brake toggle lines so you have something close to a factory brake setting.

Yes, from the last photo it looks like you need to re-attach your toggles. If you are in full flight it looks to be inhibiting the tail a bit. Otherwise you need a re-line when the canopy starts acting like your girlfriend and not your wife. It really depends on how tapered and how highly wing loaded your wing is as to how much out of trim you can stand.

Like a PD 170 can be severely out of trim (factory line spec) but still be okay to jump because its a low performance canopy and wouldn't put you into the kind of line twists that you'd have to chop. The higher the performance and the higher the wing loading the more you need to pay attention to line trim. Taking a small Stiletto, at a high performance wing loading, to 300 jumps and you will be pushing the line specs.

The above discounts, of course, any obvious line damage. And the reason lines go out of trim is because we use sliders. The inboard and outboard lines actually touch the slider grommets as the slider descends and this rubbing creates friction that heats those lines enough to heat shrink them.

If you only just B.A.S.E. jump without ever using a slider your lines would never go out of trim, or at least they would go out of trim evenly and you'd never notice it . . .

NickD :)

I am not a rigger but i am curious as to know how one could tell

if it needs a reline just fromt he information you have provided in this thread.

I am not trying to be funny either, just interested to know.***

obviously from the measured chart which I attached in Adobe format.
Look on the pdf file and you see three main columns, 1) Manufacturer data, 2) left and 3) right measured values.
thanks
Janusz

Can some experience guy/rigger could advice if the canopy requires reline,

No, you need actual measurements for that.

they are attached in Adobe format file. The question is still actual.
cheers
Janusz

I may not be the rigging god that you are hoping for, but I will do my best. If you have no slack at "full-flight", your steering lines need to be adjusted or replaced. Which one will depend on the condition of the lines. I'm guessing that they are made of spectra. If so, they have a tendency to shrink when friction/heat is applied. This will generally apply to all of your outside lines, as they are the ones that make the most forceful contact with the slider grommets, and therefore produce the most friction/heat. These are the lines that are most likely to go out-of-trim first. Measure them against the man-specs along with the rest of your lines...on second thought, let you rigger do that.

I was taught a neat trick by Brian Germain once...Spectra lines can be stretched back into trim by hand, if they are in otherwise good condition.

If you are not living on the edge, you are taking up too much space.

No it was not that obvious to me. that is why i asked the question as I would like to learn more about certain areas of gear.
Thank you.

I thought that everything is given in the attached page. What else is necessary?
There are spectra lines. All about 250-300 jumps. The steering lines are already replaced. But the question is if the rest should be changed?
Which is better - spectra or vectran?
maybe some rigger could advice?
thanks
Janusz

1. I am not a rigger....(yet).

2. Holy C__P Batman! Given the data you have provided, it appears that some of your lines have shrunk as much as 10 inches! If you look carefully, the shrinkage is NOT homogeneous (which is exactly what we would expect).

For example, the line you have labeled as A1 Left has shrunk 10 inches, the line you have labeled as A4 Left has shrunk 2.5 inches. As a result the A1 Left is now 6.5 inches SHORTER than A4 Left, instead of A1 Left being an inch LONGER than A4 Left in the original set.

As a result, the shape of your wing has changed as these lines have shrunk different amounts.
The choices we make have consequences, for us & for others!

All measures are in "cm" not "inches" as per manufacturer's recommendation.
But 10 cm seams to be a lot, but I don't know as I'm a jumper with little experience, if this require change. That's the reason for question.

Janusz

Same question different wing. Spectre 230. I got ~3 inches difference between A lines. PD specs say A lines should be the same. On openings, after snivel and inflation, it rocks to left then right then left then right for about 3-4 sec. I get ~40 degree off heading with all the rocking. Takes ~1000 ft to open. Lands well under correct input.
Lock, Dock and Two Smoking Barrelrolls!