kelel01

The grammar police take out a warrant on "Parachutist"

Whoo. Maybe I just never READ my Parachutist ads or something, but man, oh, man. It ain't pretty.

1). The most glaring and horrid error is in the first Aerodyne ad: " . . . or make all your Christmas's bright". Look out! Here comes an "s"! :D

2). I'll leave the Javelin Odyssey ad in the front cover alone. Anyone could make that mistake. Just a subject-verb agreement kinda thing.

3). The ad for Skydive Venezuela has "telephone" spelled "telphone", which was probably just a typo - or maybe a language thing.

4). And then I need some help with this one, as it might not be an error, but I just don't get it. In the full-page CYPRES ad (it's a timeline, hence the year): "2003: owner never needs to change or to pay a battery, no jump number limitation". Ignoring the missing hyphen, I've never actually had to pay a battery before. And I'm pretty sure if one ever came looking for something I owed it, I could kick its ass. :D

Anyway, I was just bored, and I can't sleep, so I thought in keeping with the other "grammar police" thread, I'd post my thoughts. I'm sure that Parachutist isn't actually in charge of proofing the ads, so it's not really their fault. But that Aerodyne ad . . . yikes!

That's the bad thing. I don't read most of the articles. I look at ALL of the pictures, and I read most of the full-page ads (and the rising fallers ;)). I don't read the small ads, though, or pretty much anything else, unless the subject interests me.

Damn, I spent years learning how not to be the comma queen. . .but these samples are priceless. . .
FGF #6
Darcy

The Paratec ad has issues too. Its vs. It's.

Also, the Icarus Safire2 ad: "The greatest all-round canopy." Is it the greatest all-around canopy or a really great ROUND canopy? ;) (I know both are acceptable, but the words "ROUND CANOPY" jumped out at me). :D

Sunrise Rigging has had some huge, glaring errors in their ads during the past year or so. Their December ad is fine though.

Gak! Another it's/its issue. The ad for the PAC on pg 84.

I'm going to stop looking at this magazine. There are tons of errors every month, even within the stories. :D

You're right. The 1st "it's" was correct (in the PAC ad), but then they screwed up the second.

And the Paratec ad gets worse: " . . . with all of it's innovative features, and made it one of the most comfortable by added a new ergonomically designed harness."

I'm starting a charity, called, "Help Your Fellow Skydivers Graduate 4th Grade". [:/]:|

And the Paratec ad gets worse

Help Your Fellow Skydivers Graduate 4th Grade

i bet they did very well in fourth grade....in germany where the company is based....:P

See? Now that's even worse. They should speak English better than us! Every German in my exchange program wrote in English better than every American! :D

And I think Parachutist should at least look over the ads they place. Then they could politely inform the dealer/manufacturer that there's a BIG GLARING ERROR (Aerodyne, again) in their expensive full-page ad. :|

Good call! I didn't even get that far with the Paratec ad. I had to stop before my brain exploded! Maybe we can give them a "get out of jail free" card since it's (not its) a German company.

There's a building in town with a huge sign that says "Womans Club." I'm going to climb up there with a paint brush one day. :ph34r:

I'm not the only one, Yey!;) Hence my sig line.

My specific Communications track was magazine journalism--I had AP style coming out of my ears. I can't hardly read anything w/out editing it:P But, I've definitely relapsed over the years.
Paint me in a corner, but my color comes back.

My health department (where i went yesterday for a tetanus shot for school) has a PERMANENT sign (one that's engraved) that says "fee's and checkout". Sometimes I find it really hard not to be a bitch . . . the rest of the time I just am. :D

Kelly, I know youre bored, and you is the gramma poleece. But I'm thinkin'. If you removed the corn cob outta yo ass. This all may be a little less stressful for ya! :D:D

Oh, and love that sig... cuz the rules dont aplee to me bioch! :P
Goddam dirty hippies piss me off! ~GFD
"What do I get for closing your rig?" ~ me
"Anything you want." ~ female skydiver
Mohoso Rodriguez #865

Hmmmm . . . perhaps I should get a corn cob-ectomy. But this is too much fun for me! :D

Ill bet youd feel better! :o
You ARE coming to the party this Friday!?;)
Goddam dirty hippies piss me off! ~GFD
"What do I get for closing your rig?" ~ me
"Anything you want." ~ female skydiver
Mohoso Rodriguez #865

Negative. I have to work. And I now have a beautiful negative account balance to boot.

Warning: Thread hijack:P

Speaking of which, I just got my FOURTH call this month for the "office donation" for so-and-so's Christmas gift. I'm not an uncaring person--just SO against this type of thing. I believe I posted about it numerous times. It will always drive me insane.:P
Paint me in a corner, but my color comes back.