yamtx73

Alone (if you don't like poetry don't read)

Alone, drifting in a raging sea
the storm of life surrounding me
as I fought for my life
fought the waves of loneliness.

I found another, also adrift
and we held to each other
so we wouldn't be so alone
in our time of need.

I met a raven haired beauty,
she was full of life and love,
vivacious and so very much alone
as was I, we became very good friends.

The surge of the waves pushed at us,
waves of time and distance drove
between us and I tried to fight them
but I felt my friend slipping away.

The harder I fought the waves
the further apart we became, so I
stopped fighting and let the waves push
we drifted further and further apart.

Unable to keep my friend with me,
unable to reach out and touch her,
she was pulled away from me
and my heart sank into the depths.

The tides brought her closer again,
I tried again to reach out to her
but my reach was too short
and I can again feel her drifting away.

I am very much afraid
that my friend will be gone
this time forever,
I mourn my loss........

I don't know if she will return
with the next tide or not,
my hopes goes with her
in hope of her return....
The only naturals in this sport shit thru feathers...

A beautiful tribute...if it is indeed such. Beautiful regardless.
Kevin - Sonic Beef #5 - OrFun #28
"I never take myself too seriously, 'cuz everybody know fat birds don't fly." - FLC
Online communities: proof that people never mature much past high school.

That was good...

These are a couple of my favorites:

The Face we choose to miss --
Be it but for a Day
As absent as a Hundred Years,
When it has rode away.

-Emily Dickinson

And on a liighter note:

Nobody loves me
Nobody cares
Nobody picks me peaches and pears
Nobody offers me candy and cokes,
Nobody listens and laughs at my jokes.
Nobody helps me when i get in a fight,
Nobody does all my homework at night.
Nobody misses me,
Nobody cries,
Nobody thinks i'm a wonderful guy.
So if you ask me who's my best friend, in a whiz,
I'll stand up and tell you Nobody is.
But yesterday night I got quite a scare,
I woke up and Nobody just wasn't there.
I called out and reached out for Nobody's hand,
In the darkness where Nobody usually stands.
Then I poked through the house, in each cranny and nook,
But I found somebody each place that I looked.
I searched till I'm tiered, and now with the dawn,
There's no doubt about it-
Nobody's gone!

-Shel Silverstein
Livin' on the Edge... sleeping with my rigger's wife...

Nice poem. I wrote one with similar sentiments about 5 years ago myself

Enjoy :)_____________

I long for one last night with you.
One night
Where we drop all our
Pretense
When we can
Make love
And know it

I long for one last kiss
Knowing it is the kiss I
Long for
And will
Never
Feel again

I long for one last embrace
Let my body
Embrace yours
Wishing that it will
Never end
Knowing the
Love
Never will

I look back at that, and read your lovely poem, and it makes me wonder. Instead of putting all that energy and focus into a connection that either won't or can't happen, shouldn't we really be making those connections with our own selves?

Food for thought. :-)
Erleichda!

"I just wasn't myself today," Gupta commented. "I wasn't any self today. I was an egoless particle of the universal no-soul."

I look back at that, and read your lovely poem, and it makes me wonder. Instead of putting all that energy and focus into a connection that either won't or can't happen, shouldn't we really be making those connections with our own selves?

Food for thought. :-)

We really don't know if a connection will happen until we try to connect.

I think making a connection with oneself is highly overrated.

People who are honest with themselves about their motivations don't need to be too much more introspective. It's good to think, but if all your thought is about yourself, then what's the point of anything?

rl
If you don't know where you're going, you should know where you came from. Gullah Proverb

People who are honest with themselves about their motivations don't need to be too much more introspective. It's good to think, but if all your thought is about yourself, then what's the point of anything?

rl

I think, perhaps too much, that is too simplistic an approach. I believe it is only through introspection into our true motives that we can begin the path to self-actualization. If we don't know where we are coming from, how can we know where we are going? It is a similar maxim to you are destined to repeat history if you don't study it. as beings, we should take, and deserve to, the time to understand ourselves.
Erleichda!

"I just wasn't myself today," Gupta commented. "I wasn't any self today. I was an egoless particle of the universal no-soul."

rl

I think, perhaps too much, that is too simplistic an approach. I believe it is only through introspection into our true motives that we can begin the path to self-actualization. If we don't know where we are coming from, how can we know where we are going?

I know people who have spent the better part of their lives on this question. They went nowhere because they were so focused on themselves that they never had a clue what was going on around them.

It's a double-edged sword.

It is a similar maxim to you are destined to repeat history if you don't study it. as beings, we should take, and deserve to, the time to understand ourselves.

The way we really get to know ourselves is by examining our interactions with others. Being less self-conscious and more other-conscious makes people happier and more well-rounded in the long run.

A certain amount of self-esteem, self-awareness and self-love are necessary to survival. Beyond a certain point, however, all three qualities become self-defeating. At least if we hope to have any kind of relationship with the world around us.

rl
If you don't know where you're going, you should know where you came from. Gullah Proverb

It's a double-edged sword.

The way we really get to know ourselves is by examining our interactions with others. Being less self-conscious and more other-conscious makes people happier and more well-rounded in the long run.

A certain amount of self-esteem, self-awareness and self-love are necessary to survival. Beyond a certain point, however, all three qualities become self-defeating. At least if we hope to have any kind of relationship with the world around us.

rl

I don't disagree. What we have to do is become aware, period. True self-actualisation is not a selfish endeavor.

Maslow writes the following of self-actualizing people:

-They embrace the facts and realities of the world (including themselves) rather than denying or avoiding them.
-They are spontaneous in their ideas and actions.
-They are creative.
-They are interested in solving problems; this often includes the problems of others. Solving these problems is often a key focus in their lives.
-They feel a closeness to other people, and generally appreciate life.
-They have a system of morality that is fully internalized and independent of external authority.
-They judge others without prejudice, in a way that can be termed objective.

Using Maslow's heirchy as a launching point, to be self actualized, you have to have met your other basic needs. A musician must make music, the artist must paint, a poet must write, if he is to be ultimately at peace with himself. What a man can be, he must be. This need we may call self-actualisation. (Motivation and Personality, 1954.) To become what you are isn't inherently selfish, but you have to take the time to truly begin that journey.
Erleichda!