JaapSuter

Escalator Revelation

Coming home from work last night and walking up an escalator, I had an interesting revelation.

If you're walking up (not down) on an escalator that is moving up, the key to touching as many steps as possible, is to spend the least amount of time on it.

That's sort of paradoxical.

it's true if your intent is to touch as many stairs as possible with the intent of actually going upstairs:P

Otherwise the key would be start at the top of an escalator going up and just constantly walk the wrong way without getting off of it...

You lost me there... But, to prove your point, get something to mark one of the steps that won't come off easily, then count how many steps there are when it makes a full rotation. Then see how many steps you touch going up... I'm pretty damn sure you won't even get half of them.
"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

it's true if your intent is to touch as many stairs as possible with the intent of actually going upstairs:P

Otherwise the key would be start at the top of an escalator going up and just constantly walk the wrong way without getting off of it...

Climbing very quickly, the max number of stairs is the number of stairs exposed when escalator is off.

If you move upward more slowly than the individual stairs, it is possible to touch more stairs than by climbing very quickly, since there is no such limiting factor (assuming you can count the same step as two if it comes around twice and you step on it both times).

Wow. I'm really bored today. [:/]

For Great Deals on Gear

Coming home from work last night and walking up an escalator, I had an interesting revelation.

If you're walking up (not down) on an escalator that is moving up, the key to touching as many steps as possible, is to spend the least amount of time on it.

That's sort of paradoxical.

As it is possible to move up an up escalator without walking forward, you are wrong. In all actuality, if you must remain in an upward motion to make it count, you walk on to the escalator forward, then take steps backward, slowly while riding it up. This makes it possible to touch every step on the escalator multiple times without stopping or moving in the wrong direction.
;)
It's your life, live it!
RB#684 "Corcho", ASK#60, Muff#3520, NCB#398, NHDZ#4, C-33989, DG#1

As it is possible to move up an up escalator without walking forward, you are wrong. In all actuality, if you must remain in an upward motion to make it count, you walk on to the escalator forward, then take steps backward, slowly while riding it up. This makes it possible to touch every step on the escalator multiple times without stopping or moving in the wrong direction.
;)

Ding ding ding! I think we have the winner! :D
"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

;)

Hey, nice one. I like it!

Ding ding ding! I think we have the winner!

Hey! I said it before he did! ;)

Still not making sense to me.

Besides the obvious fact that walking backwards is not "walking forwards slowly", there is something even more confusing.

The original statement mentioned spending the "least amount of time" on it (it being the escalator, I assume). How do either of the examples given (Jim, Chris) meet this criteria? They both describe spending a considerable amount of time on the escalator.
www.WingsuitPhotos.com

Ding ding ding! I think we have the winner!

Hey! I said it before he did! ;)

Still not making sense to me.

Besides the obvious fact that walking backwards is not "walking forwards slowly", there is something even more confusing.

The original statement mentioned spending the "least amount of time" on it (it being the escalator, I assume). How do either of the examples given (Jim, Chris) meet this criteria? They both describe spending a considerable amount of time on the escalator.

The original post:

The least amount of time on the escalator was his solution, not really criteria. The only criteria was that the persons motion had to be in the upward and forward directions.

The problem was: how can I touch the maximum amount of steps while moving up an escalator.

The alternative solution provided, while unrealistic, is technically accurate.

For Great Deals on Gear