DHolland

Wingloading and Canopy Question

It looks like I am going to buy an Omega 240 and i will have a WL of .88. I have 18 jumps and I have not jumped since last june. I have been dying to get recurrent and I figure i might as well invest in a rig instead of throwing away 35 bucks for rentals per jump. I know the omega is a 7 cell and is similar to a spectre. I figure .88 is a nice conservative wingloading for a beginner and i just wanted to hear everyones opinion on the Omega as a first rig considering the wingloading and my experience.
-Dennis

The Omega loaded that lightly (.88) will be a docile performing canopy. I have approx. 1800 jumps on Omegas at wing loadings of 1.2 and 1.4. At 1.2 it is a fairly docile canopy. The brake line stroke is quite long on the larger sizes. It also opens very slowly at lighter wing loadings (900-1200 ft. to open) so if you buy it make the first jump a very high pull so it doesn't surprise you.

Ya that is what I have heard, the current owner of the rig said that the first time he deployed the main he almost cut it away because it took so long to inflate. I will be taking a packing course in davis (skydance) shortly, is it psycho packing that helps the canopy inflate faster? Also does wing loading play a part in how quickly a canopy inflates.

I have been dying to get recurrent
----------------------------------------------------------
Ya so have I, looking into a clear blue sky knowing that I will not be up there on that beautiful days; damages my soul

I thought it would cost a ton of money to get recurrent but I talked to someone at the dropzone and he basically told me jumping is like riding a bike and with some instruction I should be in the sky in no time. I cant wait for my rig to arrive!

I'm a beginner to with only 50 jumps, i jumped as a student with a 230 solo and after 30 jumps a pilot 210. Now i have bought a 210 canopy at a wingload 1.2

According to Brian Germain (who has 13,000 jumps, designs parachutes, teaches canopy flight professionally) 160 jumps are minimum for you to be jumping that canopy and 260 are the recommendation. His chart suggests a 230 for you.

http://www.bigairsportz.com/pdf/bas-sizingchart.pdf

The 210 is not that much harder to land straight in than a 230 because at its trim airspeed it's only 5% faster.

One big problem is that without experience making low turns (that whole "no turns below x00 feet" you're taught as a student is unavoidable in situations you'll find yourself in) you're not unlikely to unintentionally accelerate it beyond trim speed when you turn to avoid some one who cuts you off in the landing pattern, land out and need to avoid a barbed wire fence you didn't see above 100 feet, or find yourself back at the DZ at 100 feet still flying down-wind. The smaller canopy will take less control input to do that, accelerate quicker, and accelerate longer creating much more speed and kinetic energy to deal with when things go wrong.

While other people are jumping much smaller parachutes, you still have more than enough to break yourself - about 8 times the kinetic energy it took me to join the titanium club with just 185 pounds under a 245 with a half-speed accuracy approach (1.36X from suspended weight, 1.6X from the wingloading speed increase, and 4X because I broke myself at half speed). I've attached the X-ray for your perusal.

You've got decades (perhaps 70 years if you're young) to jump smaller and faster parachutes. There's no need to rush things and plenty of reasons (swoop accuracy is largely about what you do above 1000' and that's easier to learn with more square footage, carving ground level turns are a lot less intimidating to learn when you have a bigger slower wing, and the larger canopy makes keeping your foot bone connected to your shin bone more likely because a disconnect stinks even when the pieces stay inside your skin).

.88 is a fine choice for a first wingloading.