fireflytx

I just finished redoing my website I need some constructive critisim

I just redid my website for 2 reasons. 1)I hated the frames layout before and wanted something a little more simple 2) THE C*CK SVCKING M&TH%R F&ck*rs that were hosting my site went out of business and lost all my info and kept my money for my subscription.

Anyway, I would like some constructive critisim on the layout. Please keep in mind, I want it simple and I am no websbite constructing master. In fact, I used Front page and I know that will make a bunch of you go UGGHH! but that is all I have a know to make a site. I am also not a writer so if anyone has any input on how to reword the intro paragraph that would be great also and I would like to add an intro paragraph to each section.

So here it is www.nocturnalcreationsonline.com

Thanks!
"Well behaved women rarely make history"

I like the font choice of the links and colors. Your costumes are awesome! My only thoughts:

As a lazy internet user, I think I'd prefer to have the links at the top of the page so I don't have to scroll, scroll, scroll to get to the bottom of the page.

The pages with a lot of pics loaded a little slowly. Usually when that happens, I just give up and close it. Maybe it's just my computer though.

A couple of the pictures looked like the quality wasn't that great, you can kind of see the pixels. I've had this happen when I tried to lighten pictures that were too dark. I don't know if that's what you did or if they can be fixed.
She is Da Man, and you better not mess with Da Man,
because she will lay some keepdown on you faster than, well, really fast. ~Billvon

Yeah...what skymama said.

At least one of your pics is a .BMP file. Save it as a .JPG like the rest - this should speed up the download time significantly.

It's kinda dark. Looks good, but dark. Dark purple font on a black background. I get it. But I would enhance the fonts just slightly...I don't know...like bold or more legible or something to make it more presentible yet still DARK. :)
Hot Chicks...hot costumes.

I think the clicks at the bottom are ok, it is a small enough home page to accomodate the layout. Any longer and I'd go to the top.

Peace.

over all look: Looks good to me, although I tend to go for a more whole graphic feel rather than an image with text. Look at some of the websites from www.resultswithstyle.com They build great websites. I get a lot of ideas from them.

links: It is a good idea to have text links in addition to image links. Look at my own websites below to see what I mean by that. Some people have trouble with image links, so I always include text links as well.

navigation: You were wise to stop using frames. They are a pain.

Color: Dark, but I believe that is what you want, and it fits with your websites feel. However, if they have older monitors the images may be very dark, almost too dark to read. You could offset the image links with some lighter shadow color. A program like Fireworks make that very easy.

steveOrino

All of your links are something like . Use relative links such as

On the resume page, some pictures cover a bit of the text. Might just be my browser (Safari 2.0.2)

Would like to see the links at the top of the page (I am also a lazy browser).

The persistent links (costumes, resume, etc...), although they have a black background, contrast ever-so-slightly against the background of the document ... makes it look kinda strange. Might think about embedding the font in your webpage?

I like the site:) Good job.
DZ.com Gems:
1) In a two-out situation, anything you do or don't do can make the situation better or worse.
2) Remember: high performance canopies can give you not only high performance openings, bu

So all the pics should be jpg and what size and resolution should the original picture be to look good

The size is great. The clarity works for all of them too. Take any that are .bmp, open them in a picture editor like paint or something, then save as a .jpg. This is kinda standard for web pages. The clarity will be the same as the others (will not sacrifice much at all), but from a me (internet user) standpoint, it will download to my screen much more quickly. A .BMP file that is 500K will go down to like 20K. It helps with browsing significantly.

And should I just lighten up the font? And leave the black background?

Black background just looks nice for the feel of the site. The fonts need a dress. More standing out. But don't get me wrong; your site looks rad.

I just looked again. You might want to think of framing some of those sections instead. Make it known what is a button and what is just a pic or a section to read. Very professional looking...I love the site. Very sexy too. ;)

Hey Kim

on the resume page I had text bleed over the graphics, I'm not sure how the FrontPage interface is, but most visitors will find it distracting.

I think you should size the image in Photoshop to fit the frame/table that you are placing it in, and use the "Save for web" feature. Even on a fast broadband some of those pictures took a long time to load.

The layout was very nice though and I (for one) loved the color scheme as it fit with the style of the site.

Very nice job.......

Peter

www.badfishfreefly.com
Pete Draper,

Just because my life plan is written on the back of a Hooter's Napkin, it's still a life plan.... right?

While certainly easier to read, the new color scheme is just not as cool as the other one (IMHO). Maybe less pink & more purple?
DZ.com Gems:
1) In a two-out situation, anything you do or don't do can make the situation better or worse.
2) Remember: high performance canopies can give you not only high performance openings, bu

Being that I dont know you, can I start by asking a few questions?

Who is the intended audience of this website? (friends, family, employers)

What are you trying to accomplish? (file and phot sharing or use it as a tool to market yourself)

I had this site up before but it was crap. And it gets me jobs for acting, modeling and fire dancing and performance.

Ok, well for some constructive criticism :)

The pictures that you've got hosted are amazing. They arent what you typically see on a day to day basis and really have alot of "WOW" factor to them! Fire eating, acting, skydiving, chicks. I mean, its pretty hard to top that, how much better can it get?

The site on the other hand... Let me point you in the right direction. The first thing that I noticed was the HUGE picture sizes. The first picture I clicked on was a 304kb, 1500x2400 pixel image. In the web page you've specified to render it as 267x372. Basically its cramming 10 lbs of shit into a 5 lb bag with all of the weight. The weight is what we see on our end to take forever to load. To combat this issue, use a photo editing software, adobe photoshop is a killer one, and scale the image itself down to 267x372. This will put you at a weight footprint of about 43kb or 14% of the original file size. Your viewers will see this as a HUGE increase in speed and will hold their interest.

The next big thing is to make sure that ALL of the links and images work. On the main page, whatever image is at the top center does not show up, I get the "Red X." The "portfolio" link does not work for me either.

And finally, I am sure you are already working on this, but the style needs to compliment the content. Right now we can see some of the content, but there is nothing that sets it apart from say, a light weight Microsoft Word document. For the acting stuff, maybe make the background look like a stage, and for the fire breathing/eating stuff maybe a cool carnival or city skyline background, something that looks like a party!

I dunno, I can help get you started if you'd like. I've got a decent collection of web page related resources as far as coding them goes. You might also try another Web Editor, I guess Adobe InDesign is supposed to be really good as well.

I think your site could be really kick ass with a little more time invested in making the content look like it belongs where its positioned. But as always the case, Rome wasnt built in a day ;)

Should you not own adobe photo shop or any of the other good progs to play with pic file resizing, try this free online one. Using it can allow you to keep the pic size you want while drastically reducing file size.

Reduced file size= reduced download time for viewers. Hope this is of some help.

http://www.jpegwizard.com

"About the Online JPEG Wizard Optimizer
The free JPEG Wizard Online Optimizer provides highly optimized JPEG compression. A few seconds after you submit your JPEG image, you will be e-mailed a link to a temporary web page with several optimized and/or "transformed" images including comparison data about size and download time for that image. The settings may be adjusted and we urge you to try various options as a learning experience."

"exit fast, fly smooth, dock soft and smile"
'nother james

Overall look and feel very nice.

On the resume page you have some text overlap on a couple of your pics just throw in a couple of breaks before the text and that should clear that up.

Put some text links on the bottom so the lazy people don't have to scroll back up.

Not dial up friendly. A smaller file format for those pics would fix that problem though.

I love those fire dancing pics.
Divot your source for all things Hillbilly.
Anvil Brother 84
SCR 14192