jloirsdaan

Help....Getting a Pilots License

Okay....not sure where to post this....but figured it'd be okay here.

I've wanted to get my pilots license since I was like 10. Just never had the money. Place I checked with back home was like $5000. I will have some money saved up when I get back and was wondering what to look for in a flight school? It'll have to be somewhere in OK (Texas if its a GOOD one).

Anyone got any suggestions....any pilots got some pointers? It'll be nice to actually check that one off of lifes "to do" list....I am very much looking forward to that. I've been trying to research it on the net....but suprisingly can't seem to find much. I figured theres gotta be a good many pilots lurking around here. Any info....tips...insight would be greatly appreciated.

Jordan

Go Fast, Dock Soft.

I do not yet have my license. I just started flying again, though, after about a year and a half off and am progressing pretty rapidly. It's almost like riding a bike (flame away).

What I can share w/ you from my observations are the following:

1.) Experiment with the planes at your flight school. Get up in a couple of different makes/models along the way. Don't try and do it on the cheap. I've flown Cessna 172s and 152s, Piper Cherokee 4s and I've even crashed in a Beechcraft Sundowner (I wasn't the PIC, but damn, was that an adventure). You're not going to just stick to one plane after you get your ticket, so you might as well experiment at first. You'll spend the same amount if not a little more, anyway. The only difference will be whether you spend it before or after getting your license.

2.) Expect to spend more. This will come with experimenting with other planes as well as just the general learning curve.

3.) Find a good instructor. Don't just go with the first one you're paired with the day you sign up. Check them out and figure out which one you work best with.

4.) Read, read, read. Get the FAR/AIM. Get a private pilot manual (like the Jeppesen, for example). Familiarize yourself with as much as possible and feasible before you get in the air. I don't mean maneuvers and actual flying as much as I mean radio communication, charts, etc.

You might also check out: http://www.studentpilot.com

Just my opinions. Good luck.
-C.

You may want to consider flying ultralights instead with the posiblility of converting to your PPL later on.

Im not sure what the rules are where you fly but over here down under it takes only 20 hours to get ultralight certified and these hours can be counted towards a PPL. on top of that, they are cheaper to fly and maintain (if you ever buy one), plus the performance on the later generation models can be better then older cessna 152-172 etc

Im currently flying a Jabiru - 100kt cruise, 44kt stall, 400mile range

Thanks. I'm a big aviation buff anyway. I fly R/C planes.....buy the Microsoft Flight Sims religiously....mess around on VATSIM (a internet based airtraffic control/flying sim) Plus I grew up flying with a friend of mine....well parents friend, but my friend now also. However....it wasn't until recently that I've even had the funds to go after it....so I've never seriously looked into it. Thanks for the website...I'll have to go and check it out. I have nothing but time most days....and like to research.

Jordan

Go Fast, Dock Soft.

To me the hardest part of flying (and getting licensed to do so) had very little to do with flying the plane. Fortunately I'm good at math and geometry and have a scientific mind, so navigation and theory of flight came without too much effort. Learning the law, the lingo, communications protocols, and getting the sight picture in my mind were challenges.

There is a reason, several actually, that pilots learn in trainers. They are placarded for the maneuvers, inexpensive to operate, uncomplicated mechanically, and are relatively safe. There are different kinds of planes, but learning to fly in a complex aircraft isn't a good idea - like learning to jump with a high performance canopy - it comes in time and if you like it and stick with it and want to do it you'll get the chance.

When I was 24 I walked into our local FBO, plopped down the $1200 they said it would cost to learn to fly, and three months later flew my wife to Rexburg for a $40 dollar hamburger to celebrate my license.

If you are dealing with a small FBO/school and willing to pay up front you may be able to strike a deal with them for a flat fee for the school and instructions and minimum of flight hours required for the license and just pay for aircraft rental if you need a few extra hours of flight time. You can save a few bucks by planning the minimum duration cross country flights instead of enjoying longer ones - but then if you love to fly and have the bucks - what the hell, learning can be fun.

---------------------------------------------
Every day is a bonus - every night is an adventure.

I am a student pilot. Definitely check out www.beapilot.com for information on flight schools. You can get a free six month subscription to the American Owners and Pilots Association’s (AOPA) magazine “Flight Training”. They are at www.aopa.org There are some good articles in the magazine on the maneuvers you will be taught.

You can pay as you go so you do not have to pay a lot of money right up front. Good luck and remember…more right rudder.

***When I was 24 I walked into our local FBO, plopped down the $1200 they said it would cost to learn to fly, and three months later flew my wife to Rexburg for a $40 dollar hamburger to celebrate my license. ***

I was making reference to his comments...must have been in the days of chep AV gas :P:D.

Jordan

Go Fast, Dock Soft.

1.) Experiment with the planes at your flight school. Get up in a couple of different makes/models along the way. Don't try and do it on the cheap. I've flown Cessna 172s and 152s, Piper Cherokee 4s and I've even crashed in a Beechcraft Sundowner (I wasn't the PIC, but damn, was that an adventure). You're not going to just stick to one plane after you get your ticket, so you might as well experiment at first. You'll spend the same amount if not a little more, anyway. The only difference will be whether you spend it before or after getting your license.

I have to disagree mildly. During my training, I predominantly flew 152's because they were cheaper per hour. I made the occational forray into 172s, cherokees, etc and they were nice. I just didnt think they were worth the extra $$ per hour. I got the same instruction in each plane. Yeah, I didnt get as far when we flew, but since we do it based on the hour not the mile, it didnt really matter. In some respects it helped.

I would say that it really is 100% up to you. if you prefer 172s, go for it. if you want to save some cash, go for the cheaper planes. either way, one wont make you any better of a pilot overall... maybe one would make you a more physically comfy person, but not a better pilot.

Actually, if you choose the cheaper, lesser equipped plane, some would argue that you would be a more skilled pilot. It would force you to be more proficient if you have to do more stuff without bells and whistles in ultra groovy avionics. I am VERY glad all I had to work with were the basics, because I didnt feel as reliant on them.

my other tip, if you are here in the states, when you get your ticket, participate in the wings program. it requires a couple hours of refresher instruction per year and a seminar or two, but if you do that every year, you arent required to do your BFR. Well, at least thats the way it was 5 years ago when I stopped flying. Skydiving just took too much cash to be wasting it on flying around. And besides, what would you prefer? 3 hours of relaxed refresher instruction (with YOUR instructor) learning cool new tricks, or several hours with an FAA examiner that is looking for a PASS/FAIL flight?
Two wrongs don't make a right, however three lefts DO!

Mild disagreement noted and well written.

My point on the difference in planes is not for the groovy avionics, bells and whistles, extra range, etc. as much as it is for exploring other planes at a time when you're more impressionable and less likely to get set on one particular make/model.

My point on some of the larger planes is more about capacity than capability. Face it...once you're licensed, you're likely to be ferrying more people and gear around when you fly. As such, it might help to have more experience in that larger plane.

Just my opinion, though and I don't think either one of ours makes the other one's wrong.

-C.

so true. As I reflect on your reply, I realize I did exactly what you were originally intending in your post. I tried out several planes, but just happened to always go back to the cheap side. Usually it was because all the 152s were up or in the shop at that moment and I just wanted SOMETHING with wings.]

In the end, I wound up with a little bit of experience in all of the most common airframes.
Two wrongs don't make a right, however three lefts DO!

Thanks guys....I like reading all the information I can get. Funny thing is I grew up flying in tail draggers. I actually was going to start taking lessons in a Champ. Not sure who makes that plane. Kind of like a Piper Cub or something. But rode lots in a 1929 Stearman and a Pitts. So I'm all about trying different planes....however I can see the benefit of trying different makes...then sticking with one whilst learning. Thanks again.

Jordan

Go Fast, Dock Soft.

My tip to save money and time: STUDY STUDY STUDY before your flight lesson.

If your flight school does not have a very detailed and specific curriculum, than talk with your instructor about what your strengths and weaknesses are and what you will be doing before next lesson. If you know the material before the flight, your concentration will be where it matters.

Another thing: wait until you have a long period of time off of school or work. Vacation time, sick days, whatever. (This works even better if it's during a time when the weather is calm and predictable.) If you fly here and there once a week or have to skip a week because of work, I guarentee it will take a huge percentage more hours in the plane then if you fly four days a week without having to worry about homework or paperwork.

Good luck! :)

Thanks. I'm a big aviation buff anyway. I fly R/C planes.....buy the Microsoft Flight Sims religiously....mess around on VATSIM (a internet based airtraffic control/flying sim) Plus I grew up flying with a friend of mine....well parents friend, but my friend now also. However....it wasn't until recently that I've even had the funds to go after it....so I've never seriously looked into it. Thanks for the website...I'll have to go and check it out. I have nothing but time most days....and like to research.

Flying RC planes is very good experience, I found. I was exactly 4 weeks from 1st lesson to PP ASEL license.

The reverse is definitely not true. Pilots make lousy R/C students because they think they know it all and get a big surprise the first time the plane comes towards them.

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

***When I was 24 I walked into our local FBO, plopped down the $1200 they said it would cost to learn to fly, and three months later flew my wife to Rexburg for a $40 dollar hamburger to celebrate my license. ***

I was making reference to his comments...must have been in the days of chep AV gas :P:D.

So if the relation remains the same a $40 hamburger = $150 hamburger now.....the $1200 he paid for his training would now = $4,500! :o

ltdiver

Don't tell me the sky's the limit when there are footprints on the moon

Lets get the monetary units right. 1 amu = 1 aviation monetary unit = $1,000

Most things in aviation come in convenient quantities of amus.

So flight training to get a PPL these days is likely to cost 4amu or thereabouts. The aviation hamburger is around 0.1 amu

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

Lets get the monetary units right. 1 amu = 1 aviation monetary unit = $1,000

Most things in aviation come in convenient quantities of amus.

So flight training to get a PPL these days is likely to cost 4amu or thereabouts. The aviation hamburger is around 0.1 amu

HA! So my figures were correct then! :D

ltdiver

Don't tell me the sky's the limit when there are footprints on the moon