smiles

furnace help please!

Last thing I want to do right now is phone for home visit ($$$$$$shitz)
[:/][:/][:/]

thermostat is on upstairs and reading 13.5-
got the "cold" blues.

Furnace pilot light is out-
Never had this happen before, furnace is approx. 20 yrs. old, (bought house 3 yrs. ago) had furnace checked over last year and it passed!

So- shut it off, wait 5 min. turn knob to pilot and push down, hold down for a minute, light pilot valve and wait till flame burning good (before match burns me fingers).........turn knob to On, and pilot goes out.

so repeat- waiting 5 min. on off/
tried this 10x- give up

The fan works fine, hot water heater works fine.

-time to put another pair of socks on & another sweater!!

SMiles;)
eustress. : a positive form of stress having a beneficial effect on health, motivation, performance, and emotional well-being.

suggestion: instead of using matches, use one of those long-stem lighters.... no chance of burning your fingers there.

i would give lighting it a second try, maybe even a third.

if you still have problems, you might have a bad thermocouple. That's just a fancy name for a heat-sensitive switch that allows the gas to flow while the pilot is lit.

Good luck.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Mine works like this:

Shut it off, wait 5 min.
Turn gas flow On
Turn knob to pilot
Push down pilot button
Light pilot while holding button
Continue olding button down for one minute
Release button
Turn knob to On

Haven't blown myself up....so far....

get a pro...
My reality and yours are quite different.
I think we're all Bozos on this bus.
Falcon5232, SCS8170, SCSA353, POPS9398, DS239

Guest 1010
My gas company here will come to the house once a year for free to inspect stuff, light pilot lights, etc. Might be worth a call. ;)

You can have it good, fast, or cheap: pick two.

:P
hey, you gave me hope!

Have tried with turning from off to on first- then pilot, following your steps............
continue holding down for 1 min.

Pilot goes out when knob switched to on.
Will keep trying-
and then start looking for a thermocouple and try to replace that..........

thanx!
SMiles;)
eustress. : a positive form of stress having a beneficial effect on health, motivation, performance, and emotional well-being.

good luck brutha, don't get blowd up.

hey, I be a freezin sista-
who don't wanna git blowd up!

SMiles;)

if you still have problems, you might have a bad thermocouple. That's just a fancy name for a heat-sensitive switch that allows the gas to flow while the pilot is lit.

I'd bet a dozen pack jobs that it is the thermocouple. They are a common failure item. Take all the information off the data plate, go to a hardware store and get one. Then, go home and find the part that looks like the one in your hand and replace it.

Peace,
-Dawson.
http://www.SansSuit.com
The Society for the Advancement of Naked Skydiving

I do HVAC work for a living. I'd have to disagree with the thermocouple theory. A bad thermocouple typically would not let the pilot stay lit when you let go of the "button" My guess is, it's tha gas valve itself. Personally, I'd try the thermocouple route first though, very easy to do and inexpensive, relatively safe too. You never know when you might get lucky!

Ganja

Am i the only one who thinks it may be a better idea to get someone who knows what they're talking about to have a look? :D

Theres got to be someone who knows a bit about maintenance etc down at the DZ... tempt them with beer....

Saves losing body parts if it all goes wrong!!
Phoenix Fly - High performance wingsuits for skydiving and BASE
Performance Designs - Simply brilliant canopies

"Pilot goes out when knob switched to on. "

Most likely it's a thermocouple , since you said pilot stays on untill you turn it to on position. Home depot carry some standard thermocouple. Or try cleaning the old one be careful not to damage it. Some times if the flame is not directly pointing at the thermocouple that might be an issue also. Top part of thermocouple should be about 1 inch in the flame. If that does not work call a tech better then blowing up your house. Good luck

....:)A first timer is out skydiving and as he is falling, he becomes unsure of how to pull the ripcord.....:o[:/]
And suddenly as he is passing through 6,000 feet he looks over and there is this other guy flying UP and past him....:S:o:).
So the skydiver yells over, "hey,, do you know anything about Parachutes !! ?? " and the other guy yells.... " NO.. but do YOU know anything
about Gas Furnaces!!!!!??????" hahahahahahaha:ph34r:..... good luck ................jmy

Am i the only one who thinks it may be a better idea to get someone who knows what they're talking about to have a look?

Hey, got some great info here in replies!

Are you implying these dudes do not know what they are talking about??

I just removed the thermocouple thingy!
Furnace was off/ gas off/ no harm of blowd up.

Heading down to home depo to buy a new one rather than pay gas guy to make a home visit.
No harm in trying....
if it works I will owe all here a beer!

If it doesn't work I will call the gas guy and depending on cost will most likely look into purchasing a new energy efficient furnace rather than spend money on anything else. (just going without gas bill and heat till next winter will enable me to save!) Cannot whine about freezin as we have had total mild winter (think it's over!)

My d.z. is off season right now, missing out as could be at skydive auckland practising for NZ nationals at skydive Bay Of Islands (one day!) or Hawaii, or Eloy, or Mazatlan ect.......:P

SMiles;)

Big thanx & hug &
:D :D :D :D :D for all!!
B|B|B|

I have heat!

Replace the thermocouple thingy and she fired up like a dream!! Ahhhhh!
gotta luv heat!!
Who would have thought I would get the help I needed at dz.com.......???
Saved me $$$$$$ for sure.
:P:P:P

SMiles;)