Unstable

Astra AAD - Revisited

Hey Gang,

I know that this subject has been beaten to a bloody pulp, so without getting into the "which AAD is better?" I want to discuss a few practical points about the Astra AAD and it's future.

A few weeks ago, when I ordered my new Argus, I was talking with the Dealer about how many Argus's and Vigils he's sold. Pretty impressive numbers actually, especially when compared to the sales of Cypres.

For a long time time, I, as well as probably many of us with Cypres's maintenance program and the $ involved - and the Astra never really made it as a viable alternative. Now, with the acceptance of the Argus and Vigil, I wonder what is the future of the Astra?

Is it even profitable for FXC to manufacture them?

Do they have a military contract?

Do they even make them anymore?

Can anybody think of a reason one would buy one?!
=========Shaun ==========

Shaun
I had an astra for years, I liked the thing but having to turn it off after each jump was a hassel that I did not like. outside of that they seemed to be built well and that appealed to me as well, the batteries where cheaper and not having to send it in every 4 years was nice as well.. now I am wondering why I sold the thing or why I purchased the cypress I have now.. well my cypress will for some unkonw reason be junk in 4 years.
I will review whats on the market at that time and go from there.. good questions about the astra though!
www.greenboxphotography.com

Cool, thanks for the Info JD. If you go to their Website, Here, you'll see they haven't had any new news since 1997.

I liked the Astra too. I've never had one, but I've packed a few. I like it because it seems rugged, not a flimsy plastic box like a Cypres.

Does anyone know if FXC is even moving these units anymore?
=========Shaun ==========

http://www.dropzone.com/cgi-bin/forum/gforum.cgi?post=452588#452588

The thread referenced above tells you all you need to know (especially my posts )

This is a sore point for me. FXC should have been able to do so much better. At the time I was buying ('02), I really wanted to convince myself that it was a viable alternative - but it was not to be.
People are sick and tired of being told that ordinary and decent people are fed up in this country with being sick and tired. I’m certainly not, and I’m sick and tired of being told that I am