usmc03

Sabre 2 vs stilleto vs Silhouette

If you're already jumping a Sabre2, then you probably wouldn't enjoy a Silhotte all that much. Its a great canopy and it has its place, but you'll feel like you're moving backwards in performance.

The stiletto is a great canopy, but I really don't recommend one at your jump numbers. Basically if for no other reason then its much more sensitive to body position on opening then anything you've jumped so far. That and it reacts much wilder to those uneven openings than anything else you've experienced. Its also super easy to get in trouble with when you're not landing exactly as planned in the middle of the landing area with perfect winds.

The Sabre2 is my favorite mid-performance canopy. Its also my favorite all around canopy. It can do just about anything you ask it to do. If you want to go on to learn how to swoop the Sabre2 steps nicely into the Katana which steps nicely into the Velocity. Funny how the company did that.;)

Then again, my opinion of PD products is skewed by some standards so please demo everything that is appropriate for your jump numbers. Demo PD stuff, Icarus stuff, Aerodyne stuff, etc. Its worth demoing around. I believe that you'll come back to PD's canopies for many reasons, but prove it to yourself.:)

Very informative and constructive post. I wish they were all like that.
I promise not to break any rules.

You are getting some great information (and some not) from this thread. Aggie Dave had a good perspective.

I would strongly recommend that you contact the guys at PD. No one knows their canopies better than they. And they really do want to help you get the most out of your canopy.

If you've never contacted them for help or advice you'll be surprised how much time and energy they will spend with you.

I'm especially partial to Nick in the marketing department. Nick is a PD tour rep and he really knows his stuff and he has put tons of jumps on all the canopies. If you really want the best advice give him a call. He loves to talk to new jumpers.

His direct number is (386) 344-9486
Be Safe
Be the canopy pilot you want that other guy to be.

I've got 700 jumps on various Sabre 2's, and I've never had a hard opening.

Learn to pack, and learn to deploy at the correct airspeed.

I've got 350 jumps on 4 different SAbre2 of 3 differents sizes and deploy at the correct airspeed. Most of the openings were off-heading, 20% serverly (360° or even more), 5% were instant openings with subsequent trip to a doctor (3 last year). Those canopies have been packed by me but also by packers or even riggers with no discernable differences.

Since 100 jump I switched to a Safire II, never changed my packing method and strangely there has been no hard opening and the heading have improved a lot!!!

I'll say it, because I haven't seen it enough in this thread.

THIS IS THE CANOPY POLICE.

I hope you weight is less than around 160 lbs.
And you can flare-turn and flat-turn and do all the other things on BillVon's List on your 170.
And you are really looking to increase your canopy speed, forward, down, turning and diving, and the associated risks in flying and landing your canopy.

Nothing really wrong with your choice of a Sabre 2. Not sure you should be flying a 150 yet.

Be careful, be safe, have fun. Continue to have fun.
Johan.
I am. I think.

Lets focus on the question and not bash other DZ's. Lets all move pass the Chicago skydive comment!!

What is that supposed to mean?

I learned at Skydive Chicago. They do use Sabre 2 as the student canopy. People there do successfully transition to high performance canopies with lower jump numbers than most other places. I was jumping a 150 before I had 25 jumps.

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.