kirrz

Video Production - editing tips?!

My summer job @ the moment is to create a prospectus DVD for a school from scratch. This means I have to do everything from scripting to filming to editing.

I've only really done documentary type stuff with really boring edits (fades, dissolves, cuts). I've decided I want to be a bit experimental with this video (it's been approved). I was wondering if any of you guys could share some cool editing tips/ effects that I might be able to use. I'm using Adobe Premiere but even if you just describe the effect, I could figure out how to do it.

So far I have stuff like quick freeze frame cuts to show someone going from one place to another, have someone running - freeze them to show something in the background (ie. a trophy cabinet) - unfreeze then and resume the scene..

Any help would be greatly appreciated!! Thanks!!

Um. The best trick: be invisible.

If someone thinks 'oo cool editing' then you just devalued the content.

If you're looking for interesting transitions check out SpiceMaster products (I think they're called).

Play with generating custom masks in any graphics editor (basic alpha channel masks) and keyframe them for a cheap method of the same.

Stay invisible, overusing cool transitions and jump cuts does nothing but confuse the viewer and make the production look cheesy and cheap, especially if you're not experienced enough to know the right time to use those sorts of effects.

If a noticable transition - highlighting the end of a subject, emphasizing the voice over - is required then even the most simple visual cue will look professional and will be effective.

Just my 2c

TV's got them images, TV's got them all, nothing's shocking.

I've decided I want to be a bit experimental with this video

One of the biggest detractors from a good video is the hardware located between the chair and the keyboard of the editing machine. The overuse and dependence on "special effects" and flashy transitions shouldn't override the content. It's one of the most common mistakes or pitfalls those new to editting have. Good editting should be seamless and the viewer shouldn't notice a change, it should be like most shows on TV and in movies, transparent to the viewer. A very wise man once told me that "editting is the art of subtraction".

Even though your goal is to use special effects, remind yourself not to go overboard with them, less is more. You don't want to end up with a video of special effects with short clips of footage in it. Choose the special effect you want to use carefully and use it sparingly and in the right place and it will have more impact than if you had a video full of special effects.

Give the Photo and video forum a quick search and you will find some more good tips, especially on how to make some of those special effects work best in premiere.
"It's just skydiving..additional drama is not required"
Some people dream about flying, I live my dream
SKYMONKEY PUBLISHING

The overuse and dependence on "special effects" and flashy transitions shouldn't override the content.

Scott, you just hit the nail on the head why the James Bond series of movies SUCK now compared to the first few and a couple with Roger Moore.
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

Thanks guys for your feedback! Great stuff for me to think about..

I'll explain a bit.. I'm diverting from a voiceover - layover footage format. Instead I'm doing a sort of 'a day in the life' type thing.. it's a voyeuristic view of a day at school. It's got a few 30 second scripted scenes using students (but to look completely spontaneous) in different locations. I wanted to do something creative to link each location. But you're right.. it could just be overkill.

My next question is.. if I do use some crafty editing very sparingly through the video, does it still work? With editing, do you think it is an all or nothing? Like does the whole thing have to conform to the style of the few cool edits? Or is it possible to have a piece that is relatively normal and just put a few cool things here and there - and have it work?

What Scott said.

flashy editig sucks in my opinion. You dont want anyone watching the movie to see how you edited it. you want them on the edge of their seats, watching the MOVIE.

editing is a thankless job, and should stay that way.
I've spent hundreds of hours edited video ( becuase I have NO IDEA what I'm doing yet) ona video that hsould only have taken about 80 hours. in the long run It looks like an 80-hour edited movie (skydiving movies no real plot).

next year I could do that same project in about 60 hours. butI will still be learning new things to do to make the video better with out seeing my finger prints all over it.

there is one scene that took me 16 hours to edit...I was trying to figure out WTF key framing was. Now, I can do that same task in 5 minutes. but the video didnt suffer from it. I DID!

so My point is, don't try to show off, try not to show up!;)
My photos

My Videos

My summer job @ the moment is to create a prospectus DVD for a school from scratch. This means I have to do everything from scripting to filming to editing.

I've only really done documentary type stuff with really boring edits (fades, dissolves, cuts). I've decided I want to be a bit experimental with this video (it's been approved). I was wondering if any of you guys could share some cool editing tips/ effects that I might be able to use. I'm using Adobe Premiere but even if you just describe the effect, I could figure out how to do it.

So far I have stuff like quick freeze frame cuts to show someone going from one place to another, have someone running - freeze them to show something in the background (ie. a trophy cabinet) - unfreeze then and resume the scene..

There are pretty of film and video professionals here who can help you. I used to do a lot of industrial films before making a fairly week attempt at feature film career.

Generally, the less obvious cuts you can use the better. I have Premiere Pro and After Effects, and I seldom use any transition other than a direct cut or a cross dissolve. A good cut should be seamless and unnoticeable. That's a rule for narrative filmmaking (i.e. features), but I find it proves true for industrials, etc. If you're looking for some cool, simple effects to do, try some things like ghost effects (not that lame ghost filter). Either before or after you shoot footage of people walking around campus or whatever, shoot a background plate (without moving or even touching the camera) of that same area (the background) without anybody there. Then overlay the background plate over the footage of the people walking, and lower the opacity of the background footage to like 50%-75% (play with it until you find what works). You'll get a great effect that looks like ghosts walking across the campus. It can be used to great effect to emphasize the timelessness of some place or activity (think Titanic). Be sure you overlay the background over the footage of the people and not the other way around. Some times the people will appear to have hard outlines if you do it the other way.

Good luck with your project.
I don't have an M.D. or a law degree. I have bachelor's in kicking ass and taking names.

If you just can't stop yourself from using some "flashy" editing techniques, save them for the title sequence. That way you can "show off" all the cool things that you can do and then show off even more your restraint in not using them in the body of the video. :)
-----
"People often say that this or that person has not yet found himself. But, the self is not something that one finds. It is something that one creates"- Thomas Szasz

"This means I have to do everything from scripting to filming to editing."

You could spend hours playing with transitions, I have!;)

But for this project you should focus on getting the overall quality of the production right. Scripting and directing the filming should take up, most of your time, getting the 'format' of the DVD and its menu system right should be your next agenda, finally, cutting the whole lot together should probably not involve anything more than a cut and a cross fade (fast cross fades at that!). Maybe alpha channel wipes or rolls for credits.

You may be to include things like picture in picture, commentary, animated graphics of statistics etc. These are a decent challenge in Premiere, if you are after a challenge.

The DVD could include bios of the key staff, application paperwork, loads of stuff that may not necessarily be video orientated, the disc could be so much more than a vehicle for video, it depends on your project brief....

If you want to do some really funky transitions etc, I don't think a college prospectus is the right place.

If you want to get funky do some pop videos or some skydiving vids.:)
IMHO funky transitions look cheesy really quickly, especially if overused, someone mentioned 'ghosting' which would be appropriate, as would some time lapse, maybe showing a busy campus etc.

Overall, my advice would be to story board the video section, all the way down to the type of effects, timing of cuts to commentary etc, then film to suit, then edit. Try and watch a good example of what you are trying to achieve and pinch the ideas from that.;)
--------------------

He who receives an idea from me, receives instruction himself without lessening mine; as he who lights his taper at mine, receives light without darkening me. Thomas Jefferson

IMHO the place for cool special effects is in a trailor or the intro - 15-30 seconds. You can try for that cool look there and it gets everyone's attention. After that it needs to be "invisble" as so many said. But don't be arfaid to do some cool editing with the title and first 20-30 seconds to get their attention. B| JMHO

steveOrino

[email]

There are pretty of film and video professionals here who can help you. I used to do a lot of industrial films before making a fairly week attempt at feature film career.

Generally, the less obvious cuts you can use the better. I have Premiere Pro and After Effects, and I seldom use any transition other than a direct cut or a cross dissolve. A good cut should be seamless and unnoticeable. That's a rule for narrative filmmaking (i.e. features), but I find it proves true for industrials, etc. If you're looking for some cool, simple effects to do, try some things like ghost effects (not that lame ghost filter). Either before or after you shoot footage of people walking around campus or whatever, shoot a background plate (without moving or even touching the camera) of that same area (the background) without anybody there. Then overlay the background plate over the footage of the people walking, and lower the opacity of the background footage to like 50%-75% (play with it until you find what works). You'll get a great effect that looks like ghosts walking across the campus. It can be used to great effect to emphasize the timelessness of some place or activity (think Titanic). Be sure you overlay the background over the footage of the people and not the other way around. Some times the people will appear to have hard outlines if you do it the other way.

Good luck with your project.

I don't know how my spellchecker changed "plenty" to "pretty," but I promise I was sober when I typed that.
I don't have an M.D. or a law degree. I have bachelor's in kicking ass and taking names.

If you just can't stop yourself from using some "flashy" editing techniques, save them for the title sequence. That way you can "show off" all the cool things that you can do and then show off even more your restraint in not using them in the body of the video. :)
-----

There are now several companies that JUST do title sequences for movies (mostly CGI). It's become big business.