ccowden

She should go to jail for this shit!

I wouldn't really rely on either side telling the full truth here.

You're probably right but the situation is still very sad on her part especially since she was on the PCH, a very busy road with a lot of traffic. In the very least, the bodyguard should have gotten in the back seat and she should have handed the baby off to him to get him in his car seat while she was driving. Since she was "escaping" the paparazzi, I'm sure she wasn't exactly driving slowly either.
She is Da Man, and you better not mess with Da Man,
because she will lay some keepdown on you faster than, well, really fast. ~Billvon

The best part about this? The paparazi made media out of their efforts - thus driving up the cost of these pics. The media frenzy and those jumping up about this story have just been played. The reaction these stories get only further their motivation and will help push them over the line the next time.

This part should be repeated.

Not just repeated either, but actually re-read too ;)

My Karma ran over my Dogma!!!

I wouldn't really rely on either side telling the full truth here.

You're probably right but the situation is still very sad on her part especially since she was on the PCH, a very busy road with a lot of traffic. In the very least, the bodyguard should have gotten in the back seat and she should have handed the baby off to him to get him in his car seat while she was driving. Since she was "escaping" the paparazzi, I'm sure she wasn't exactly driving slowly either.

I agree - could have been handled better by her.

And if she was speeding down the PCH, these media were giving chase only making the situation worse for her and anyone else on the PCH. Hmmm...I wonder where we have seen a car crash like this before?

Yeah but the bodyguard was busy holding her coffee! There was simply no time to get that kid in the seat! She and her bodyguard did the only thing they could do under these life-threatening circumstances!:S

I'm not saying she was smart about it Chris. How do you think your wife would react if men intent on making money approached her and your child in a crowd and then gave chase on the highway? How do you think you would react?

If my wife was parked outside Starbucks while I was inside getting coffee and when I came out there were people with cameras at the window taking pictures, I would probably tell her to keep the doors locked and get the kid in his seat. Then I would either confront the camera guys or get in the car and call the police, IF I really felt threatened. And IF there was simply no time for any of that and we needed to speed off because my wife and baby were truly in danger, I would have told her to drive while I crawled in back to get him in his seat.

What I would NOT do is sit in the front seat and leave my kid in her lap during a "car chase."

And this ALL assumes that there was a REAL threat to our safety.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but it doesn't look like that car is going very fast. It almost looks...stopped.

It also looks like the guy with her is talking on the phone.

I always put my daughter in a car seat and strapped the car seat in, but when I was a child, we didn't even have seatbelts, much less shoulder harnesses.

And when seatbelts did finally come along, no one wore them.

It's interesting how the culture and the thinking evolve.

rl
If you don't know where you're going, you should know where you came from. Gullah Proverb

I think I have a solution. Why dont we put birth control in all drinking water, and to have a child you would have to go somewhere and take some type of test, to see if you are smart enough to raise a child. I am very confindent this would eliminate about 44.3% of people who just...breed. ;)

Correct me if I'm wrong, but it doesn't look like that car is going very fast. It almost looks...stopped.

I always put my daughter in a car seat and strapped the car seat in, but when I was a child, we didn't even have seatbelts, much less shoulder harnesses.

rl

I agree - I remember in 1980 sitting in the front seat of my mom's 1972 LeMans without a seatbelt holding my baby sister.

I'm more interested in how the culture is now programmed to react to a story like this and are quick to place blame on only her and not the media.

Yes, it is interesting how the thinking evolves, or doesn't evolve in some matters.

The evolution of thinking along the lines of safety and coming up with safer vehicles and seats for children to ride in, is a good thing. I hope you are not arguing that it is ok because of what we "used" to do.

what rhonda said..

when I was a little kid our parents would just put us in the back of the station wagon with a bunch of blankets & a few pillows. somehow we survived.

I guess everyone should have gone to jail back then.:S
Speed Racer
--------------------------------------------------

Yeah, and I remember 10 of us climbing into the back of a pick up and riding that way to a baseball game. Big deal. THAT was stupid. Through evolution of learning, we realize how stupid it was and make changes.

Then again, it sounds like some people don't learn a thing.

Yes, it is interesting how the thinking evolves, or doesn't evolve in some matters.

The evolution of thinking along the lines of safety and coming up with safer vehicles and seats for children to ride in, is a good thing. I hope you are not arguing that it is ok because of what we "used" to do.

I'm sure we can find something more fun to debate than BS, Chris. Did you miss the part about me always belting my daughter in?

I was merely offering historical social commentary, as well as a couple of factual pieces of information about the picture itself.

How far did they actually go with the baby unbelted?

rl
If you don't know where you're going, you should know where you came from. Gullah Proverb

Then again, it sounds like some people don't learn a thing.

I drive a car with a good safety record, airbags, ALB, etc. My backseat has been a place for carseats as well. Personally speaking, I trust them as much as I trust my AAD, so I drive as if I don't have them. I'm glad I wear mine as I have needed when I was hit by a drunk.

However a short drive to safety away from idiots is not the end of the world disaster people are making it out to be. Nor does it discard 20 years worth of car safety information.

What we as a culture haven't learned from and continue to make mistakes with is the media. The trash magazines and tabloids still sell. Somehow this story is BREAKING news that actually came before Iraq war coverage this morning!!!

This isn't news, this is trash as are all the people involved in it. The daily doings of Britney Spears should have no emotional effect on your life unless she is a close friend or hated enemy. This is sensationalized junk meant to gain your viewership so someone can make money. Reacting to this is the same as bitting on a forum troll hook.

I'm more in shock that this stupid stupid story even made the news.

Well, I don't know about "factual."

But anyway, they went 2 miles down the Pacific Coast Highway.

Well, maybe not factual. After all, I could be hallucinating what I see in the picture.

But they drove two miles to get away from people who were harrassing them?

Tell you what. Stalking is stalking, whether you're a regular person or a celebrity. Somehow, I just can't get upset with her, and in her shoes, I'd probably have done the same.

rl

Oh just stop! You repeatedly stating that she was in danger and needed to drive to safety is adding to the hype of the story as much as anything. The ONLY proof we have of anything is that she drove with the kid in her lap and there was a guy in the front seat who is making no attempt to get the kid buckled in.

She was parked outside Starbucks in the middle of the day and obviously was safe in her car. So what is the worst that would happen if she buckled the kid in? An extra picture being taken?

What she did was stupid and irresponsible and there is no excuse for it unless they were trying to kill her, which I think we can agree they were not. And no one can MAKE you drive fast to get in a car chase. They obviously get the pictures no matter if you run or not. Big deal.

The pictures are proof that she was being followed. She was alone at the moment with her child - and there has been news stories in the past of people stalking her. How was she to know what their intentions were? In a perfect world she would have never done this and in a perfect world her privacy during her free time would not be invaded. You claim "obviously safe in her car." Where is that obvious? Going to believe the vultures that stalked her? Or are you going to believe her publicist trying to spin this into something good? Everything around this is suspect.

Again, your negative reaction to this is exactly what they wanted. You've been played by the media.

Why in the world are you getting upset over this person you have never met, and most likely never will meet? I doubt this will have any impact on the lives of 99.9% of the people going nuts over this story. It's just something to complain about. I'd rather complain about poor officiating in the Super Bowl :P

Nothing would have changed if she simply put the kid in the seat. It's that simple.

Nothing would have happened if she wasn't approached by the media. It's that simple.

Photographers caught Britney Spears driving down the highway with her 3 month old kid sitting in her lap!

What an ass!

that cunt and her husband need to go skydiving with one of the newest rigs around...The slim line one that says peligro on the back!!! it's very fashionable and weighs nearly nothing and won't make her fat ass look bigger!

oh and it doesn't have those ugly pull handles that look like a hackeysack!

Rumor has it she is banging the bodyguard on the side when Kfed isnt around. This is apparently happening quite often because kfed is out promoting his new rap single and isnt home that often. Some sources even claim she is giving the bodyguard a handjob in this picture while she is racing down the road with her kid in her lap. I dont know if I buy that, seems a little far fetched, but you just never know! Rumor also has it that Jessica Simpson was in the backseat of the SUV giving a blowjob to the singer of Maroon 5 while all this was going down. This shits outta control people!!!

rl

What's really funny to me is how thinking regarding AADs has changed. There are people who absolutely refuse to skydive without an AAD. I understand where they are coming from, at least the ones who are young in the sport, and I respect their choices. I can't help but quietly laugh, though, because they seem to not realize that modern AADs have not always been around and that many have spent their entire skydivng career without an AAD. Oops, for the old timers, I guess I should have said "AOD".

(Did I violate the rules by talking about skydiving?)

Walt