warpedskydiver

Engagement Ring

I'm with Walt on this.

Here's the thing- If the girl breaks off the engagement, she really should return the ring, but unless its a family heirloom, ASKING for it back is petty, especially since you say money isn't the issue. You're stooping to her level- why? What exactly are you planning to do with it? If you pawn or sell it, you'll only get a fraction of its worth, and no other girlfriend or fiancee is going to want a "used" engagement ring or stone with that much baggage attached to it. If you hang on to it, you are hanging on to a piece of her. If she's as bad as you say, why? You won't be able to move on with your life until you let go of her. Don't you want to move on?

Did I say anwhere that I asked for it back?....NOOOOO did I say she called out of the blue to announce that ?...YES!!!

Well, first of all, my comment about returning it being the right thing to do but asking for it back is petty is just my general feeling about the question. (that was the topic of your poll, right? :P) I didn't say YOU were tacky. But I still think you need to ask yourself why its so important to you since obviously it is.

She is very beautiful and has some very good qualities...all embodied in a hateful very explosive personality.

No matter how good they look,somebody somewhere is sick of their shit.:D

GD, No Shit...........I can relate to that.:D:D[:/]:|

"Some call it heavenly in it's brilliance,
others mean and rueful of the western dream"

unless the guy was a really huge prick then I'd pawn it and buy something nice for myself

Funny you should mention that, when I got divorced I told my wife the ring was hers to keep, and then a week later went to the field and had stopped wearing my ring so I left it on the bathroom counter and when I came back it was gone, she pawned MY ring off.

History does not long entrust the care of freedom to the weak or the timid.
--Dwight D. Eisenhower

I am only speaking of this due to the fact she called in the middle of the night drunk and wanting to kill(she has a pistol) the new guy she is currently sleeping with(I talked her out of it).

That is seriously messed up. You are obviously in pain and hurt over this girl, but put that aside for a moment. Step back and look at this from a 3rd person view. That is not a sign of a mentally stable woman. Move on with your life. She's working on her agenda, you should get yours underway as well.

from my male perspective:

- if i proposed, bought the ring, and she broke it off: i would not expect it back, but it would be nice (i believe you man-up and live with the fact you proposed ("i" should have known this person better in the first place)).
- if she proposed, and i went out and bought the ring, then she broke it off, then yes, i'd want it back
- if i broke it off, irrespective of any other situation: i would not expect it back.

my .02 ;)

Girl proposes, guy buys the ring? Does that happen? Just curious. If I proposed to a guy, I wouldn't expect him to go out and buy me a ring. Maybe under those circumstances, it would be more appropriate for the girl to buy HIM something as a symbol of her commitment. Not necessarily a diamond ring........

Girl proposes, guy buys the ring? Does that happen? Just curious. If I proposed to a guy, I wouldn't expect him to go out and buy me a ring. Maybe under those circumstances, it would be more appropriate for the girl to buy HIM something as a symbol of her commitment. Not necessarily a diamond ring........

oh you are preaching to the choir ;)... i was just covering the bases... you know it's happened somewhere... some sad sap offers or something, they "buy it" together... you never know.

edit: spelling

Just FYI, always keep your receipt and any other paperwork (certifications) that may go along with the ring. If you go back to the jeweler you originally purchased the ring from you may have some options. Many jewelers will allow you to trade in the engagement ring on something new. It could be something for yourself, your mom, or even a new fiance when the time is right... The point is, you don't have to just pawn or sell it for a tiny fraction of what you paid for it. It usually works like this, if you paid $1000.00 for a ring you can trade it in on a $2000.00 or more ring. Granted you are spending more money, but if your next honey is worth it you'd be spending that money anyway. The way I see it you'd already be ahead of the game and not just completely out of your original investment. ;) Just my .02

Agreed. The last time I considered a wedding, the woman I was with still had her (very nice) wedding ring from her first marriage. I also have a family heirloom ring that has a few small diamonds worth nothing but sentimental value. Our plan (if we decided to marry...we didn't) was to tear down both rings, trade the stone from her first wedding ring in on a bigger, better rock, buy a couple smaller stones to match the heirloom's, and use the combination of diamonds to build a unique ring that was substantially nicer than her first and that had my family's history incorporated.

Blues,
Dave
"I AM A PROFESSIONAL EXTREME ATHLETE!"
(drink Mountain Dew)