Girlfalldown

Family trees, finding lost relatives, etc.

Have any of you ever used a service to track down family members you've never met? (warning: sappy part coming up)
My father passed away when I was 7 and my mother didn't keep in touch with anyone from his side of the family. Just yesterday (27 years after the fact) she calls me and gives me a couple of names she found of people that knew my family back in West Virginia and Florida. I guess when I was around 1, my mom and dad, half brother and myself, took a driving trip around the country where we went to a huge family reunion of my fathers side of the family.

I've lived most of my life not knowing a single person from that side of the family and I guess I just would like to find out what they're like. It might be too late but I want to at least give it a shot.

Anyway, if anyone here knows of some kind of "family detective" or something that has successfully reunited family members I'd be very interested in contacting them. No I am NOT going on Oprah. :P

Thanks for your help and please forgive my sappy-ness.

--------------

(Do not, I repeat DO NOT, take my posts seriously.)

I've never used a service, but I do know there's lots of free resources online and in person (city/county record offices, libraries, Mormon church family history centers). My folks do lots of genealogical research, but then again, they're usually seeking out long-lost dead people, not living folks.

I think it's cool, though... good luck with your search.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke

Well, first off, try google. You'd be surprised how many people can be found just by googling a name. If you find an email address for someone whose name and location matches, drop them an email with your info and how you think you may be related. Many people are quite receptive.

My uncle managed to track down a branch of the family that split off back in the early 1800s. A slave owner's brother had three kids with a slave, and then went on to marry someone else, which is where my family line comes from. My uncle managed to track down people from the other fork of the family tree, and actually flew out to Alabama to meet them.

if you like, I can send him an email and get a list of the resources he used (I know google and the mormon records were major sources, though).

Good luck!

I've already done hours of online searches myself, including Google. The few names I have though aren't easy to find and the only contacts I've made turned up empty.

If you could ask him what else he used that would be very helpful. Thanks a ton!

:)

--------------

I'm in a similar situation. I have kind of lost touch with a big part of my past and having recently lost 4 close family members has given me a desire to get back in touch with my roots.

My problem is that my great grandfather came to the US from the island of Faial in the Azores (Portugal)

How does one trace ones family on an Island smack in the center of the Atlantic ocean that I've never been to?

Looks like I'll be taking a trip :)
__

My mighty steed

Well at least you have something to go by! :)
I have no clue how to even start this search. My dad's parents divorced long before I came into the picture and I can't find either of them. I have his social security number, date of birth, place of birth, death, etc. but that's about it.

It's kind of sad really. I could have this whole amazing family out there somewhere just waiting to meet me. Then again I could also have this whole hillbilly family out there just waiting to sell me some crack and borrow some cash from me. :S:D

I wonder if they have all their teeth and hair! What if someone in my own family actually skydives? I'd never know!

--------------

Don't give up! My grandfather had 2 brothers who moved to Australia about the time my grandfather emigrated to Canada...1905 or so. Over time, the connection was lost. All my life I wondered if I had any Aussie relatives.

About 5 years ago, my cousin's husband was in an online genealogy chat room and a person came on looking for "John Stevens, Plumstead, England" - this was the name of my grandfather's father! Well, it was someone from the Australian side looking for Canadian and English relatives! I've since met my Aussie cousin and know there are lots more to meet.

You never know, serendipity sometimes strikes! In my case, a connection lost for nearly a century was found again.

If there are any genealogy clubs or groups near you see if someone can give you a hand. There are people that will search for you for pay, but lots of others that will help for free.

Good luck!
--
Murray

"No tyranny is so irksome as petty tyranny: the officious demands of policemen, government clerks, and electromechanical gadgets." - Edward Abbey

Well at least you have something to go by! :)
I have no clue how to even start this search. My dad's parents divorced long before I came into the picture and I can't find either of them. I have his social security number, date of birth, place of birth, death, etc. but that's about it.

Do you know what state or county the parents divorced in? If so, and depending on how old the divorce is, the divorce can probably be found in a public records search at the family court in the county of the divorce. With those papers you could also get past addresses, possible maiden names, etc. and have a little more to go on.

Also, if you have the place of death. Contact the county recorder in that location and request the death certificate. Some states place the surviving family members on the death certificate. Also, you could search obituaries for further information (search the local newspaper for the city of your father's death). Usually the obituary will again list surving family members and sometimes even lists where those family members live.

"Excuse me while I kiss the sky..." - Jimi Hendrix

Guest 1010
I didn't lose her, but my (late) grandmother and her sister are listed in this web site for each time they came across the Atlantic, once in the teens and a couple times in the 1920s. Very interesting looking through the records, well-worth the free registration. ;)

Ellis Island dot org

You can have it good, fast, or cheap: pick two.

I found my birth family in early 2001, when my birth aunt contacted me after finding me in an adoption registry, which then led her to my web page.

It is never too late. I think you can hunt them down. You can try to hire an investigative agency (paid!) too, experienced in these kinds of family matters. Just be sensitive to their privacy. There are a lot of books about hunting down lost family.

You sound like you have WAY more information than I had, so I think the odds are good if you put your mind to the search (get a book on this subject of hunting down lost family members though -- it helps a lot)

www.anywho.com you can do a search for last names. I have used it and just made random calls introducing myself and asking a few questions abut family members I knew and if we both knew them then I guess it was a relative. I did my search trying to find out how many realtives I didn't know that might have been Marines. jJst about everyone in my family were Army or Airforce. I thought I was the only and first Marine in the blood line. I found other wise.

local gov sometimes has a records search for next of kin.

Gunnery Sergeant of Marines
"I would like it if I were challenged mentally at my job and not feel like I'm mentally challenged." - Co-worker