Vertifly

Polar Bear Plunge!

I'm doing this on Sunday. Has anyone ever done it? :o

It is a fund raiser to help special children go to camps during the summer months and get into events for competition with each other. So, I'm stripping down to my skivvies and jumping into the freezing ocean for a while - gonna take some balls (and gonna take some balls creeping back up into my body for sure!!!)!!!!! :o I gotta be outta my mind. It is all gonna be worth it.

Benefits and proceeds go to the Special Olympics here in New Jersey. So whether it is for the kids or for the power of making my balls do some retreating, PM me if you wanta help out with a few bucks. :)

I did it a few years ago with some friends. It really isn't so bad. Our friends who came to watch us missed our turn, so we went back and did it a second time!

This year's was cancelled in Madison because of high winds and low temperatures (supposedly in the negative double digits).

-Miranda
you shall above all things be glad and young / For if you're young,whatever life you wear
it will become you;and if you are glad / whatever's living will yourself become.

My boyfriend did one in Maine New Year's Day of last year. The look of shock on his face after he dunked his head was, well, classic.

Me, I stayed on the beach and held the towel. But he said it wasn't as bad as it looked.

Wendy W.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

I did it this winter, New Years Day. Me and three other jumpers opened the show. It was a fund raiser for big bro. big sis..

I had to show everyone that skydivers do it better, so in the 25 degree weather I jumped in (from the airplane to the water) wearing only shorts. That wasn't smart. Being a cool dude only gos so far.

The trick behind the Polar Plunge is, you go from warm to cold to warm without delay. Your bodies core temp never has the chance to drop significantly.

Well I fixed that, I opened at 3G and flew my Fury around so everyone could see I had almost no clothes on. I was asked not to try to land in the hole so I landed about 3ft shy dropped my rig and stepped in. I was still trying to show everyone that skydivers are the toughest, so I held my breath and sat on the bottom for about ten seconds. when I came to the surface I could see the looks of disbeleif and I was happy. But I could no longer feel my legs and in throwing my legs up out of the water, hit the ice hard. I was cut a little but it didn't bleed much and I didn't feel it anyway.

I got back to the DZ and only did one more that day. My knees hurt by then. Doing the Plunge is fine but there is no need to go to the extemes. I wont do that again.
HPDBs, I hate those guys.
AFB, charter member.