McDuck

Eugene Hasenfus

Does anyone remember who it was from the American media who interviewed Hasenfus after he was rolled up by Noriega's folks? I can't remember for the life of me, and I'm trying to find the video of that interview for educational purposes.
Kevin - Sonic Beef #5 - OrFun #28
"I never take myself too seriously, 'cuz everybody know fat birds don't fly." - FLC
Online communities: proof that people never mature much past high school.

I remember seeing that years ago but can't remember the interviewer.
You could try getting in touch with Bill or Gene at thier dz phone or e mail. The Omro drop zone is listed in the dz locator. Skydive Adventures, Inc.
“The only fool bigger than the person who knows it all is the person who argues with him.

Stanislaw Jerzy Lec quotes (Polish writer, poet and satirist 1906-1966)

Thanks for the tip. I remember that the reporter is someone of note in that industry, but I can't remember who it was. That reporter even went and made a subsequent interview with Noriega and asked that he have mercy and send Hasenfus home in time for the holidays. I can see the reporter's face in my mind but I can't remember his name! [:/]
"I never take myself too seriously, 'cuz everybody know fat birds don't fly." - FLC

Not to be terribly snide about this, but there's a reason I asked here, i.e. had already Googled it and kept getting loads of links about Posada's role in all of that which, while interesting, is not what I'm looking for.

You know, that face does look familiar, but I could have sworn it was a bigger name, like Koppel or one of those. I can't seem to remember. Regardless, the ultimate goal for me is to find the actual video of the interview with Hasenfus and the subsequent interview with Noriega.

Thanks for the assistance, John.

Mike Wallace!! That's it! Thank you very much!

I appreciate your tenacity in this mini-endeavor. :)

I remember that the reporter is someone of note in that industry, but I can't remember who it was. That reporter even went and made a subsequent interview with Noriega and asked that he have mercy and send Hasenfus home in time for the holidays. I can see the reporter's face in my mind but I can't remember his name!

Noriega/Ortega/Panama/Nicaragua. Or was it Commandante Zero? Don't cry for me, Argentina? It all gets to be blur after a while, doesn't it. We're lucky to remember anything at all.

Mark

Actually got to meet Gene for the first time this past weekend at Omro. Looks like he is doing well. Didn't realize there was so much history to go with the person. :S

That fascinates me to no end, I have to say. Perhaps I'll have to make a trip down there one day. I'd love to meet him in person. But perhaps he's tired of that portion of his past and the hornets' nest it turned into.

Actually got to meet Gene for the first time this past weekend at Omro. Looks like he is doing well. Didn't realize there was so much history to go with the person. :S

Are you sure you met Gene?

His brother Bill is the DZO at Omro, Gene doesn't live in the area and from what I understand...seldom visits the dropzone.

Hey McDuck~
A couple of little known facts...
The reason Gene survived the C130 shoot down was because he had a couple thousand jumps at the time, he was the 'kicker' and saw the SAM coming up...being 'by the door' he just stepped out.

And remember that picture of all the things 'recovered' from Gene's personal belonging?
Wallet, keys, watch...etc.
Well, in his address book there was listed the name and number of a certain Parachute equipment wholesaler / rigger...that had ties to the 'company' employing Gene...the simple fact that the address book was shown both on TV and in the magazine articles created quite a backlash, and resulted in a lot of late night transferring of an entire civilian skydiving 'business'...:o

Fortunately...as often happens when a 'civilian business' wants to change locations and move it's inventory...the Army was kind enough to help out with a few transport aircraft, and a whole lot of people.

"Your 'friends' will help ya move...your government will help ya move the EVIDENCE!";)

~ If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn? ~

Yeh, it was Gene. Introduced as "Gene", Bill's brother. And yes, Bill the DZO from Omro, that's where I jump.

Unfortunately, their little sister just passed away from cancer or something like that. This was the first weekend open in like a month and a half while they took care of business. It was the first time I had ever met him and I've been there for a year and a half.

I've never mentioned the subject of family too much. They've had a bad year and a half with other family members passing away. [:/]

Scott

I'm finding that the more I learn about this, the more I want to learn. And I still want to find the Wallace interview of Gene. It made me want to step on Wallace's face and grind.