sharimcm

Car Issues Question

Buy a Jap car. Sure, your a traiter and putting honest Americans out of work, but at least you arent driving a peice of shit American car that dies after 7 years.

I have a 03 Toyota Camry, and a 06 Scion tC. I havent had a single mechanical problem since I sold my Dodge 3 years ago...

Chrysler, Dodge, Chevy are all the same. They look great, and run great for the first 20,000 miles. Then they fall apart and you still owe more on the loan the it is worth (resale value is terrible). Then you are stuck with a dead car that you hate.

Buy Jap (esp Toyota/Scion). You wont be sorry.

;)

Looking at a Mazda 3 or Ford Focus ZX5. Same car, but different brands... Mazda is 21K, Ford is 17K...

I paid 16k for my Scion. Scion is a subsidiary of Toyota (legendary reliability). It is a great Car, and it is very reliable (from all the reports I read before buying). Power is great (same 2.4L VVT-i as the Toyota Camry), it HAULS ass, suspension is awesome (same is the Lexus IS300/turns on rails), and looks cool too. Short on fancy features (everyting is an upgrade), but great right out of the box too. If you are looking for a reasonably priced car that will last a long time, maybe check into it.

If you are looking to spend more (and get more luxury/fancy stuff), check out the Toyotas.. I love the smooth comfort of my Camry (but my scion is way more fun to drive).

Oh yeah, I can control my IPOD through the buttons on the steering wheel... Sweeeet... Thats one of the best features. :D

Just stay away from ford.

Who's he?

He's that one guy that did that one thing to that other thing... You know who he is... He does have some nice... tires... :D

And, he's cheap(er) than Mazda.

"I had a dude tip his black cowboy hat to me after I provided him with a condom outside my hotel room at 3-something in the morning." -myself

Speaking as someone in the auto shop industry everyone is pretty spot on about the toyota. The reliability of these are phenomenal. Honda and nissan run a close 2nd and 3rd. When problems do occur parts are competitive in price and availability with american made vehicles. Someone argued a Jetta and I say stay FAR away. They are a pain to fix, parts are usually 4-5 days away plus getting a local independent shop to that can fix it is few and far between. Most german cars are this way and they still don't hold a candle to japanese makes.

As far as your chrysler I'd say retire the poor beast. It will not last you another 100k(I'm actually surprised it lasted this long). Besides problems with engine oil leaks, they are notorious for their AC problems and are always expensive. I cringe whenever I see one of these cars come into the shop.

Buy yourself a camry, used is just as good since the warranty on these vehicles can't be touched. Or if you'd like a convertible, the solara has one now.
What you do speaks so loud, I cannot hear what you say.

My father drives a Lexus LS 400 Yes its a little pricey but he has 265000 miles on it and has had to do no more than change the oil. Its amazing. The place that he takes it to says that they have seen that car with almost 500000 miles on them before. THey are amazing, and i feel the best built cars on the road hands down.

Lexus is a Toyota sub-brand.

Either way, the whole American / Jap car arguement is pointless as the US versions of the Jap cars are built in the US, and the American car companies all have brands in other countries. The bottom line is that when you buy any car, you're money is filtered all over the world. A while back, you could buy American, and it would only benefit Americans, but thats long gone.

News:
Consumer Reports Ranks 2006 Cars

"Reliability rankings are based on a survey of Consumer Reports subscribers who are asked if they have had serious problems with their vehicles in the past 12 months.

"Consumer Reports said Japanese and Korean brands had 12 problems per 100 vehicles, while U.S. automakers had 18 problems and European makers had 21 problems.

"After Lexus, Honda and Toyota, the brands rounding out the top ten for reliability were Mitsubishi, Subaru, Acura, Scion, Mercury, Mazda and Suzuki. The ten lowest-rated brands were Audi, Infiniti, Saturn, Lincoln, Jaguar, Mercedes-Benz, Volkswagen, Land Rover, Hummer and Porsche."

Source: Here
Warning: Statistical problems of Consumer Reports auto ratings

Very interesting read. Thanks.

OK, Consumer Reports is much more biased than I had thought.

I also think the JD Powers survey is a lot of crap also. As a former senior-level design engineer at Honda R&D, I tell you it is unbelievable how much is spent to improve the ratings from that piece of crap survey. I'm confident the other mfgs do the same. JD powers is considered all mighty, and all bow down...
People are sick and tired of being told that ordinary and decent people are fed up in this country with being sick and tired. I’m certainly not, and I’m sick and tired of being told that I am

Does this seabring have the 3.0l six in it. If that is the case then it is done. Aparently the Mistu 6 really isn't that good of an engine, and is real labor intensive to fix if anything goes wrong.
Divot your source for all things Hillbilly.
Anvil Brother 84
SCR 14192

Guest 1010
>Oil leak, fluid leaks, engine issues, strut propblems, etc. which can be "fixed" for $2100

does it leak too much to refill? Is it reliable but just makes noises? Is the other vehicle reliable instead? You can get 24x7 towing coverage with your insurance (usually about $5 for 6 months). Sounds to me like you might be able to just put off the purchase for another year or at least until fall, then get an '06 when the 2007 models are filling the showrooms. But then again I'm a total cheapskate now when it comes to cars. ;)

You can have it good, fast, or cheap: pick two.

I voted buy a new car. I am going through something similar wih my truck. I just finished fixing a coolant leak from the timing chain cover gasket, and not even two months later my front tranny seal blew. I think I spent more time fixing my truck than I did driving it last year. I just don't have the time or facilities to do the work on my truck, and I just can't see justifying paying some monkey 86 an hour to fix it.
Divot your source for all things Hillbilly.
Anvil Brother 84
SCR 14192

I voted buy a new car.

Well... I had to suck it up and buy a new car. I voted for a 2006 Honda Civic EX, Ralley Red, with all the bells and whistles. They gave me $3K for the trade, making the total price bottom line price of $16K... :S I didn't want to do it, but I figured it was best to put my car to sleep. [:/] I take delivery next week since the car wasn't actually "in stock" but on order from the factory. It has a total of 6 miles on the odometer... I GUESS I can be happy...

"I had a dude tip his black cowboy hat to me after I provided him with a condom outside my hotel room at 3-something in the morning." -myself