jwynne

Replacing risers

I want to replace my risers for a number of reasons. The current risers have over 500 jumps on them. They are 18" risers and the slider stops at the top of the risers. I want to replace them with 21" risers and configure the risers for the slider to come down past the toggles. The 18" risers make it easier to reach the slider, but I think I would benefit from 3 more inches on the toggle stroke and I'll still be able to reach the slider.

I have a talon. I was not happy with the factory risers. I had multiple toggle fires until I finaly replaced the risers with a product made by a local loft. Looking at rig manufacturers web sites, there's not a lot of information given to use in selecting what kind of risers to get.

I'm looking for a secure toggle stow with somewhere to stow the excess brake line, toggles and risers loops that are easy to grab without looking.

What brand do you have? Why do you like it, or not?

Thanks - Janna

I'm looking for a secure toggle stow with somewhere to stow the excess brake line, toggles and risers loops that are easy to grab without looking.

Have you looked into UPT's trulok toggles with pin to prevent brake fires? Their Louie loop dive loop option is easy to find and easy on the hands.

The single nicest riser design IMO is the one currently manufactured by VSE (makers of the Infinity). Even PD is/has been using them for their demo canopies.

They have the most secure hard housings for the breakaway cable, velcroless toggles that don't move at all until you choose to unstow them, and are reasonably priced. I've got almost 3000 jumps on VSE risers.

As for bringing the slider down, switch to soft links if you haven't already.
----------------------------------------------
You're not as good as you think you are. Seriously.

I haveto agree, the VSE risers are great. I had them build a slider barb into my mini-risers that helps keep the slider down at the base of the risers under canopy. Coupled with Slinks my slider is a simple thing to pull down to the bottom of the risers.
Yesterday is history
And tomorrow is a mystery

Parachutemanuals.com

It absolutely pains me to say this, but I actually agree with him on something. VSE's risers are rock solid.

How much do an extra pair of risers generally cost? When getting my next canopy, if whatever I get (will be used unless I get something new for like 50% off) doesn't come on a pair of risers, I might want another pair to change out canopies easy.

JP did my first ever tandem and was so nice, while bodypilot yelled at me at almost made me cry....plus I think JP is only a few days older than me, so he's kinda my hero. (even if he's an asshole online like he says :P)

It absolutely pains me to say this, but I actually agree with him on something. VSE's risers are rock solid.

How much do an extra pair of risers generally cost?

I'm not sure what the industry wide "going rate" is, but I can tell you that VSE currently sells risers for $95 with Cadmium plated hardware or $125 with Stainless hardware.
-Tony
(253) 445-8790
Velocity Sports Equipment