Kell.nl

Does a Silhouette degrade/devalue more than a pure ZP canopy?

I currently fly a Spectre 210. Though it's a great canopy and I like it a lot, there are a few aspects of it that I would like different (in order of importance): better front riser control, reacting better/more to harness input and a somewhat better glide ratio. So I want to get a different (and new, so I get to choose colors B|) canopy. I will demo a few different ones soon to see which one I like most. I will likely stay at the same size canopy (or maybe a Spectre 190); I don't want to change canopy type and size at the same time.

One of the canopies I read and heard good things about is the PD Silhouette. It is sure on my list to demo. But since it is made out of ZP and F-111, I have a few concerns. I know that pure F-111 canopies degrade with jumps, and that the flight characteristics change with the degradation (less glide, worse flare etc). Now my question is if this also counts for the Silhouette, and if so, how much. What is an approx number of jumps one can put on the Silhouette (not counting line-set)?
Also does a Silhouette looses it value faster because of this? (The only two Silhouettes in the classifieds show different things: $1000 w/ 650 jumps and $950 w/ 140 jumps)

PS. Also feel free to recommend canopies I should demo ^^

What's "better front riser control"??? A spectre reacts fine to frontrisering, providing your steering lines are long enough.

A flatter glide can be achieved by using your rear risers.

Harness turns, doubtful, for me that started at WL 1.4.

ciel bleu,
Saskia

If that's the case, I'll just have to buy a Velocity 79 then...
Nah, j/k. If none of the canopies respond well to harness input, than so be it. At least I have tried at that point :ph34r:
Also besides pure harness input, I expect there are differences on how they react to harness input together with other (toggle/riser) input.

What's "better front riser control"??? A spectre reacts fine to frontrisering, providing your steering lines are long enough.

A flatter glide can be achieved by using your rear risers.

Harness turns, doubtful, for me that started at WL 1.4.

It probably is also because of the size, but I really have to "yank" the front risers to get a decent turn. Also the pressure is high, and if I get a decent turn going, it's not long before the pressure is too high and I have to let go.
My steering lines are long enough. The tail doesn't get pulled down when I use my front risers.

And yeah, I know I can get a flatter glide by using my rear risers, but I wouldn't mind that being the case "by default".

The aspects I noted aren't major things. I still have lots of fun with the Spectre. I regularly do hops and pops from 13k, because they are so much fun. But if there is a canopy that suits me better, I will find it! B|

A silhouette will probably last about the same as a tandem main: 1,000 jumps in the desert and 2,000 jumps in grasslands. ... about the same life as an all-ZP canopy.
Remember that most tandem mains are now made with ZP top skins and F-111 bottom skins, so they fly like all-ZP canopies,but are much easier to pack.

We have a Sil 170 and a Sil 150. We haven't noticed any premature wear problems on the fabric. They need the usual things like line set replacements every 500 jumps or so (like all canopies.)

Generally when ZP 'wears out' it's due to porosity of the top center skin, since a) that gets the most abuse during packing and b) it's where the highest pressures are seen in flight. The Sil is ZP in that area.