windcatcher

Have you ever hitchhiked or picked up a hitchhiker?

When I was younger I hitchhiked a lot. But I lived in Europe and not in the US. And possibilities here are statistically much lower to get killed or raped here. In Switzerland it’s much more difficult to get a weapon and we have much lower numbers of psychos here compared to number of habitants then in the US..

Is it hard to get a large kitchen knife there? :S

Anything can end up being a weapon. Even a man's larger size over a woman can be his "weapon." I have never seen stats on hitchhiker rapes in either the U.S. or Europe. Are you sure it's not just your perceptions that make you suspect it's riskier here? Fact is, in both places, each year probably sees millions of uneventful, harmless hitchhikings...

-
-Jeffrey
"With tha thoughts of a militant mind... Hard line, hard line after hard line!"

Hitchhiking was very common in the sixties and early seventies and very much part of the "youth counterculture". I used to hitchhike everywhere locally, and with confidence.

Was "Confidence" the name of your .38 Chief's Special? :P

LOL!

-
-Jeffrey
"With tha thoughts of a militant mind... Hard line, hard line after hard line!"

I haven't picked up a hitchhiker in probably 15+ years. Back then, I picked up a couple...and never thought a thing about it. Times have changed, though. I'm pretty sure if I did it now, I'd get a SERIOUS tongue lashing from a certain someone! ;)
Nina

Are we called "DAWGs" because we stick our noses up people's butts? (RIP Buzz)
Yep, you're a postwhore-billyvance

Guest 1010
A dozen Saturdays ago I picked up a female walking in the rain along a treed, curved, 2-lane highway, no shoulder, in the woods 30 miles east of Portland. Looked reasonable from a distance ... but tweaked out, malnourished, and a smoker up close [:/] ... her story shifted several times in the 20 minutes she was in the car. She wanted me to drive several miles into the hills so she could get money from her boyfriend so she could buy gas ... but her car was 10 miles away one time, at the boyfriends the next. Didn't have a totally bad vibe about it but it just seemed to be a really dumb idea to run a bunch miles up into the woods alone with meth-chick. It had stopped raining so I put her out at a country intersection with houses so she could use their phones/yellow pages to call the contractor to find out for sure where her boyfriend was at, instead of just driving up the side roads looking for him/trouble. :|

"Back in the day" I hitchhiked home (18 miles) after high school sports, early on I got a ride from a guy who worked at an auto shop who lived up past where I did. Rode with him more often than not during football and track seasons for the next three years. We had many great conversations.

You can have it good, fast, or cheap: pick two.

Ever read 'The Drifters' by James A. Michener ?
That book was the cause of me chucking in my job and 'going global'.. I've hitched across vast areas of many continents.. and it was amazing. :D But I sure wouldn't do that now days, especially in my home country [:/]

Damn, I got to re-read that book some day.
"Africa is not for sissies"

... But I lived in Europe and not in the US. And possibilities here are statistically much lower to get killed or raped here....

want to try South Africa ??? B|

... much more difficult to get a weapon and we have much lower numbers of psychos here compared to number of habitants then in the US..

We don't necessary have psychos, but many here have no regard for life ...yours or mine [:/]
"Africa is not for sissies"

Years ago I saw a man in uniform by the side of the road. I stopped and asked him if he was a cop. He said "No I'm a security guard. A lady just stopped and asked the same question. She said if I WAS a cop she'd give me a ride, and she drove off."
I told him to hop in. Soon we saw a truck with a flat tire by the side of the road. He told me to pull over, so I did. He rolled the window down and said "Hey lady, if I WAS a cop I'd I change your flat for you." Then he turned and said "Drive on." I laughed my ass off!

There's all this talk of "if we lived in a safer world..." or if "these weren't such dark times..."

I used to hitchike and pick up hitchikers in the late 1970's, in the US, and when I was traveling in Europe. I heard then that "it's just not like it used to be." It's never like it used to be.

But I don't pick up hitchikers any more, either. Fewer people are hitching, and, well, those who are look a little rougher than the hippies of 30 years ago.

I had some nice conversations in France. I'll admit that if I hadn't spoken good French, I would never have done that.

Wendy W.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

This buddy of mine and I were going to check out a car, and picked up a hitch hiker along the way. We made the guy sit in the back seat, with his backpack. He looked kinda weird (as hitch hikers often do - )

We started talking and he seemed pretty cool though, and he didn't stink like road kill, either - (as hitch hikers often do-)

After a few minutes, I had to ask him what was in the backpack - He yells

"NONE OF YOUR FUCKIN' BUSINESS!"

I'm "Whoa Ok - Be cool dude!" - and we get back to shootin' the shit. After a while he's eying his backpack and shit - I'm getting a little nervous here now - So I apologized and asked him again what was in the bag - Again he yells -

I looked over at my buddy and we both knew what we had to do - I pulled over and my friend jumped out of the car, opened the back door, grabbed the guy by hair (he had really long hair, as hitch hikers often do - ) and threw him out of the car. We took off with the guys' backpack still in the car.

Then we stopped to look in the back pack - - -

A few summers ago on my way back from the Bay I stopped for gas in Sac and this pretty hot guy asked if I could give him a ride to Reno. He was hitching a ride to burning man, so I said yes.
I used to hitchhike all the time in the winter to ski resorts when I didn't want to drive or my car was broke. Up at the Lake it is a bit different to hitch a ride compared to a large city. I also picked up anyone who was dressed in snow clothes.
TPM Sister#130ONTIG#1
I love vodka.I love vodka cause it rhymes with Tuaca~LisaH
You having a clean thought is like billyvance having a clean post.iluvtofly

This buddy of mine and I were going to check out a car, and picked up a hitch hiker along the way. We made the guy sit in the back seat, with his backpack. He looked kinda weird (as hitch hikers often do - )

We started talking and he seemed pretty cool though, and he didn't stink like road kill, either - (as hitch hikers often do-)

After a few minutes, I had to ask him what was in the backpack - He yells

I'm "Whoa Ok - Be cool dude!" - and we get back to shootin' the shit. After a while he's eying his backpack and shit - I'm getting a little nervous here now - So I apologized and asked him again what was in the bag - Again he yells -

I looked over at my buddy and we both knew what we had to do - I pulled over and my friend jumped out of the car, opened the back door, grabbed the guy by hair (he had really long hair, as hitch hikers often do - ) and threw him out of the car. We took off with the guys' backpack still in the car.

Then we stopped to look in the back pack - - -

Very fuckin funny, SOO what was in the backpack?

http://www.swoopstudios.com/videos/videos-rex.php

Guest 1010

Very fuckin funny, SOO what was in the backpack?

NONE OF YOUR FUCKIN' BUSINESS!!

LMAO fkn troll :D

You can have it good, fast, or cheap: pick two.