SpeedRacer

Happy Saint Patrick's Day EVERYONE!

Saint Patrick was born in Britain while it was under Roman control. The Romans were Christianized by that time. He was kidnapped by Irish raiders & brought to Ireland, where Christians were a small minority. He was a slave there for a few years. He had a religious vision that he should bring Christianity to Ireland.

The vast majority of the Irish at that time believed in pagan religions, which sometimes even performed human sacrifices. He went back to Britain & convinced the Christian church authorities there to support him in converting the Irish. What is significant about this is that Saint Patrick was the first example of Christians going out to convert people in another country, outside of Roman-occupied territory. So he was the first missionary. It was very difficult, because these pagan, Iron-Age Irish could be a pretty damn rough, violent people.
-----------------------------
So much for history.

So, how will you celebrate??;)
Speed Racer
--------------------------------------------------

Dude, it's not quite St. Patty's Day, yet, but I'll play along. I am an Irish girl so I will be doing what the Irish do best - drink.
PMS#28, Pelogrande Rodriguez#1074
My Pink M

YTF not?

ummmm, have you ever CONVERTED anyone to something, in any way?;)

I have converted some people to the wonders of good beer. These pagans used to drink crap lite beer, but I converted them.:)

My plans for St. Patrick's day: Going to this club to see this country/rockabilly band. Drinks are kinda price there so maybe I will "pre-drink." (hey, I'm not driving!)

Unfortunately, St. Patrick's day is one day I DO NOT go to the Irish pub. It will be packed to the rafters with drunken amateurs. especially since it's gonna be Friday.
Speed Racer

oh, and the St Patrick's Day celebration continues into Saturday, when I will get together with my home brewing buddies & we will all peform the Holy Ritual of the Creation of the Beer!

B|:D

I am about out of IPA, so I think that is what I will brew.
:)
Speed Racer

I look Irish. Everyone always asks if I am.

For the record everyone:

NO, Acme is NOT IRISH. None of my kids have red hair, none of my kids have freckles, and my kids are only 1/4 Irish on their dad's side. but he doesn't look it at all. :|

I don't have a speck of Irish in my blood at all. None. Nadda. I can't drink more than 3 drinks in a single night, either.

NOT ALL REDHEADS ARE DESCENDANTS OF IRELAND.

Thank you. :|
~Jaye
Do not believe that possibly you can escape the reward of your action.

Irish jokes:

Sister Mary Margaret enters O 'Flynn's liquor shop. "I'd like to buy a bottle of Irish whiskey", she tells O 'Flynn. The owner of the store shakes his head and frowns. "A botlle of Irish whiskey? And you being a nun too." "Oh no, no," Sister Mary Margaret exclaims. "It's for Father Reilly. His constipation, you know." O'Flynn smiles, nods, and puts a bottle into a bag. Sister Mary Margaret pays, takes the bag and goes on her way. Later that day, O'Flynn closes shop for the day. On his way home he passes an alley. There in the alley is Sister Mary
Margaret. She's rip roaring drunk, the empty bottle at her side. "Sister!" O'Flynn scolds. "And you said it was for Father Reilly's constipation." "It is," answers Sister Mary Margaret. "When he sees me, he's gonna shit!"

and another:

What's the difference between "Shanty-Irish" and "Lace-Curtain-Irish?"

"Lace-Curtain Irish" remove the dishes before they pee in the sink.

:P
Speed Racer

My St. Patrick's day is going to be ruined due to having to work at 8am the next day [:/]

I think it's going to be an early night, grabbing some corned beef and cabbage (one of my all time favorite meals!) with a friend who's never had it. I already made some this week (My grandpa and I celebrated on monday even though he's 100% Italian and I am 1/2 irish) but I can always go for me!!

I really want to go and drink some green beer since this is my first St. Patrick's day that I'll be "legal" on. But I think I'll hate myself in the morning!

*daizey*

I have converted some people to the wonders of good beer.

Ummm - what kinds of good beer? Irish beers or just good beers? I'll be having a plethora of good beers tomorrow:
* Warsteiner
* Abita Purple Haze
* Abita Restoration Ale (you must purchase this! $1 goes to New Orleans Restoration)
* Blue Moon (with an orange slice)
* Wicked Strawberry Ale
* Murphy's (it's Irish)
* Boddington's (Guiness is too stout for me)
My Pink M

Well, we Americans, like to trace our geneology since we are such a mixed bag. You might be Irish, like me, but I see you reside in Australia. B|
My Pink M

Yep. However, spending the first 21 years of my life in Ireland actually makes me Irish

and unlike in earlier years, you're an Irishman who actually went to Australia voluntarily.:P;)

Well, we don't know that for sure, now, do we? Dave looks just a little shady to me. :S:D

Yep. However, spending the first 21 years of my life in Ireland actually makes me Irish :P.

I figured I would get a reply like this. I also feel sorry for the Australians; they probably thought they were done receiving degenerates from other countries. Just kidding!!!!!! :D
My Pink M

OK, now it's St Patrick's Day. :D

Sweet! I pinned a shamrock to my shirt this morning. I don't think they do much of that in Ireland anymore, bob.dino may know.

Since I stated one of his big pet peeves of being Irish when I was born in America - I guess I have no rights to my heritage, now. I know I have never been to Ireland and am American through-and-through, but I at least care enough about the sacrifices my ancestors gave for me to have what I do today. My poor family - starving to death in Ireland, got on a boat, arrived in America, and shoveled a path for me. May be one day, I'll get to visit Northern Ireland, where my family came from - if they can stop fighting long enough to make it safe. Umm, may be that's another reason my family got the heck out.
My Pink M