firstime

PD,precision,icarus.etc,etc

I read numerous posts about "what canopy is the best" and now that I am in the market for new nylon I thought I would search the forums rather than post. I have come to the conclusion that you will not get your answers here. Everyone has a different opinion on every canopy made.The ones that do 500+ jumps a season CAN tell the small differences from one to the next. I have seen every type of canopy at my DZ with all doing different types of flying. All the canopies that I have flown (demo'd) got me to the ground safe, small different in flare,turns & stall. Now that I have rambled on, just because a canopy is $500 cheaper does not mean you are going to burn in. I am going to do my homework about materials and craftmanship prior to buying...

I can tell a massive difference between the Sabre 2, pilot and Safire 2. Massive difference.

In regards to prices being cheaper, that has nothing to do with it as you say. The way pricing is worked is that the manufacturer sets their 'retail price', they then set their distributor prices to the dealer.

The price the distributor is then selling to you for id dependant on how much percentage they put on top of the prices they have to pay.

For example, you may see a Pilot for $1800 at one place and for $1500 at another place, or even lower and at both prices you may see the sabre 2 being more expensive. The reason the sabre 2 may be more expensive (example only) is because the manufacturer charges the distributor more than the other manufacturer charges.

You are correct, prices has nothing to do with it.

In this world, you pay for what you get, however i dont think that applies to skydiving equipment.

Jump the different canopies, there is huge difference, som have lighter toggle pressure, some feel like it is flying you or you are flying it, some open faster, some open slower some have bigger arcs than others, some have better flares and some are more forgiving when flaring.

They are all different and they all pack up different in volume. For example, A sabre 2 might fit into a wings container when the same size pilot will not.

investigate them all, jump them all.

.Karnage Krew Gear Store

I read numerous posts about "what canopy is the best" and now that I am in the market for new nylon I thought I would search the forums rather than post. I have come to the conclusion that you will not get your answers here. Everyone has a different opinion on every canopy made.The ones that do 500+ jumps a season CAN tell the small differences from one to the next. I have seen every type of canopy at my DZ with all doing different types of flying. All the canopies that I have flown (demo'd) got me to the ground safe, small different in flare,turns & stall. Now that I have rambled on, just because a canopy is $500 cheaper does not mean you are going to burn in. I am going to do my homework about materials and craftmanship prior to buying...

If you truly demo'd several canopies and found only small differences, perhaps you're not truly ready for a new canopy?
During the Eloy boogie I jumped:
Safire
Pilot
Crossfire
Silhouette
Stilleto
All approximately the same size. All with monstrously different openings, all with massive differences in flight, turns, speed, flare, and all with desirable and undesirable features of one over another.
What I really want is a Katana, but they didn't have a demo.:P

I am going to do my homework about materials and craftmanship prior to buying...

Do more than homework... test drive! Or demo anyway as everyone else has pointed out. People's viewpoints are completely subjective and no-one can help you with how you are going to feel about a particular canopy.

Example? I ended up on a Safire2 relatively recently during a training camp (following a cutaway of a heatwave and waiting for a repack). Expected to like it after everything I had heard (Bigway for instance I know likes them) but I found both the 169 and 149 'slushy' and unresponsive with really poor flare (loaded up at about 1.35 on the 149) while the Sabre2 150 I put about 50 jumps on some time ago was much crisper although the openings sucked. I am not saying don't get a Safire2, just that it comes down to what YOU like, not anything anyone else can tell you... :|;)

Not one shred of evidence supports the theory that life is serious - look at the platypus.

I can see how you would feel that way about the Safire 2 being slushy if you like the feel of the sabre 2.

I completly disagree with you more than anything...... however, that right there proves your point you are making to him 100%

It's a funny thing how i find a safire 2 to feel like an extension of my body and a sabre 2 the opposite while you have the opposite opinion.

As you say, every person has a different feel to canopies.
Just like wearing a pair of pants or a pair of shoes or sunglasses etc.

Your statement also proves again that the difference amongst similar/same class canopies are HUGE.

side note- I have only ever jumped a safire 2 at the max recommended wing loading for a long period of time. When i did jump a safire 2 2 sizes up than what i like (129) i had the most shoking openings ever, However i have to presume that was the packer being a wanker to me as i had never felt or witnessed such slamming openings before.... I mean these hurt, but i cant see that having anything to do with the wingloading.

.Karnage Krew Gear Store

All the major manufacturers make quality products, using quality materials. DO NOT make the mistake of thinking that any manufacturer has never, or never will put a flawed product out the door. It happens. Just as long as they deal correctly with problems it is not a big deal.

Find a canopy that opens and handles the way you like it, and buy one.

Or, more succinctly, as the phrase goes, "shut up and jump."

-- Jeff
My Skydiving History

there's more to a canopy then just the canopy...there is also the company behind the canopy. and there are definitely some shady companies out there. PD's customer service is bar none the best out there, you won't have to wait a month to find out the cost of a reline, or wait another 3 months to actually get it relined, if you want to talk canopies with them all you have to do is call up (even about non-PD canopies), you'll almost always talk to a person not have to leave multiple messages, i could go on but i think you get my point.

you're right in saying that the canopies out there today are very similar, so what's the difference? THE COMPANY behind the canopy.
Slip Stream Air Sports
Do not go softly, do not go quietly, never back down

I can tell big differences in the way similar class canopies (say, Sabre2/Safire2/Pilot) handle and feel in flight and I've never done anything close to 500 jumps a season. I don't even have 500 jumps.
Do you want to have an ideagasm?