Laptops: Alienware vs Sager

I've heard unfavorable things about Alienware laptops recently. I must admit they have a very snazzy ad campaign, but post-purchase support is apparently poor, and I've heard it said that they don't revise driver software once their product is out the door, so if you've got an app or game that needs a newer driver, you're alleged to be SOL when it comes to Alienware.

I've been told that Sager makes a superior product and has superious product support, and I thought I'd try the opinions of dz commers.

Remarks and (informed!) opinions, please?

mh

ps - I realize that a $3k laptop will be worth about $1.98 in about 5 years or less, so I'm considering buying an Omega Speedmaster instead - at least it'll still be worth something after five years!
"The mouse does not know life until it is in the mouth of the cat."

I don't have any knowledge on the machines themselves, but Alienware had some MAJOR product placement in the new movie "Stay Alive" (and they looked really cool) :S
Pete Draper,

Just because my life plan is written on the back of a Hooter's Napkin, it's still a life plan.... right?

I've been told that Sager makes a superior product and has superious product support,

I didn't mean to, but sink me, I think I just invented a new phrase...!:SB|:D

mh
"The mouse does not know life until it is in the mouth of the cat."

I have owned a sager laptop and it was very nice. You are basically getting everything you would get from an Alienware except you aren't paying for the name. Alienware likes to add on a few hundred dollars so you can have that sweet alienface cover! How cool is that!:S
You might what to check out these websites:
http://www.notebookforums.com/

And these guys are really good at buildin custom laptops:
http://www.pctorque.com/

ps - I realize that a $3k laptop will be worth about $1.98 in about 5 years or less,

Historicaly thats very true. But I think this is becoming less a reality each year. Moore's Law keeps on going and technology keeps improving but Windows XP is 5 years old...in that time the hardware has "doubled" in power a few times. It's unlikely Windows Vista (2007) will require an brand new machine to run, so unless you are a gamer, a system you buy today will be relevant much longer than one you bought five years ago.

A computer's effective speed is a matrix of influences from the components that it is built of, and these days we can use components that are much faster than we had years ago. Back in the day (thinking of my AT&T i8086 in my basement) it was the processor that made the system fast. Now you can get faster memory, hard disks, mobo, input devices, etc.

Personally...I love Alienware systems. Plan to buy my first next month.

It's unlikely Windows Vista (2007) will require an brand new machine to run

Actually a lot of the stuff that makes Vista revolutionary rather than evolutionary requires what is considered a ton of RAM and a cutting edge vid card today. You are goig to need a fairly beefy machine to run it at its full potential.

-Blind
"If you end up in an alligator's jaws, naked, you probably did something to deserve it."

Yuppers....anyone check out Sunday's userfriendly cartoon? Hilarious!!

Maybe now that Dell has bought them out, the video cared and overheating problems I've heard about from owners will go down...

My roommate had an Alienware P4 3.2 GHz (or similar) that had heat issues. The cause of the issues was the vent cover did not allow enough airflow, in spite of its perforations. He removed the cover, and that fixed all the issues.

For Great Deals on Gear