chutingstar

Eclipse with RWS Freebag/PC?

I just started working on an Eclipse rig that was dropped off over the weekend...and just discovered it has a RWS "small" freebag and RWS reserve pilot chute in this Eclipse "A" rig.

Did I miss something...has this become acceptable with Eclipse now out of business? I thought replacement parts were still available? Or was there an agreement at some point with RWS/UPT to supply replacement parts?

Anyone?

Thanks for any info you have...

Mike
ChutingStar.com

Hi Mike,

He used my drop test dummy for his drops.

What this means is that I have some fuzzy memory of him using a Vector pilot chute for the tests. I 'think' he began building his own pilot chutes later.

Now, do not bet any money on that.

The Sidewinder ( built in Canada w/FAA TSO ) was tested with a Vector pilot chute and they still come with a Vector pilot chute.

JerryBaumchen

:)
Good inspection.

You should check that with UPT/RWS & the last TSO holder of the Eclipse h/c.

The "Eclipse" h/c has it's own free bag & reserve p/c,
even looks like the Vector system it is not.

Look at the mfg. dates of the h/c & the Vector free bag & reserve p/c.

The Vector free bag & p/c are TSO'd by the RWS/UPT under TSO C23B for the Vector system only.

Eclipse free bag & reserve p/c were tested & TSO'd by the Eclipse mfg. under his TSO approval, the Eclipse free bag & reserve p/c are marked with the Eclipse TSO stamp & details & the size.

TMO using the Vector items in the Eclipse h/c is not legal & voids the TSO for both items involved.

Safe Rigging !!!

I had this same issue come up with a rig last year. I was told that RWS/UPT does not permit the use of their freebag-pilot chutes assemblies in any other manufacturer's rig.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Some one had better tell that to the 300+ Canadians who jump Sidewinders containing Vector reserve pilot chutes.
Tee!
Hee!
Al MacDonald has a written agreement with Relative Workshop about RWS supplying pilot chutes to Flying High. Most of the reserve pilot chutes installed in Sidewinders have an RWS TSO stamp, plus a second label from FH.

IOW, Vector pilot chutes are included in the Sidewinder TSO.

FAA Master Riggers are allowed to substitute similar TSOed components.

Though I have to agree with Shlomo that if you install components - that are certified under different TSOs - the entire system is degraded to the weight and airspeed restrictions of the lowest-rated TSO.

On a practical note: I would not worry about Vector components failing if installed in an Eclipse, because Vector pilot chutes are installed in military tandem bundle Sigmas that operate far heavier, far faster and at far higher altitudes than (the military will admit to Bill Booth) any civilian Eclipse.

Call Bill Dause at The Parachute Center. Maybe he can give you more info on it. (209) 369-1128

Ed

Just an FYI and update...talked with Bill Dause and he says he is no longer making replacement parts for the Eclipse systems. He says Vector replacement freebags and reserve pilot chutes are acceptable. He also recommended contacting Jumpshack for replacement reserve ripcords.

So there you go Eclipse owners.

Mike
ChutingStar.com

:)
Does Bill D. is the Sport Eclipse TSO holder ?

You must contact UPT/RWS for using the Vector f/b & reserve p/c in the Eclipse.

Better have written approval from both: RWS/UPT & the Eclipse TSO holder.

I think better all the legal / TSO issues will be clean out before taking "Master Rigger Action" ;)

Safe Rigging !!!