browncow

reserve cable routing

Does the rig manufacturer say it is OK to route that way? IF so, then it is fine. If not, then it is not fine.

I think on this point you wouldn't be able to route it in that fashion.

I believe the rings may provide lateral stability of the ripcord cable and thus prevent the housing from allowing the cable and pin from shifting too far in any direction. On rigs with no RSL installed I've always seen at least one ring.

-Michael

I believe the rings may provide lateral stability of the ripcord cable and thus prevent the housing from allowing the cable and pin from shifting too far in any direction. On rigs with no RSL installed I've always seen at least one ring.

UPT Vector or Micron without RSL: no guide ring after the end of the ripcord housing at the top of the reserve pin flap. Even with an RSL, there's no guide ring for the ripcord, just a guide ring for the RSL -- and Bill Booth says the only reason the guide ring is on there is because customers expect to see one, not because it's necessary on his set-up.

Some Mirages have been built without a Velcro track or guide rings for an RSL; the ripcord housing ends at the top of the reserve pin flap.

Sunpath publishes instructions on how to alter Javelins and Odysseys by removing the guide rings altogether. (Most riggers who remove a Sunpath RSL leave the rings in place in case the owner changes his mind.)

So routing the cable as shown in the photo is not a safety issue. It remains an attention-to-detail issue.

Mark

Like others have said, there would be no functional shortfalls, but it would probably not be within manufacturer's specs. The only function of the rings is to make certian that is the RSL is activated, it pulls the reserve pin in a straight line.
God made firefighters so paramedics would have heroes...and someone can put out the trailer fires.

Does the rig manufacturer say it is OK to route that way? IF so, then it is fine. If not, then it is not fine.

I think on this point you wouldn't be able to route it in that fashion.

-Michael

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Ripcord housing and loop alignment is primarily maintained by the underlying plastic stiffener.
Rings really don't make much difference in this instance.
Guide rings have progressively decreased in importance since we started moving away from military-surplus containers with four-pin ripcords and four brass cones.

UPT Vector or Micron without RSL: no guide ring after the end of the ripcord housing at the top of the reserve pin flap. Even with an RSL, there's no guide ring for the ripcord, just a guide ring for the RSL -- and Bill Booth says the only reason the guide ring is on there is because customers expect to see one, not because it's necessary on his set-up.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

The primary reason he deleted guide rings - from the latest Sigmas and Microns - was a fear that some doofus would mis-route a Skyhook RSL so badly that he would try to drag the entire reserve canopy through a guide ring.

I would ask 2 questions to your rigger:

1) Can the rig be legally jumped wihtout the RSL? remember, at least one rig manufacturer has recently mandated RSLs on all its rig

2) Supposing that the rig can be jumped w/o the RSL, what do the packing instructions say about the
routing of the ripchord cable?

I would ask 2 questions to your rigger:

1) Can the rig be legally jumped wihtout the RSL? remember, at least one rig manufacturer has recently mandated RSLs on all its rig

2) Supposing that the rig can be jumped w/o the RSL, what do the packing instructions say about the
routing of the ripchord cable?

Agreed.
I believe that what will (likely) work just fine is different that what is legal and very different than what is easily explained to judge/jury if there is a problem.

"ya see your honor, it seemed like it would work just fine and the guys on DZ.com seemed to know better than the mfg, so..."

Personally, I'll keep questioning the mfg and packing it their way until they change the manual...

JW
Always remember that some clouds are harder than others...