briguy

bathroom vibes needed

something stinks in my bathroom.

i cleaned it over the weekend and yesterday i noticed some funk. i figured maybe i aimed poorly in the middle of the night or fell victim to the infamous 'split stream' effect. did a quick wipe up around the toilet before i left for work.

i came home, still got bathroom stank. i look in the vanity, checking the wall and wood for wet spots. i emptied the garbage can and washed it out. i checked inside the tank, it was a little gross in there so dumped in some bleach and scrubbed a little. this was last night.

this morning, still stanky. now i'm worried because i think i've eleminated the usual and unusual suspects. i think i'm going to pull the p-trap off the sink and see if anything is growing in there.

bathroom vibes needed.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

wonder if there is water in that p-trap. if not then thats were the smell will be coming from. The water in the p-trap keeps the sewage vapors from back tracking into the house. Have you had a leak recently?

no, no leaks. i have upstairs neighbors and my biggest concern is that they have a leak that is trickling behind my walls or something.

the bathroom in question is used once a day, so i know there is water in the p-trap. i'm going to pull out the p-trap tonight and remove the drain stopper and see if something is growing in there.

update:

i checked the p-trap, it was ok. i sanitized the rest of the bathroom, the smell seemed to fade for a day or two then it returned.

then i noticed some of the drywall, it looked like it was starting to pucker near the medicine cabinet. i took the medicine cabinet out of the wall and bam, wet drywall. it looks like my upstairs neighbor has a leak.

they're an older couple, so i went a-knockin hoping that maybe they just had a leaking washing machine or a leaky water heater because i don't want to have my bathroom wall all hacked up looking for the leak.

looks like my bathroom wall is going to get all hacked up looking for the leak. >:(

Brian it's your wax ring under the toilet the wax breaks down over the years and allows for sewer gases to escape...luckily it only costs 5 dollars for a new one...buy the reinforced one or the extra thick if it will fit.

Is the floor heated?...hydronic?

I just read the other post...ok that may not be the only problem if it really stunk

update:

my bathroom doesn't stink anymore. my upstairs neighbor DID have a leak and called a plumber. i left my keys with my (trustworthy) neighbor in case they needed access to my place.

i came home to a big fat hole in my ceiling. it doesn't leak anymore, so i have that to be grateful for. a drywall guy is coming this week to patch it up. hope he does a good job.