DickMcMahon

Attention: Any dropzone.com moderator

Confusing to other users? Yes.

That's the issue thought. I have many ways to keep you accountable regardless of whether you change your username or whatever primary key. Accountability in a community is also to the community, not just to the the person who has access to the "database".
Safe swoops
Sangiro

I have to assume that the database uses the username as the primary key then.

No, of course it doesn't! :S Someone already pointed you in this direction.

And that thread is why I made the assumption. If the primary key is not the username but an autoincrementing number that never changes, no accountability is going to be lost...at least for those who have direct access to the database.

Confusing to other users? Yes. Possible to hide who you are from the moderator? No.

You had me at autoincrementing. ;)

--------------

(Do not, I repeat DO NOT, take my posts seriously.)

Confusing to other users? Yes.

That's the issue thought. I have many ways to keep you accountable regardless of whether you change your username or whatever primary key. Accountability in a community is to the community, not the the person who has access to the "database".

Please refer to my post above before reading my response here. :ph34r: In any case, if someone changed their name, I bet I could easily figure out who it was as long as the search function worked off the primary key and not the username.

Of course I know this would quickly become annoying to users too. But since I am a nerd and work with databases, I cannot help myself. :)
Why yes, my license number is a palindrome. Thank you for noticing.

Plus it'd be fun for us. Like a little game to figure out. :D

I think I'm stuck with girlfalldown for the rest of my life. Had I known how well the name would stick I would have made it hotgirl or sexymama or something like that. :D That would be a much nicer thing to hear screamed at me from across the hangar.

--------------

Well,if I ever order anything again from the company you work for instead of asking for
Ray,I'll just scream"Let me speak to the bytch.:P
"No cookies for you"- GFD
"I don't think I like the sound of that" ~ MB65
Don't be a "Racer Hater"

If the primary key is not the username but an autoincrementing number that never changes, no accountability is going to be lost...at least for those who have direct access to the database.

Confusing to other users? Yes. Possible to hide who you are from the moderator? No.

The technique you describe is exactly what the dating site http://www.plentyoffish.com/ uses. It works very well. Any login ID change is immediately reflected throughout the website. It is especially handy when sending messages to new users:

"Uh, honey, it really isn't a good idea to use your real name as your user ID. Here is how you can change it..."
"There are only three things of value: younger women, faster airplanes, and bigger crocodiles" - Arthur Jones.

That would be a much nicer thing to hear screamed at me from across the hangar.

Hardly anybody screams "BYYYTTTCCCHHHH!!!" across the hangar at me anymore. I kinda miss it.

Well then I shall scream BYYYTTTTCCCHHHH!!! at you whenever I see you from now one!

Wait...don't I already do that?

--------------

>Confusing to other users? Yes.

Which is the problem. Whether or not moderators know who it is isn't really the issue; this forum is really intended for the users first. And if users can't easily associate a username with their past posts, then a lot of the community is lost.

Which is the problem. Whether or not moderators know who it is isn't really the issue; this forum is really intended for the users first. And if users can't easily associate a username with their past posts, then a lot of the community is lost.

But not nearly as exciting. ;)
Why yes, my license number is a palindrome. Thank you for noticing.

It's true. Someone can post and be an ass and then realize the error of his ways so he changes his name and becomes a nice guy and no one's the wiser. We want accountability dammit! :D

--------------

It's true. Someone can post and be an ass and then realize the error of his ways so he changes his name and becomes a nice guy and no one's the wiser. We want accountability dammit! :D

I tried that - y'all knew it was me.[:/]
I'm not usually into the whole 3-way thing, but you got me a little excited with that. - Skymama
BTR #1 / OTB^5 Official #2 / Hellfish #408 / VSCR #108/Tortuga/Orfun

strange no ones knows my 4 users names :D :D

well, save for the moderators of course.

I doubt it I have 5 independent computers I use throught the week and about 8 different email addresses as well and I never mix them!!
Beauty is only skin deep, but ugly goes clean to the bone!

I like to start my day off with a little Ray of Soulshine™!!

Since the post I was replying to dissapeared I will take it as a hint to shut my big mouth and issue the following statement: I have never had more than one account in dropzone.com:D :D
Please disregard any posts that said anything different
Beauty is only skin deep, but ugly goes clean to the bone!

I like to start my day off with a little Ray of Soulshine™!!