Ragnarok

I'm having eye surgery Tuesday....

Getting RPK. Like Lasik, but without the flap. I am getting it done in Ft. Campbell. No jumping for thirty days, gonna be pushing the currency issue, but small price to pay for not having to wear glasses anymore. I will be jumping Monday, though.

Anyone here have it done? What did you think?

Lots of folks here at Fort Bragg have had it done. Apparently Uncle Sam thinks RPK is better than Lasik.

I have had Lasik (now 9 years ago). Very little discomfort. Great results to this day. I stayed away from jumping for 2 weeks.

Post op RPK is a different story (so I am told by a few that have had it done). Much more pain after and longer recovery.

Good luck!

OK, now I am starting to get nervous. I leave tomorrow. I am having it done in less than 36 hours. I am thinking I should be elated, but I have this sense of fear - kinda like the first time I jumped.

Since I have so few replies to this thread am I to gather that very few out there have had this done???

Fear of the unknown. It is normal. After all we are only given one set of eyes. Good luck. Let me know how it works out I want to get laser vision correction done. I want it badly.
Divot your source for all things Hillbilly.
Anvil Brother 84
SCR 14192

I had Lasik 6 years ago and am still super happy with it.

It was a little scary, but well worth it.

Good luck!!!

"One out of every four American's are suffering from some form of mental illness. Think of your three best friends. If they're okay, then it's you."

A lot of LASIK surgeons are actually going back to PRK for some patients due to safety and long term risk issues. Post op, you are less comfortable than LASIK, but for a lot of people, it's the better option long term. From a skydiving stance, if it was me, I'd probably consider PRK.

It's surgery.. you are supposed to be nervous:)
Let us know how it goes.

Jen

Do or do not, there is no try -Yoda

I had my surgey done here at FTCKY.

I chose lasik since the long term results appeared to be the same (the "flap" will eventually shrink and form to the lens from what the 3 doctors told me, 2 Civilians and 1 Army) and Iwas not headed to SOF or Pilot Training.

The Army won't allow lasik if going into a SOF MOS or School, and in certian situations for Pilots.

It was a big change and I am glad I did it. Not having to fumble around for glasses in the middle of the night during a rocket attack or two in Iraq was a plus.
Additionally being able to jump with "regular" goggles or with out and use sun glasses or a bettter fitting full face is a pleasure.
An Instructors first concern is student safety.
So, start being safe, first!!!

I am 20/20 3 days post-op. I anticipate to be 20/15 or around there. I am pleased and would do it again. I am still taking percocet, but I am comfortable. The blurriness from time to time is annoying, but I am getting the week off work so all I do is lie around and relax. I am not really good for much else..

I highly recommend it if you are thinking aboug getting corrective surgery.

Now all I have to do is wait until the Doctor clears me to jump.........

I am 20/20 3 days post-op. I anticipate to be 20/15 or around there. I am pleased and would do it again. I am still taking percocet, but I am comfortable. The blurriness from time to time is annoying, but I am getting the week off work so all I do is lie around and relax. I am not really good for much else..

I highly recommend it if you are thinking aboug getting corrective surgery.

Now all I have to do is wait until the Doctor clears me to jump.........

I'm getting Zyoptix Wavefront Lasik on May 19th. I couldn't get the "regular" Lasik due to steep corneas and big pupils. Healing time is, apparently, shorter and the results are better too (most people get 20/15 after surgery). I can't WAIT to be able to see in the morning!

'Shell
'Shell

Yep; I had LASIK about 6 years ago. I was legally blind (20/550) and have been 20/20 ever since. My eyesight improved over time from the surgery; I figured I was prob. 20/30 in the beginning. The place I went to (drove over the bridge from Detroit to Canada) would re-correct for free for a year. It wasn't terribly uncomfortable, but I chose to go with what I had rather than return to get 'dialed in' to 20/15.

The only thing that freaked me out was the SMELL OF PROTEIN BURNING! "What the f is that", I thought. Then I realized the horror: IT WAS MY EYEBALLS!

Oh. And my eyes bruised terribly. I hear that some do, some do not. I looked like I got punched square in both eyes. (Not the surrounding eye, but bloodshot eye itself.) Still, I'd do it again.

G'luck! I'm sure you'll be glad you did!

°
Dances
Muff Brother #2169

"You can take the girl out of the sky, but not the sky out of the girl!"

Yep; I had LASIK about 6 years ago. I was legally blind (20/550) and have been 20/20 ever since. My eyesight improved over time from the surgery; I figured I was prob. 20/30 in the beginning. The place I went to (drove over the bridge from Detroit to Canada) would re-correct for free for a year.

That's the other cool thing with the Zypotix I'm getting ... recorrect for LIFE and 5 years of exams included in the price!

The only thing that freaked me out was the SMELL OF PROTEIN BURNING! "What the f is that", I thought. Then I realized the horror: IT WAS MY EYEBALLS!

That's the one thing my friend said too ... they told her EVERYTHING else that was going to happen except they didn't warn her about the smell! Glad I know about it beforehand!

'Shell
'Shell