raymond_jones

rigging question???

a question for any riggers on here........

situation: under a main canopy flying straight, but not landable due to other reasons, sub terminal cut away and reserve deployment (both on heading with no noticible turn: question: what malfuncttions could happen if the reserve canopy's brakes wern't stowed prior to being packed, or both mysteriously fired at the same time during opening?

end result: hung slider, tail of canopy slamming together, flying straight yet very unstable, decent rate not noticible. reached up pulled down on both toggles several times (no extra slack of brake lines stowed when brakes are set noticed when reaching up. hence theory or brakes not being stowed or both fired at same time), slider drops around 6 inches but still 1/2 way between canopy and slider stops. canopy fully opens (no more of the tail slamming together) left two end cells now collapsed, rolled under canopy with material from nose appearing to go inbetween lines on the same side. slow left turn only correctable by deep right brakes. reserve landed in this configeration.
"your the shit till you eat it !!!!!!!! damn that wall hurts..."

I don't see how most of that stuff could be caused by unstowed/fired brake lines... I also think it's pretty unlikley you could have both fire. If there is velcro over the reserve toggles like most rigs I've seen it'd be almost impossible. The most I would expect is a weird opening, and maybe it would get some twists or surge forward, but once the wing is inflated the toggles being set or not should be irrelevant.

Did you have the canopy inspected? any damage found?

I don't think I've ever seen or heard of so many things going wrong with a canopy at the same time! Sure as hell not a reserve. sounds like you had quite a ride.
"Some people follow their dreams, others hunt them down and beat them mercilessly into submission."

I've jumped a canopy with no brakes set, result was very slow openings with usually a stuck slider that always came down but had to work at it a bit. Later on the canopy had brake stowing thingies fitted and it still opens awfully slow, don't think I've heard of more stuck sliders on that canopy after that, not sure.

We have some CRW canopies (120, 99) at our DZ that are always jumped without brakes set, and some of our tandem canopies too.

So I don't think not stowing the brakes would cause that many problems. In fact the tail of the canopy slamming together sounds like too much brakes to me?

ciel bleu,
Saskia

(no extra slack of brake lines stowed when brakes are set noticed when reaching up. hence theory or brakes not being stowed or both fired at same time)

Generally the excess steering line is stowed under velcro where you cannot see it easily.

slow left turn only correctable by deep right brakes. reserve landed in this configeration.

That would have nothing to do with packing. It could have something to do with Precision Aerodynamics, no wait, a whole new company Precision Aero, lack of quality control.

Derek

slow left turn only correctable by deep right brakes. reserve landed in this configeration

"That would have nothing to do with packing. It could have something to do with Precision Aerodynamics, no wait, a whole new company Precision Aero, lack of quality control. "
...............................................................................................

funny you mention that, the only raven reserve I jumped needed shoulder height right toggle to fly straight, I know of another person and different raven that had the same problem, BUT, I know of ravens that flew fine as well.

slow left turn only correctable by deep right brakes. reserve landed in this configeration

"That would have nothing to do with packing. It could have something to do with Precision Aerodynamics, no wait, a whole new company Precision Aero, lack of quality control. "
...............................................................................................

as i said before i own 3 precision reserves. no prob. all 118sq. ft. and do 90+ degree turns prior to landing them. talking about a much bigger reserve for a tandem. not precision. all canopy malfunctions, reserve bitches, under up-jumper gear please don't reply to this thread. ("my appologies for not stating i was talking about tandems in the 1st place")

"your the shit till you eat it !!!!!!!! damn that wall hurts..."

I've jumped a canopy with no brakes set, result was very slow openings with usually a stuck slider that always came down but had to work at it a bit.

I have recently started jumping my Xaos 98 / 21 with the brakes unstowed.

Did a sub-terminal first and the opening was SWEET!

took it terminal and the opening was SWEET!

this is not suitable for every style of canopy but I lover the openings on this canopy. On heading and beautiful. A little odd that due to the drive it appears to open a little forward of me and there is less time for house keeping such as slider/chest strap et al.

These jumps were Solo's mind you. Not planning on doing this on RW at point in time.
I like my canopy...

...it lets me down.

I have recently started jumping my Xaos 98 / 21 with the brakes unstowed.

These jumps were Solo's mind you. Not planning on doing this on RW at point in time.

I'm glad you mentioned that part. Brakes unstowed means you could end up travelling full speed toward another canopy if you deploy near others. Not good for group dives