wildcard451

Windows XP 64 Bit

From the reviews I've heard.... No.

I havent used it since the old IA64 Itanium days and it ran like a turd! When AMD dropped their x64 system (clawhammer?) and intel dropped their Itanium2 it seemed to run way way way way way better. Everyone I've talked to that has used it says its still dog slow. I'd hold out for vista :P

Anyone here using it? Thoughts?

I gotta switch from 2000 up to XP to run Premiere Pro, and wanna know if the OS is worth it.

Why do you have to go 64 bit? What's holding you back from upgrading to XP Pro? Would be an easy switch since you're using 2000. Just because it's a 64 bit cpu doesn't it HAS to have XP 64.

"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have found out the exact measure of injustice and wrong which will be imposed upon them."

Anyone here using it? Thoughts?

I gotta switch from 2000 up to XP to run Premiere Pro, and wanna know if the OS is worth it.

Why do you have to go 64 bit? What's holding you back from upgrading to XP Pro? Would be an easy switch since you're using 2000. Just because it's a 64 bit cpu doesn't it HAS to have XP 64.

I run premier 6.5 and upgraded from Windows 2000 to XP. I know how scary it is to finally have a PC that runs your video capture and editing and DVD authoring software and then upgrade it.

I had *zero* issues with the upgrade. I was impressed.

Walt

I don't have to go to x64, I can just as easily go to Pro SP2, but since I do have the 64 bit architecture in my machine, I wanted to know if the drivers and such have progressed enough to make it worth my while.

Upgrades aren't scary walt. Just think of them as a way to learn new and interesting ways to curse at your computer at 3 am.

Upgrades aren't scary walt. Just think of them as a way to learn new and interesting ways to curse at your computer at 3 am.

...and not be able to use all of your hardware or apps for a couple of weeks while you desperately hunt for drivers.

Walt

Just because it's a 64 bit cpu doesn't it HAS to have XP 64.

It does if you want to run 64 bit apps

XP 64 is just another half assed release of longhorn just like server 2003... Its pointless unless you have a piece of software you cant live without that can only run 64bit.... There arent that many programs that will run on only 64 bit since software companies need to keep pace with what their end users have, so they can actually sell software...

XP pro sp2... everyone pretty much has a copy and it will be good enough till longhorn comes out in 2008.

Vista is currently set to ship to enterprises in November of '06 and consumers at the first of '07. Vista is native 32/64 bit capible and there is no reason to really not jump to Vista if you are running 64 bit (except all the bugs that will arise). I've looked at XP 64 and decided that for the 1 application that could use it.. its not worth it right now. In the next 24 months look for that to change though as more companies are adopting 64 bit as the next platform for the higher end software like Premiere, Avid, etc.
Yesterday is history
And tomorrow is a mystery

Parachutemanuals.com

I run premiere pro on a 32 bit XP. There are not many 64 bit programs running yet and as far as I know Premiere pro is not a 64 bit app But i was wroung once before

http://techreport.com/reviews/2005q1/64-bits/index.x?pg=1

Interesting article. Personally, I'm waiting as long as possible before my next purchase. Some major market shifts are on the horizon.

J
Shhh... you hear that sound? That's the sound of nobody caring!

I run premiere pro on a 32 bit XP. There are not many 64 bit programs running yet and as far as I know Premiere pro is not a 64 bit app But i was wroung once before

http://techreport.com/reviews/2005q1/64-bits/index.x?pg=1

Interesting article. Personally, I'm waiting as long as possible before my next purchase. Some major market shifts are on the horizon.

J

Very good info. One place to keep an eye on is gaming. Gaming is always cutting edge technology. Once nVidia and ATI both scrapped AGP and only released the newest cards PCIe. It became very apparent, new stuff is on the horizon.

64 bit is the future, I'm waiting as long as I can till I upgrade my system again. [:/]

"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have found out the exact measure of injustice and wrong which will be imposed upon them."

It's messed up really. Sun Micro has been using 64 bit hardware and software on their systems for about 8 years now. Shows how slow retail has to catch up to corporate. But you're right, it is gaming that pushes the retail industry.