Brian425

A homeless person's opinion on the energy crisis

By my office is a homeless guy who sits on the benches by the side of the building. He reads all the newspaper everyday because as he says, he has time and they are free (people give them to him).

I give him a cigarette when ever he asks. Today, he asks what kind of car I drive. Then he asks what I think about the price of gas and heating my home. I told him that "The price of fuel hurts". He then said, next time you go to vote, look for a President that has a "real energy" policy. We shrug off Iran and Venezuela and have not got oil flowing steadily from Iraq. He then asked why 20 years ago Brazil moved toward ethanol. Why is solar power just a "niche" market here in the US.

I have to admit, it was one of the most intelligent 10 minute conversation about the energy issues I've had with anyone.

I left and I felt a little sad. Who knows what his problem is. The fact is, when you take the time to talk to him, his is clearly intelligent. Hopefully he can solve his own problems.

I think I'll be chatting with him a little more. I know I can't fix his problems; but, hopefully we will both learn a little.

The only time you should look down on someone is when you are offering them your hand.

It wouldn't suprise me to find that there are a lot of homeless people that are like that...

Think of H. D. Thoreau... he would have probably been that guy and he produced a very well read set of documents...

Scott
Livin' on the Edge... sleeping with my rigger's wife...

By my office is a homeless guy who sits on the benches by the side of the building. He reads all the newspaper everyday because as he says, he has time and they are free (people give them to him).

I give him a cigarette when ever he asks. Today, he asks what kind of car I drive. Then he asks what I think about the price of gas and heating my home. I told him that "The price of fuel hurts". He then said, next time you go to vote, look for a President that has a "real energy" policy. We shrug off Iran and Venezuela and have not got oil flowing steadily from Iraq. He then asked why 20 years ago Brazil moved toward ethanol. Why is solar power just a "niche" market here in the US.

I have to admit, it was one of the most intelligent 10 minute conversation about the energy issues I've had with anyone.

I left and I felt a little sad. Who knows what his problem is. The fact is, when you take the time to talk to him, his is clearly intelligent. Hopefully he can solve his own problems.

I think I'll be chatting with him a little more. I know I can't fix his problems; but, hopefully we will both learn a little.

Next time ask him if hes chosen to be a vagabond. Maybe his problem is society. I know plenty of people who have chosen to give up "mainstream" life to live on the streets and roam freely wherever they choose. its definately not easy but to some its preferable to that of suit & tie guy in a 9 to 5.

I guess he has his issues.

That's the kicker isn't it... :|

So do most of us.

True... but most of us don't walk around begging for money from strangers.

well... not exactly... :D:D
Livin' on the Edge... sleeping with my rigger's wife...

the onlt homeless people I am sure to avoid are the ones who talk (scream) at the wind and the ones who are so busy begging they become selfish and pushy.

the ones who don't act I owe them something are the ones that I will buy lunch for on occasion
My photos

My Videos