ACMESkydiver

Wussy Parents! I just don't get it.

This was a major point of contention between me and my ex over raising our son. I was the one who let him do stuff, she babied him almost to the point of wiping his ass for him.
My reality and yours are quite different.
I think we're all Bozos on this bus.
Falcon5232, SCS8170, SCSA353, POPS9398, DS239

I don't think it's so much that parents these days are "wussy" more than it is a lot of parents let their kids do whatever the fuck they want (yes even at 10) and some parents just don't want their children around (i.e. sleep overs) certain behavior. In this day and age, I don't blame parents for being extra protective.

Seattle just had some tragic shootings at an after rave party early in the morning a few weeks ago. Even more horrible, two of the victims were a 14 year old girl and 15 year old girl. But is it really a good idea to let children that young go to all night parties with alcohol and drugs present? I don't think so, yet that's what some parents consider appropriate.

Children today are bombarded constantly with sexual messages on TV that would have never made it on the air when I was a kid. Any wonder that the average age of first sexual activity in this country is lower than ever? Kids don't always make good long range decisions, especially when being assaulted by all those raging hormones. We'll keep the chaperones in place, thank you.

You are 100% right on everything except the questions about fire arms in the home. It is a valid question. If you have guns and store them properly, just show them the lock box and be done with it.

Here's where my view differs and I'll tell you why.

If we are in a society that parades around weapons and makes STUPID mistakes handling weapons (which we are, I admit that), then I am DAMN SURE not walking around the neighborhood and letting people know what I have in my house. Just like I wouldn't go bragging about a safe, heirloom jewelry, stores of cash, etc etc that I may or may not have on premises.

Here's what I did: I told the concerned moms (yes, more than one) that IF we have weapons, they are secured far better than any other family they have ever met. I also explained that we have Autistic twin sons. Our house is by far, SAFER than yours. (Was that mean? Maybe, but if they want to give me the inquisition, I'll let them know in no uncertain terms that they are more of a danger to my family than the reverse.)

I also let the know that I would not tell them, nor anyone else, if we DID have weapons in the house. I would not make my home a target for potential break-ins. If that was not a good enough explanation, they were welcome to drop off and pick up, which some of the did.

Even so, we had 10 little girls spend the night last night (including the MOST paranoid mom's little girl! :ph34r:) and it was MARVELOUS!!!

We played 'Life size Clue'. Joe and I had all the girls stand on the porch while we spread out 'Clue' game cards throughout the house. Then we brought them in, 4 to a room, and Joe rolled the dice. Whatever # came up was the # of steps they could each take. At the end, we found out 'who killed Nemo' (we used a stuffed Nemo fish as the 'victim').

We played Guesstures and Scattergories, we ate pizza and cake...the girls swam and told stories. They played on our trampoline and on the swings, they climbed on the play systemtower and sat on the porch swing. NO tv necessary...no movies, all play time. We had a blast! Jaleesa Marie was so pleased. :)
~Jaye
Do not believe that possibly you can escape the reward of your action.

These parents are just being overly protective. I feel sorry for their kids.

But... that protection is a double edged sword. It means the parents care, that they are aware of dangers in the shadows that they want to protect their children from, that they only hope that their children experience happy positive things. Those a good things. Things that a parent should want. I would much rather see a parent take interest than casual neglect. But I do agree that it should be tempered with some common sense and understanding that children do get hurt and that a golden future can not be guaranteed.

At any rate... Hope the party went well.

Karen

To an extent, I have to disagree with you, Karen. I believe a lot of parents are so cautions because they care so much, but I also believe a lot of parents are so overly cautious because it's easier to operate by-the-book than to get to know your kids. Basically, I think a lot of parents substitute paranoia for real involvement in their kids' lives. It's easier to shield your kids from life than to get involved in your kids lives and figure out what they're really ready for, what their friends are like, what their friends parents are like, etc. There was never any question about whether or not it was okay for me to go to a sleepover when I was seven years old because my parents KNEW my friends's parents in more than just a passing manner. And if they didn't know the parents of one of my friends, they called the parents of a friend they did know and asked what he or she knew about them. A big part of my parents' lives was getting involved with our lives. I get the impression that a lot of parents today focus so much on their own lives that when the kids ask permission for something, like a sleepover, the parents' don't have enough data to make an educated decision. The only operating data they have is the 60 Minutes special they saw last week about "The Dangers of Letting Your Kids Spend the Night at a Friend's House."
I don't have an M.D. or a law degree. I have bachelor's in kicking ass and taking names.

***Times have changed a little when I was a wee littlen, if one of my mates got the measles or chicken pox, the mums would ring around and ORGANISE a slumber party for all of us. The theory was that we all get chicken pox at the same time and get it over with.
Run that by your moms group see wht they think

I was intentionally exposed to chicken pox when my best friend had it. We had a slumber party on a school night. I have exposed my boys twice and they still haven't gotten it. My doc says they may be naturally immune to it. I absolutely believe that children who are exposed to some things have a much better immune system. It's funny, but the few mom's in my groups who believe otherwise seem to have frequently ill children.

To answer the thread, yes I would let my kids go to sleepovers. Usually, though, my house is the "hangout":)
Mrs. WaltAppel

All things work together for good to them that love God...Romans 8:28

yeah i dont know what it is but people are too generally overprotected. I mean I sure they didn't bike with a helmet and pads, etc and all this other stuff. I mean isn't being/getting hurt part of growing up and learning. It's like the child who still touches the hot oven or dish, but because they need to learn for themselves. :S

Narcissism and people not taking enough responsibiliy today runs throughout this society in the US. Kids are being raised to be so dependant on others and so risk avoidant. makes me hope for a better tomorrow than how i currently see it. [:/]

Where is my fizzy-lifting drink?

Wern't the doctors taught to cut the umbilical cord just after birth? My three kids will get to go to any friends house they want to as long as I know where the house is and can meet the parents at least once. Yes there are some sickos in the world today and we need to protect our children, but completely keeping them from the outside world is not the answer people....
Blue SkiesBlack DeathFacebook
www.PLabsInc.com
www.SkydiveDeLand.com
www.FlyteSkool.ws

Great thread, and interesting to read the diverse opinions.

The cartoon "Baby Blues" had perhaps the most apt statement regarding many of today's parents I've ever read. They've been doing a "Parenting: Then and Now" series...this one went something like this: the little one sitting on the ground, with Mom and Dad attending to the boo-boo on little Zoe's knee.

Then: "I guess you learned a lesson about climbing trees, didn't you"?

Now: "We need legislation to make trees safer"! ;)

Glad the party went well. :)
Doctor I ain't gonna die,
Just write me an alibi! ---- Lemmy/Slash