Texas-Girl

New...with some questions

I plan to do my AFF cert this summer. I have narrowed my DZ down to two choices and will choose between them soon.

1. Do I need to buy any equipment or is it best to rent gear for now?

2. Roughly, what is the timeframe for earning the certification? I'm sure it's based on the DZ's schedule and on my schedule...but roughly, how does do most people take to complete it? A month? A year?

Defiantly rent. You wouldnt buy a car before you could drive. Plus the rig you start off on will not be the same rig you will use when you have 30 jumps. It took me 2 months to get my license because of weather, money, and time. Skydive Spaceland have had students get their license in 3 days (rare!) it just all depends.

1. Buy NOTHING now. Your AFF course will supply what you need. Talk with your instructors about gear that is suitable for you as your training progresses.

2. The timetable is usually driven by two things: WEATHER and your availability/finances. If you have the $$, the time, and good weather, you can get your license rather quickly. There are several places that advertise a "1-week to your A-license" program.

The other important variable is how quickly you learn the required skills. If you don't need to repeat levels... it goes fast. If you have trouble learning the skills, you will spend more time repeating jumps.

If you have good weather, time, $$, and learn fast; completing AFF in a weekend is not unreasonable. My home DZ has a 3 student jump per day limit (if I remeber correctly) so completing your AFF could be done Sat/Sun/Mon morning. Getting to your license (which should be your goal) will take longer.

Welcome aboard. Blue Skies.
The choices we make have consequences, for us & for others!

RENT THE RIG!!! You will be going through several downsizes between your 1st jump and the first one you buy (probably fairly soon after your A). Buy used for your first rig. Lots of reasons. Search "Buying first rig reccommendations"
Some of those threads are still on the first or second page in the Gear or General forums.

Your first gear purchases will probably be a helmet, goggles and altimeter. It's nice not to have to use one of the sweaty, stinky helmets off the student rack. Your own altimeter and goggles are "nice".

Wait until you have a few jumps before buying anything. Ask the instructors and other jumpers what they are using and what they reccommend. Follow their advice. Take ANY advice you get here with a huge grain of salt.

Including this advice. :P

How long it takes is up to you. Minimum 25 jumps, plus any you have to repeat. How often can you afford to jump? DZ scheduling, weather, your schedule. It could take days, weeks, months.

"There are NO situations which do not call for a French Maid outfit." Lucky McSwervy

"~ya don't GET old by being weak & stupid!" - Airtwardo

2. Roughly, what is the timeframe for earning the certification? I'm sure it's based on the DZ's schedule and on my schedule...but roughly, how does do most people take to complete it? A month? A year?

Some do it in a week. I bet 2-3 months is about the norm. I took over a year, but there was a long break in the process. Remove that and it was more like 5 months.

Your availability, the weather reliability at your DZ, and how well it goes for you determine the timeline. I switched DZs after AFF because of serious problems with clouds and wind.