TMPattersonJr

That's precisely why I have two email addresses. One to give out to places that make you give them an email address when you register just so they can sell it later, and one that I actually use. It actually works really well, I almost never get any spam at all.

I use the pay version of yahoo mail. It's got a feature that lets you make up email addresses on the spot. So whenever I need to use an email address, I just make a new one. If I get spam, I know exactly where they got my address from. And I can delete the address if I want to. Amazingly I've never gotten a piece of spam at the address I made for the really untrusted sites. I get a bit at my "real" address, but almost all of it gets caught by the spam filter.

Dave

I use greylisting on my personal email account and it cuts the spam from 10-100/day to maybe 1-2 a week.

Greylisting works on the theory that a spammer mail server will not send the same message more than once from the same compromised mail server. So my accepting mail server simply rejects the first attempt at accepting mail from unknown sources until the same source sends again within a predetermined amount of time. Most legit mail servers will retry to send the mail message every few minutes up to 4 hours, then retry once a day for 4-5 days. Spammers like to send mail real quick through one mail server once, then shut it down and send mail from another mail server, etc... greylisting picks up on this behavior.

Butthead: Whoa! Burritos for breakfast!
Beavis: Yeah! Yeah! Cool!
bellyflier on the dz.com hybrid record jump